Defining Novak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Sure, I was just putting it out there before chiming in with my view. I like to know what others think and how they see things.

I certainly think you're on the right track. I feel Novak's success is based on accumulative assets which add up significantly. A great backhand can never match the sockdolager forehand that Roger's is, but when it's precise and ultra consistent, as Novak's backhand is, it can count for a lot in the end. I think his ability to redirect the ball when he's attacking is terrific, and also his sheer belief. Belief is probably a big part of any great player's success...keeping you head when those around you are losing theirs. One of the greatest feats in any tennis match is when Borg lost the fourth set tiebreak to McEnroe in the 1980 Wimbledon final. Borg then went 0-30 down on his serve in the opening game of the fifth but then hauled himself together and lost only one further point on his serve during the entire 5th set, serving around 80% first serves. That's resolve...belief.

Perhaps the most striking thing about Novak is the qualities he doesn't have, some of which you have mentioned already, such as his forecourt abilities, etc. Yet despite this he is still a great player.
    By the way, thank you for adding this word to my vocabulary. I shall shamelessly sprinkle this in ...
    I believe it ranks up there with "gobsmacked"

sock?dol?ag?er
    /s?kˈd?lijər/
    noun
    INFORMAL•US
    1. 1.
      a forceful blow.
    2. 2.
      an exceptional person or thing.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4600 users online. 6 members and 4594 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X