Eastbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastbourne

By chance, I've just watched Jack Draper annihilate Brooksby 6-2, 6-2 at Eastbourne. I now know how well Draper can play at his absolute best - he was awesome. I had no idea he could be that good. If he can sustain that level, he is a threat to anyone.

(One could argue that it was a waste of a good grass court, not a volley in sight, but hey, that's modern tennis.)

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
    By chance, I've just watched Jack Draper annihilate Brooksby 6-2, 6-2 at Eastbourne. I now know how well Draper can play at his absolute best - he was awesome. I had no idea he could be that good. If he can sustain that level, he is a threat to anyone.

(One could argue that it was a waste of a good grass court, not a volley in sight, but hey, that's modern tennis.)
    I saw Draper's spin rates on his fh one time watching a tournament, and they were up there with the highest in tennis, players like Ruud, Berrettini, Tsitsipas, Nadal, etc.

Comment

I think the Brits enjoy a significant advantage over others during the grass court swing. Ryan Peniston, who lives but a few miles from me, is having great few weeks and is currently 1 set all with Rune as I write. Ryan has played division one county week for years so plays fifteen rounds of doubles on grass (at Eastbourne) in a single week, every year. That's a lot of grass court experience stacked up. Ryan is really handy on grass and has a good all round game. He has a wild card into this year's Wimbledon and with a good draw could well get through a round or two.
      Stotty

Comment

Ryan Peniston battles past another top 50 player and now meets Scott Draper...interesting.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
          Ryan Peniston battles past another top 50 player and now meets Scott Draper...interesting.
          very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

very interesting
            Jack Draper prevails over Peniston in straight sets. Two prospects worth keeping an eye on. Jack is particularly impressive at the moment.
            Stotty

Comment

2 very interesting matches today that are virtual pick 'ems, Cressy vs Draper and Fritz vs the demon. I am particularly looking forward to Draper vs Cressey. I could see both making a deep run at Wimbledon Laver Cup. Fritz too for that matter.
              Last edited by stroke; 06-24-2022, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                2 very interesting matches today that are virtual pick 'ems, Cressy vs Draper and Fritz vs the demon. I am particularly looking forward to Draper vs Cressey. I could see both making a deep run at Wimbledon Laver Cup. Fritz too for that matter.
                Agreed. I was rooting for Cressy in his quarter against Norrie, and he delivered. Today though, I'll be rooting for Draper. Should be an enthralling match. De Minaur was really determined yesterday against Paul and pulled it out 6-4 in the third when Paul's forehand just deserted him a little. It was a great match though - really entertaining and played in a great spirit. Should be a good day.

Comment

Cressy gets through in a great match, very small margains. Draper played great also, he hits such a heavy forehand. Draper had too many double faults to overcome maybe in a very small margains mstch like this. I like Draper's service motion. I don't think this double fault thing is an issue for him career wise.

Comment

Fritz wins looking very good vs a very tough out in the demon. Fritz, I have said before, I love his game. He has to be the favorite tomorrow vs Cressy, and he would be my #1 pick as a dark horse at Wimbledon after the oddsmakers obvious favorites.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8171 users online. 4 members and 8167 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X