ATP to "Trial" In Match Coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP to "Trial" In Match Coaching

As others have noted, this seems to amount to codifying what coaches from Carlos Moya to Mourtaglou are already doing.

Better to bring out into the open? Or slippery slope? What's next: Bluetooth Ear buds for live coaching, "Look out, he's going to hit a drop shot" ! ?

filedata/fetch?id=97748&d=1655827736&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Once you go out on court, that's it, you're on your own is my view. Why alter something that has worked so well for a 100 years?

I will percolate the idea some more but one obvious thing that comes to mind is it brings the coach closer to the abuse. Murray cursing his player's box from afar and calling them f***ing idiots is bad enough, but imagine him doing it from two feet away! The way some of the top players treat their staff ain't pretty sometimes. Some players, in my view, need a nanny, not a coach.

David Lloyd was Britain's Davis Cup coach for a spell but found the role redundant in terms of coaching. Players didn't listen most of the time. Maybe it would have been different had players had their own coach rather than a team coach laid on by the governing body.

Anyway, I will give it some more thought and revert back.
    Stotty

Comment

My 2? : 1) Mourtaglou is basically admitting he has been cheating 2) Nick is right ! {It's the argument, not the source}.

filedata/fetch?id=97753&d=1655917566&type=thumb
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Never for one moment did I ever think I would find myself agreeing with Nick!
        Stotty

Comment

As Stotty indicates, tread lightly when you deviate from a proven 100 year old path. If other sports are any indication, it might be difficult to contain the “short phrase” rule and the no standing rule for coaches. If hiring a coach becomes the norm, stronger coaches associations will soon follow as coaching compensation increases, either within or outside the sport’s governing body. Players may lose some of their independence off the court as well as on it. Pressure to produce will involve coaches as well as players and fans might see a new dynamic in on court behavior......possibly not for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            Never for one moment did I ever think I would find myself agreeing with Nick!
            Hah! That put a smile on my face

Comment

With my "I'm an asshole" hat on, that statement rather teasingly permits the coaching to take place using written signs, either because that's what the ATP intends, or because the author didn't understand the difference between "verbal" and "oral". What I am writing now is verbal. What I shout at the television is oral and verbal. I for one would quite like to see signs being held up with advice such as "Hit to his backhand!", "Get more first serves in!", or "Don't approach net on a crosscourt, you moron!"

Comment

This starts to look like a Monty Python sketch, where one coach holds up "Hit to his backhand!", and then the other coach rummages amongst his signs, finallly producing "Run around your backhand!".

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                  This starts to look like a Monty Python sketch, where one coach holds up "Hit to his backhand!", and then the other coach rummages amongst his signs, finallly producing "Run around your backhand!".
                  Ah, but then there is the fake sign, and the double-fake sign. "Serve Up the T", means slice wide and "Flat serve" means under arm serve <g>

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Ah, but then there is the fake sign, and the double-fake sign. "Serve Up the T", means slice wide and "Flat serve" means under arm serve <g>
                    Yes. Haven't we been here before with catchers' signs to pitchers?
                    Last edited by glacierguy; 06-25-2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Will coaches have to cover their mouth on television to hide strategy spoken to players?

Comment

I suppose one benefit is we could find out how good or how bad coaches are. Assuming, that is, viewers on TV will be made privy to the changeover conversations between players and coaches.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                          I suppose one benefit is we could find out how good or how bad coaches are. Assuming, that is, viewers on TV will be made privy to the changeover conversations between players and coaches.
                          One imagines Patrick Mourtaglou asking , "Are you right-eye dominant or left-eye dominant?" during a change - over

Comment

I am thinking all the opponents of players being coached by Patrick will really not have a problem with this new policy. I always felt like the Serena/Patrick coaching alliance was a match made in heaven.
                            Last edited by stroke; 06-29-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8044 users online. 6 members and 8038 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X