Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

No Meddy, no Cilic, no Zverez...that must bring the ace count down a bit
    Yup. Good point. And Berrettini pulled out with covid ! We can't forget last year's finalist.

That's why I'd love to see HawkEye stats -- including velocity after bounce & when it reaches the opponent. But AELTC doesn't bother.

Still, there's always somebody out, or upset early.

And this was prompted by the players' comments on play being slower.

Should average out across 128-player draw. We gained Ritjhoven, with 73 aces, Kyrgios went all the way, adding a tournament leading 150 aces. Alcaraz added 51 aces.

Fritz 77 aces. Bublik / Isner/ Opelka had their usual token appearances.

So, IMHO there were plenty of big servers to compensate in the overall average.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scor...ats/index.html
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-11-2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

TV viewing figures and online streaming figures over here in the UK were extremely high for the men's final. Just shows if you get a spoilt child in the final people will flock to watch the tantrums. Not sure what that says about tennis....or does it say more about the people that watch it.
      For TV coverage it means bigger numbers by getting outside the core tennis fan.

Sadly, that's increasingly driving promotion of tennis. Because otherwise, tennis isn't drawing enough to get widespread video coverage

So, we see TV skewing toward the casual viewer, the person that ignores tennis until Serena is in the final.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

For TV coverage it means bigger numbers by getting outside the core tennis fan.

Sadly, that's increasingly driving promotion of tennis. Because otherwise, tennis isn't drawing enough to get widespread video coverage

So, we see TV skewing toward the casual viewer, the person that ignores tennis until Serena is in the final.
        Like most things,, the lowest common denominator.

Comment

• I missed most of the last two sets. It was a rerun of so many Djokovic matches. Eventually he entices his opponent into a long rally. Gone are the days of Arthur Ashe or others who find a way to adapt for a chance to win. Nick did well to stay out of long rallies for one set. Without a way to reliably pressure Djokovic he had no chance once Novak got going.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post

Like most things,, the lowest common denominator.
            Just one data point but: Kyrgios’s final press conference at Wimbledon has 900k in views on YouTube. Djokovic's has 377k views.

Comment

Just one data point but: Kyrgios’s final press conference at Wimbledon has 900k in views on YouTube. Djokovic's has 377k views.
              Ha, yes the lowest common denominator.

Comment

• Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                I missed most of the last two sets. It was a rerun of so many Djokovic matches. Eventually he entices his opponent into a long rally. Gone are the days of Arthur Ashe or others who find a way to adapt for a chance to win. Nick did well to stay out of long rallies for one set. Without a way to reliably pressure Djokovic he had no chance once Novak got going.
                The first set was quite magnificent from Nick. He afforded Novak no rallies and no rhythm and used slice to good effect. Once he broke Novak's serve he then barely tried to break back and was happy to spray returns and allow Novak no opportunities to build rallies. Smart move. The rallies that went over 9 stokes, Nick won. That's how out of sorts Novak was made to feel in the first set. However, in the second set Novak started to serve better and managed to extend rallies. To make things worse Novak also started to read Nick's serve really well. Once that happened you kind of knew what was coming next...slowly but surely the tide turned.

It was one match where Nick, from around the middle of set two, might have switched to serve and volley. He was consistently serving first serves over 130mph and his seconds weren't much slower at times either. Novak was brilliant at poking them back deep and getting into rallies, but you have to question how easy those poked back returns would be for a decent volleyer to tuck away. Once you are serving as well as Nick can, you would think the option to serve and volley would be easy to reach for.
                Stotty

Comment

The first set was quite magnificent from Nick. He afforded Novak no rallies and no rhythm and used slice to good effect. Once he broke Novak's serve he then barely tried to break back and was happy to spray returns and allow Novak no opportunities to build rallies. Smart move. The rallies that went over 9 stokes, Nick won. That's how out of sorts Novak was made to feel in the first set. However, in the second set Novak started to serve better and managed to extend rallies. To make things worse Novak also started to read Nick's serve really well. Once that happened you kind of knew what was coming next...slowly but surely the tide turned.

It was one match where Nick, from around the middle of set two, might have switched to serve and volley. He was consistently serving first serves over 130mph and his seconds weren't much slower at times either. Novak was brilliant at poking them back deep and getting into rallies, but you have to question how easy those poked back returns would be for a decent volleyer to tuck away. Once you are serving as well as Nick can, you would think the option to serve and volley would be easy to reach for.
                  I still think Nick's best chance to beat Novak would have been in as good as shape physically as Novak, and thus able to physically go all in on all the points as Novak does. I mean, look at their games. Nick had a better 1st and 2nd serve, no debate there. He has a bigger forehand, and just as consistent if in shape to execute it like Novak does. His backhand is close, Novak has the slighty better 2 handed backhand, Nick the better slice to me. Nick has better hands/feel to me. Nick's court coverage is equal, if he is able to maintain it for 4 hours or so, as Novak can, which he cannot. Bottom line, his game, his tennis skills are there. No doubt Novak has a better return of serve, the best ever, but if to choose between Nick's serve and Novak's return, I am going with Nick's serve.
                  Last edited by stroke; 07-12-2022, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Ha, yes the lowest common denominator.
                    BBC viewership of Djoko-Nick final up 22% over Djoko-Berretini.

That's a huge jump $.

Comment

Yup. IMHO, Nick didn't lose because of endurance or training. He lost the match in the second and third sets when he his focus wandered. {Nick has a great record in 5 setters, incl a pair at this year's Wimpy, I think}.

In the third set Nick had four (4) break points vs Novak and converted zero. Then, he lost serve from up 40-0 at 4-4. Is the tennis equivalent of soccer's "Own Goal" an "Own Break"? That was it. So, Nick was 1 for 6 on BPs in the match, and basically oh for five (incl his self-break) in the third.

In the second set, I believe it was, he was broken while screaming at the lady with 700 drinks.

Per TV and posting by other pros, several bad calls went against Kyrgios -- and he failed to challenge them. Calls are on the umpires, but failing to challenge is again a mental error by Nick. If, like other players, Nick had a coach illegally (wink. wink.) telling him to challenge, it might have made a big difference. That's also on him.

Tactically, I believe (from memory!) that despite brilliant serving, Nick was 4 of 12 on S&V points. {I got that from a stat guy, but it's not on the poor Wimby site, so I can't confirm it) Wrong serves? Bad volleys? I don't recall. Frankly, I don't like either player so I watched off and on rather than from beginning to end, so perhaps I missed something.

Comment

Yup. IMHO, Nick didn't lose because of endurance or training. He lost the match in the second and third sets when he his focus wandered. {Nick has a great record in 5 setters, incl a pair at this year's Wimpy, I think}.

In the third set Nick had four (4) break points vs Novak and converted zero. Then, he lost serve from up 40-0 at 4-4. Is the tennis equivalent of soccer's "Own Goal" an "Own Break"? That was it. So, Nick was 1 for 6 on BPs in the match, and basically oh for five (incl his self-break) in the third.

In the second set, I believe it was, he was broken while screaming at the lady with 700 drinks.

Per TV and posting by other pros, several bad calls went against Kyrgios -- and he failed to challenge them. Calls are on the umpires, but failing to challenge is again a mental error by Nick. If, like other players, Nick had a coach illegally (wink. wink.) telling him to challenge, it might have made a big difference. That's also on him.

Tactically, I believe (from memory!) that despite brilliant serving, Nick was 4 of 12 on S&V points. {I got that from a stat guy, but it's not on the poor Wimby site, so I can't confirm it) Wrong serves? Bad volleys? I don't recall. Frankly, I don't like either player so I watched off and on rather than from beginning to end, so perhaps I missed something.
                        Great points and mostly valid.

Most of the time 5 sets is not an issue with Nick as he is not working too hard comparative to most other other players with modern game-styles. However, against Novak there is no escaping hard work and stroke may have had a valid point there. But mostly Nick collapsed mentally. An utter collapse when 40 love up and again in the tiebreak.

Getting to the final called him out. There was nowhere for Nick to hide once he walked out on that centre court. He did great in the first set but winning the match was always going to be a different proposition. Novak kept turning the screw and got better and better all the time. He kept as calm and as cucumber and, in the end, he calmly watched Nick implode. Everyone got the blame; his team, and some poor woman who had just two drinks and not 700. Apparently she just giggled out loud and Nick got her extracted from the stadium.

The serve volley stats sound about right. Not sure 12 trips to the net over four sets is enough to make a judgement. In my view it was an option he didn't explore nearly enough.

Very true about the calls Nick didn't challenge. He did challenge a number of call on his serve which were corrected. Seems when serves get over 130mph the linesman start to make mistakes.
                        Stotty

Comment

• I personally like Novak. I like Roger and Nadal also. I think one of the reasons I like Novak so much is how he has succeeded without the crowd love(to put in mildly) as Roger and Rafa. And to continue to overcome that over and over. I still remember a long time ago where in a post match interview, the interviewer asked Novak to do some service impressions of other players such as Roger and Rafa. Novak obliged earnestly, to me trying so hard to be liked. Like often happens in life, when one wants something too much, it does not happen organically. Novak wanted to be liked too much it seems to me. His Wimbledon triumph over Roger, where he was basically in a Davis Cup match, where he was the disliked "away" country, the most impressive win ever to me.

I do not like Nick at all as all know. That being said, I did really like his post match words after that tough loss. He certainly did not Serena it. He said he thought he played really well and that Novak was just "a bit of a god out there". He also said that playing the big 3, even if you win the 1st set, you still feel like you are no closer to the finish line(or something like that). Nick if nothing else, when he is in his right mind, is perceptive.

Going back to the fitness thing, Nick certainly looked the better tennis player in winning the 1st set. Early in the 2nd, they got into their first extended rally, maybe 20 shots are more, Novak won the point. Novak looked to his box with a that is the kind of rally I want to play look. Watching the match to me, most of the extended rallies Nick lost was because he tired in the rallies, either mentally or physically. Nick's talent is a high as it gets, to me the most talented, gifted tennis player since Fed.
                          Last edited by stroke; 07-15-2022, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Great points and mostly valid.

Most of the time 5 sets is not an issue with Nick as he is not working too hard comparative to most other other players with modern game-styles. However, against Novak there is no escaping hard work and stroke may have had a valid point there. But mostly Nick collapsed mentally. An utter collapse when 40 love up and again in the tiebreak.

Getting to the final called him out. There was nowhere for Nick to hide once he walked out on that centre court. He did great in the first set but winning the match was always going to be a different proposition. Novak kept turning the screw and got better and better all the time. He kept as calm and as cucumber and, in the end, he calmly watched Nick implode. Everyone got the blame; his team, and some poor woman who had just two drinks and not 700. Apparently she just giggled out loud and Nick got her extracted from the stadium.

The serve volley stats sound about right. Not sure 12 trips to the net over four sets is enough to make a judgement. In my view it was an option he didn't explore nearly enough.

Very true about the calls Nick didn't challenge. He did challenge a number of call on his serve which were corrected. Seems when serves get over 130mph the linesman start to make mistakes.
                            Hey, I'll take "Mostly Valid" any day <g>

Comment

I still think Nick's best chance to beat Novak would have been in as good as shape physically as Novak, and thus able to physically go all in on all the points as Novak does. I mean, look at their games. Nick had a better 1st and 2nd serve, no debate there. He has a bigger forehand, and just as consistent if in shape to execute it like Novak does. His backhand is close, Novak has the slighty better 2 handed backhand, Nick the better slice to me. Nick has better hands/feel to me. Nick's court coverage is equal, if he is able to maintain it for 4 hours or so, as Novak can, which he cannot. Bottom line, his game, his tennis skills are there. No doubt Novak has a better return of serve, the best ever, but if to choose between Nick's serve and Novak's return, I am going with Nick's serve.
                              Super great points. There is one place where Novak is clearly heads and tails above Nick. Between the ears. He just is knows his game and hangs around until the other players feel pressure and their level falls off. Even Medvedev had trouble closing out at the US Open last year. And Novak was clearly limited in his movement.

Moratoglous stated on one of his Instagram posts that the top players thought differently. Something like "If Novak walks into a room and sees a blue couch, he will say it is red. And in Novak's mind the couch is red." Might be the same thing that does not allow him to compete in a GS until next year.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8095 users online. 0 members and 8095 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X