Shapovalov headed the wrong way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shapovalov headed the wrong way

He's lost 6 of his last 7 matches. After a semifinal finish at Wimbledon and a number 15 ranking, he seems to be losing more and more.

To me he seems to be unhinged a bit these days. There is an impatience about his style. He is in a hurry and unable to slow himself down. Even Roger who plays at a fast pace knows how to slow himself down.

Have people just figured him out? Was he over performing to begin with? Does he need another new coach? A new head? A new girlfriend?

His star seemed to be headed up and now it is headed down. Any thoughts? Any inside scoop?

I haven't seen him recently. But before he reached a plateau because his offense was great but his return game was poor. Went for too much and didn't get enough in play IMHO.

Then new coach Mikhail Youzhny tried to work with him on that. They parted ways without solving the problem.

Then he had that good but strange match with Djokovic at Wimbledon. My recollection is that Shapo completely controlled the pace of play, dictated points -- and yet managed to lose in straight sets.

Since then. Nada. I'd also like to know why -- and hope he can fix it. He brings some excitement to tennis.

Comment

I agree that his return game is bad. But actually I wonder if it is not a symptom of greater problem. He does not have good defense. As offensive as Federer was, he always had defense and defense to offense. Shapo only has offense to offense.

I also feel that for a one hander both his backhand volley and backhand slice are not good. His topspin is superb but his slice is not good.

I hope that he finds his way too. He is a very exciting player and I was hoping he would move up a bit this year. Now I am afraid that he will fade out of the top 20 very soon.

Comment

I have seen him play a handful of times and found him a bit thick. I cannot think of a great player who does stupid things on a tennis court...with the exception of perhaps Nastase.
        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2383 users online. 4 members and 2379 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X