Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum July 2022: Carlos Alcaraz Forehand Drop Shot

Carlos Alcaraz Forehand Drop Shot

Carlos Alcaraz has added the drop shot as a weapon, probably using it more often and more effectively than any player in recent memory. So here is the forehand version!

What strikes me is how effectively he disguises it. He prepares like he was going to hit an inside forehand. Then suddenly the grip shift and the drop shot for a winner. What does everyone else see?

Very nice clip. What I notice is how he keeps his left hand on the throat until after the left hand has past his back shoulder (never seen anybody else do this). I think this is normal for many of his forehands. Keeping the left hand on for so long probably helps with disguise a tiny bit. It’s interesting that he doesn’t use his left hand at all to change the grip (he changes the grip after his left hand is off the racquet). Also notice he’s making contact in line with his back shoulder, similar to many inside out volleys. Thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy93 View Post
      Very nice clip. What I notice is how he keeps his left hand on the throat until after the left hand has past his back shoulder (never seen anybody else do this). I think this is normal for many of his forehands. Keeping the left hand on for so long probably helps with disguise a tiny bit. It’s interesting that he doesn’t use his left hand at all to change the grip (he changes the grip after his left hand is off the racquet). Also notice he’s making contact in line with his back shoulder, similar to many inside out volleys. Thoughts? Thanks.
      Agreed on all. If you haven't seen it yet, there is a similar vid of Carlos' forehand, with the take back, and discussion there of the drop shot as well.
      Carlos Alcaraz Forehand Carlos Alcaraz has created a buzz on the tour with his clutch match play and especially his forehand. It’s straight arm. How close is that to the mythical Federer model? Does his slightly more extreme grip—in between Fed and Nadal--make a difference? Look at how long he hangs onto the

I'd say that his take back helps disguise his drop shot, and the grip change might be hidden at times, depending on where his opponent is.

Myself, I'm not sure if he always changes his grip at the same time, or chucks it in his right hand ala Rafa.

The other point about his drop shot is when he uses it, as much s how he does it. Rarely see ATP pros hit drop shots on momentous points -- Rafa down 3 match points vs Medy at AO being a prime exception.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy93 View Post
        He really looks like he's going to bash a regular forehand before he quickly moves into the dropper. I completely agree that the left hand on the throat for so long really disguises it.

Comment

The disguise is excellent and the elongated unit turn probably creates a little built in disguise for all of his forehands. It seems like he waits one extra beat before switching the grip on the dropper...he almost starts the forward swing and then makes the grip change where I think most guys make the grip change and then bring the forward swing. It is really close, but it seems like he waits one extra little beat in the rhythm making it so deceiving. It also helps as Jeff said it looks like he is going to bash the heck out of it like the shot he probably hit before! He could do 15 different things with this ball!

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
            The disguise is excellent and the elongated unit turn probably creates a little built in disguise for all of his forehands. It seems like he waits one extra beat before switching the grip on the dropper...he almost starts the forward swing and then makes the grip change where I think most guys make the grip change and then bring the forward swing. It is really close, but it seems like he waits one extra little beat in the rhythm making it so deceiving. It also helps as Jeff said it looks like he is going to bash the heck out of it like the shot he probably hit before! He could do 15 different things with this ball!
            I noticed that as well in an earlier post about his drop shot. His grip change to the drop shot grip happens later it seems than I have ever seen, about as late as possible, which is a big plus obviously for disguise.

Comment

This is the only player I can think of that is on the same level of disguise as Alcaraz, the massive underachieving Tomic. Tomic did it without even changing his grip somehow it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                https://youtu.be/I73aIMbJn6U

This is the only player I can think of that is on the same level of disguise as Alcaraz, the massive underachieving Tomic. Tomic did it without even changing his grip somehow it seems.
                That was a good one. He kind of hits across the face of the ball.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

That was a good one. He kind of hits across the face of the ball.
                  I is very difficult to see exactly how he hits it in real time. To me, it looks like he comes across the lower portion of the ball with kind of a 2 o'clock ro 8 o'clock motion. Never seen a shot like it. Impossible to read

Comment

Tomic dropshot clip looked like a right to left “ face of the ball swipe” (3 to 8 o’clock) sidespin dropshot with little forward ball speed resulting in a low, slow curve bounce toward sideline. Alcatraz dropshot looks like racket face goes right to left but sidespin created is hit from inside/out fh body position to hit 3 to 8 underneath the ball resulting in a higher, closer to the net flight, but bounce kicks harder toward the sideline......especially useful on clay because opponent’s footing cannot capitalize on the ball height but also cannot manipulate a “close to the net ball without sliding into the net”. Unbelievable racket control with either method. I don’t think those swing paths for dropshots are needed at the club level because a club level opponent’s incoming topspin and speed is significantly decreased. Nasty and Fed could execute the Alcatraz type bounce with their bh and fh drop volleys at times.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                      Tomic dropshot clip looked like a right to left “ face of the ball swipe” (3 to 8 o’clock) sidespin dropshot with little forward ball speed resulting in a low, slow curve bounce toward sideline. Alcatraz dropshot looks like racket face goes right to left but sidespin created is hit from inside/out fh body position to hit 3 to 8 underneath the ball resulting in a higher, closer to the net flight, but bounce kicks harder toward the sideline......especially useful on clay because opponent’s footing cannot capitalize on the ball height but also cannot manipulate a “close to the net ball without sliding into the net”. Unbelievable racket control with either method. I don’t think those swing paths for dropshots are needed at the club level because a club level opponent’s incoming topspin and speed is significantly decreased. Nasty and Fed could execute the Alcatraz type bounce with their bh and fh drop volleys at times.
                      Big difference is Alcaraz goes to a traditional continental grip, Tomic does it with his same forehand grip, which appears to be a mild semi western. It is very difficult to produce a drop shot and get any backspin effect on it with that grip as Tomic does. Like I said, never seen that before, and probably won't see that shot again. His racquet work to produce that shot pretty much says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Big difference is Alcaraz goes to a traditional continental grip, Tomic does it with his same forehand grip, which appears to be a mild semi western. It is very difficult to produce a drop shot and get any backspin effect on it with that grip as Tomic does. Like I said, never seen that before, and probably won't see that shot again. His racquet work to produce that shot pretty much says it all.
                        Agree!!

Comment

Tomic's drop shot in the clip is highly skilled. You wouldn't want to have to pull it off time and time again but as a shot played on the spur of the moment it's quite exceptional. The great thing about Alcaraz's drop shot is he can play it 10 times in a match and not miss one. I think it's the best I've seen.
                          Stotty

Comment

I can understand that becuase the feeling of discovering a great article is similar to finding gold in a salt-mine. The internet is full of tutorials and resources, but not all of them are good, and with such huge numbers, it has become increasingly difficult to find good resources, or should I call the gem of articles, which everybody wants to read https://mlsdev.com/blog/how-to-create-social-media-app.
                            Last edited by onielrickler; 07-25-2022, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7713 users online. 7 members and 7706 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X