What I Learned from the Inner Game of Tennis: Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Learned from the Inner Game of Tennis: Part 1

Would love to get your thoughts on my article, "What I Learned from the Inner Game of Tennis: Part 1"

I like your use of mental images or as you call them "check points." When teaching players as we have seen there are a myriad of different unit turns with racquet angles etc, but the unit turn, left arm stretch, and extension on the forehand allows players to have their own unique swing as long as they hit the check points. The most common forehand checkpoint I seem to be teaching at my new tennis home is the left arm stretch which is non existent below the 4.0 level in club tennis. But teaching it with predominately or only words would be a nightmare! A picture/image is worth a thousand words right?! When learning or achieving any goal in life the most powerful catalyst is a mental picture of yourself doing something and that's when major incremental advances take place. When you have a correct image in your mind other parts of the swing will take care of themselves naturally. How often do we see players come to our teaching courts with the wrong ideas and incorrect images in their minds?

Comment

Well said on all points...

Comment

jthb1021: You make a case for multi -angle instant replay systems that are affordable and user friendly. Regarding visual imagery, can everyone visually identify the checkpoints that John has indicated for strokes in slow motion. If you can’t do it in slo mo, real time identification is very difficult. Repetitive viewing helps and I suspect will eventually train the eye to retain images. Master coaches/ teachers can identify checkpoints and retain their images in real time. Words, for many of us, are necessary to help zero in and identify and retain checkpoint images. Words help us to avoid inserting checkpoints that are not present. Words help us distinguish checkpoints from style. For many visual learners or ADD learners, however, excessive words distract rather than enhance the observation process.

Comment

After checkpoint identification, some of us need specific drills tailored to practice that particular checkpoint and may also need verbal or instant replay to provide feedback for that checkpoint(s).

Comment

Yep. Video. Work on the court. More video. Successive approximations over time. Words are great but not when hitting the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
              After checkpoint identification, some of us need specific drills tailored to practice that particular checkpoint and may also need verbal or instant replay to provide feedback for that checkpoint(s).
              Absolutely true.
              Stotty

Comment

video conveys what is missing or lacking...coach and player see it together and of course words are used and the plan is discussed etc, but the true power occurs when the player gets the correct image. It has been awhile since I read the inner game of tennis but if I recall the Self 1 and Self 2 stuff... so here is where i am going with this Learning with only words would be like learning at the speed of sound, while having an image helps you learn at the speed of light. If I recall self 2 is the do or allow me to do what I do self and 1 is the words talker. While learning and playing you need both, but working together and not in conflict with each other. Obviously we all learn differently and as a coach I need to be prepared for auditory learners, visual learners, and kinesthetic learners to convey the checkpoint in however they best get the lightbulb moment, whether that is through complete understanding in words, an image, or a feeling, and usually a little bit of all of them.
                Honestly I don't recall being a huge fan of his book which is why I only read it once many years ago, and I say that not to offend him or anyone else who loves the book. I would recommend Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi as a masterpiece to finding your best in anything and everything. I could name dozens of books that have nothing to do with tennis and yet have everything to do with tennis. But who knows based on this article I may read Inner game of tennis again...we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
                  Honestly I don't recall being a huge fan of his book which is why I only read it once many years ago, and I say that not to offend him or anyone else who loves the book. I would recommend Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi as a masterpiece to finding your best in anything and everything. I could name dozens of books that have nothing to do with tennis and yet have everything to do with tennis. But who knows based on this article I may read Inner game of tennis again...we'll see
                  Thanks, I bought the book on your recommendation. I always like to read useful books.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Thanks, I bought the book on your recommendation. I always like to read useful books.
                    Stotty I hope you take as much value from it as I have. His follow up book "Finding Flow" is a great read as well. He was a professor for years at the University of Chicago for decades and was easily able to establish credibility for me as a tremendous source of wisdom on optimum performance state. If you have any suggestions I love reading a suggested book every now and again which helps me get out of my usual groove and find something new. Be blessed and let me know what you think

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2430 users online. 7 members and 2423 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X