Rafa Tour Portrait & Serving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafa Tour Portrait & Serving

Who deserves multiple TPN Tour Portraits more than the player with 22 major titles? This month's portrait covers the gamut. Click to see: https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...afael_nadal_2/

I also have a short, 38 sec slow motion video of Rafa's wicked lefty slider. This is an unlisted post on YouTube just for you guys. Here is one frame capture from the video. Frankly, I burned out on editing photos & video and never finished what I intended but you guys are into technique more than videography so I hope you like it.

To best see this video
    1) Click the box in the lower right of the video screen to see full screen
    2) go to the "Gear Icon" in the lower right then
    3) Select the top most resolution to see in 4K.
    4) If you want to play the video at even slower rates, select "Playback" under the same gear icon. I suggest trying 50%.

Here's the link.

filedata/fetch?id=97884&d=1656869979&type=thumb

Composite of swing

filedata/fetch?id=97883&d=1656869916&type=thumb

#
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-03-2022, 09:49 AM.

About the Photos.

Part of this match was literally played during a sandstorm. Now, I'm not saying this was a full out Haboob, forcing us to gather under a blanket with our camel, but it was serious. We left mid-third set with our noses, ears and pockets full of sand.

More significantly, in the second set, when the storm came up and later subsided, the air was murky. If I hadn't brought a new camera I had just acquired I don't think I would have been able to capture some of these shots. Imagine what it was like playing in that moving soup.

Look at how Rafa is squinting as he attempts this volley, as well as the brown tone of the image. At one point the swirling wind was so bad, balls would be blown toward one sideline, then switch and curve back in the opposite direction, traversing a literal S in the air perhaps 5 feet each way.

My unofficial count was eleven (11) total whiffs or near whiffs combined by both players, more by Rafa than by Carlos, who cut back more on his swings. When was the last time you saw that in an ATP match?

filedata/fetch?id=97887&d=1656870242&type=thumb

This is a big blow up of Rafa who, after unsuccessfully arguing to stop play, smiles at Carlos from the back wall as if to say, "Hey kid, these are impossible conditions, but here we are. Might as well laugh it off and get at it." Great, positive attitude.

filedata/fetch?id=97888&d=1656870301&type=thumb

#
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-03-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I got one DM question about the video "speed". This is a slow motion video of Rafa's serve.. It was recorded at 120 frames per second (FPS) and uploaded at 60 FPS, so it runs and 1/2 speed.

But you can change the playback speed taking it down by up to 25%, which would make playback 1/8th speed. (settings on the "gear" icon in the video you see of 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% ... I hope that is clear.

Comment

I remember Novak and Thiem played a semi final at Roland Garros a few years ago in a 50mph wind. The match was eventually abandoned as I remember. I think they abandoned due to rain rather than wind...not sure. Is there a limit to how much wind players are expected to play in? There has to be a point where it becomes unsafe, you'd think?
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
          I remember Novak and Thiem played a semi final at Roland Garros a few years ago in a 50mph wind. The match was eventually abandoned as I remember. I think they abandoned due to rain rather than wind...not sure. Is there a limit to how much wind players are expected to play in? There has to be a point where it becomes unsafe, you'd think?
          I remember that Roland Garros. The Fed-Rafa semi was also in blowing clouds of sand. Social media call a video of Fed squinting in the storm "Federer if Arabia"

I've never heard a number. At IW they called out the head official, Rafa protested, but official said it was "playable', which I heard as "the finals must be on time for TV tomorrow".

I suspect rain some players have been forced to continue in at Rome and Roland Harris is more dangerous.

Several years ago, also at IW, I saw an "ace" where the service was blown backwards into the service box. Literally. The returner, Vera Zvonereva, fell flat on her face trying to stop then sprint toward the net to get to the serve.

Comment

P.S. I believe they finished that Djoko Thiem semi as well?

Comment

You were right!

Had to check. Although they credit the break to rain not wind.

PARIS — Novak Djokovic's 26-match Grand Slam winning streak ended with a dramatic 6-2, 3-6, 7-5, 5-7, 7-5 loss Saturday to Dominic Thiem in a rain-interrupted French Open semifinal that spanned more than four hours over two days.
              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-05-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2619 users online. 5 members and 2614 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X