Vote for Best ATP Player to Never win a Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for Best ATP Player to Never win a Major

Here's a question that might be worth revisiting given recent retirements of a couple of the candidates.

Best ATP Player Never to Win a Slam?

I've never seen a poll on TPN, but let's see if this works. By the way, let's make the "rules", there are no wrong answers <g>. You can nominate anyone I didn't think to include, and set the deadline to respond for one week/ July 25th.

No wrong answers ! My post, my rule
    Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
    0%
    David Nalbandian
    33.33%
    Nikolay Davydenko
    0%
    Tom?š Berdych
    0%
    Miloslav Mecir
    33.33%
    Grigor Dimitrov
    0%
    Marcelo Rios
    16.67%
    Fabio Fognini
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-17-2022, 10:41 AM.

Er, Jim....Thiem?

I mean, I know that final was painful to watch as both struggled hard not to win, but Zverev eventually succeeded and so Thiem's name is on the trophy.

regards
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dimbleby69 View Post
      Er, Jim....Thiem?

I mean, I know that final was painful to watch as both struggled hard not to win, but Zverev eventually succeeded and so Thiem's name is on the trophy.

regards
      Rob
      Aaaarrggggh. I forgot. Thank you.

Thiem's not taking Roland Garros, which I mentally associate him with, blocks the USO

Done. Anyone I should add?

Comment

Of the other nominations Nalbandian stands out, though I have the feeling that Tsonga actually made more of an impact at the Slams (nothing to back that up stats-wise).

Dimitrov?

Comment

I will definitely nominate one of my all-time favourite players, who had to retire at 26 (though not before Lendl had found him out in two grand slam finals); Miloslav M?cir

Comment

I will definitely nominate one of my all-time favourite players, who had to retire at 26 (though not before Lendl had found him out in two grand slam finals); Miloslav M?cir
            Done. And Done. Thanks.

Now you can vote

Comment

1. Mecir

2. Rios
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                1. Mecir

2. Rios
                Added Rios, of the great touch and prickly personality

Comment

Come on, guys, vote !

Comment

Of the other nominations Nalbandian stands out, though I have the feeling that Tsonga actually made more of an impact at the Slams (nothing to back that up stats-wise).

Dimitrov?
                    I have a theory that success in a final really early in a career somehow translates into many more GS wins. Think Sampras, Fed, Rafa. Agassi stumbled and it cost him although he almost caught up.

For Djokovic vs. Tsonga, I think had Tsonga won that match, he would easily have won 5 majors. I know he had injury problems but with his athleticism and game, the confidence of a GS win would have been a dopamine rush. Then he would have gone looking for more.

Djokovic won it and that led to many more GS's for him relative to Tsonga. We could say it was the quality of the tennis in the end but I also think there is something to the confidence that winning gives players.

It's just speculation that is impossible to test. But I have always wondered that.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I have a theory that success in a final really early in a career somehow translates into many more GS wins. Think Sampras, Fed, Rafa. Agassi stumbled and it cost him although he almost caught up.

For Djokovic vs. Tsonga, I think had Tsonga won that match, he would easily have won 5 majors. I know he had injury problems but with his athleticism and game, the confidence of a GS win would have been a dopamine rush. Then he would have gone looking for more.

Djokovic won it and that led to many more GS's for him relative to Tsonga. We could say it was the quality of the tennis in the end but I also think there is something to the confidence that winning gives players.

It's just speculation that is impossible to test. But I have always wondered that.
                      I believe you.

At times I hear announcers talk about "confidence" and think it is the verbal equivalent of a "bail out shot".

Other times, I see one player be aggressive on a clutch point while his opponent lets up, fearing a miss and I think "How often is that the difference/".
                      Margins are so slender at the top of the ATP.

Comment

I am going with Fabio. To me, tennis skills wise, he is 2nd only to Federer(probably Nick too, but Nick and his issues is stand alone situation).

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          I am going with Fabio. To me, tennis skills wise, he is 2nd only to Federer(probably Nick too, but Nick and his issues is stand alone situation).
                          Bold Choice ! I will add Fogs to the list <g>.

Comment

I might have to stick Brian Gottfried in there. He was a workhorse and without Borg around he might well have picked up a slam.

There are a lot of nearly men blocked by all time great players. Tom Okker was such a player. Versdaco you feel was blocked by the big 3.; Nalbandian another.

My query with Verdasco and Fognini, as with Nick, is do they have the substance to win a slam.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                              I might have to stick Brian Gottfried in there. He was a workhorse and without Borg around he might well have picked up a slam.

There are a lot of nearly men blocked by all time great players. Tom Okker was such a player. Versdaco you feel was blocked by the big 3.; Nalbandian another.

My query with Verdasco and Fognini, as with Nick, is do they have the substance to win a slam.
                              There are a lot of players in the "could have" category.

But a few stand out IMHO. Two examples that show players that had the ability to "run the table" not just upset a big player

1) Nalbandian: Only player to beat all of the Big 3 consecutively. Did it at Paris/ Bercy. Had 5 wins vs Fed until Fed turned it around.
                              2) Davydenko: Blitzed through Rafa, Fed and Delpo to take ATP Tour Final. The match with Rafa stands out. Davy was playing "ping pog" {Delpo's description) with Rafa's topspin forehand. When Davydenko started taking Rafa's forehand out of the air midcoast, Rafa looked shellshocked. H2H 6-5 Davydeno with the Russian taking their last 6 meetings on hard courts.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2564 users online. 4 members and 2560 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X