Definitions and Roles of Tennis Dispensers of Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitions and Roles of Tennis Dispensers of Knowledge

Although many knowledge dispensers( need a better word) are hired in tennis, titles are not standardized and subsequent roles often overlap, making clarification useful for young players/ parents. Titles like coach, instructor,teacher,developmental,performance,touri ng,non touring in today’s world of specialization, make the title “ club pro” pretty generic. Ideas?? JY, is this even a worthwhile topic for an article? There are likely differences of opinion by experts, especially in the overlap between developmental and performance coach.

Yeah it's a free for all because anyone can call themselves anything. PTA and PTR certification counts for something but...In my opinion the titles don't mean much. Players and parents just need to trust their instincts and see how those coincide with results. Lot of people though just are blind. Robert Lansdorp once said "I never met a parent who didn't think his kid was one lesson away from being number one in the world."

Comment

I see myself as a coach who works in development and early performance years. I don't need someone to define what I am because I know what I am and where I sit in the coaching world. One thing I know almost for certain is that coaches kickstart the process and the parents end up driving it. I imagine a driven parent is pretty much behind every successful tennis player.

David Emery (a former Olympic hurdler) once did a study on what is most important in developing a world-class sportsman, in any sport. The two most important things were found to be: 1) honesty, as in the athlete and being honest with himself. 2) family, and that the family have drive and are well organised.

The family thing is very true. A family with chaotic organisation cannot possibly produce a world-class athlete. The family are the root of everything when you think about.
      Stotty

Comment

Stotty, well said. I can’t imagine the sacrifices made by the athlete, the family and the coaches to achieve the highest levels. I can see where the honesty part is critical, especially for realistic expectations on the part of everyone involved. So much of elite tennis happens “ off the court”.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Yeah it's a free for all because anyone can call themselves anything. PTA and PTR certification counts for something but...In my opinion the titles don't mean much. Players and parents just need to trust their instincts and see how those coincide with results. Lot of people though just are blind. Robert Lansdorp once said "I never met a parent who didn't think his kid was one lesson away from being number one in the world."
          John, that Lansdorp quote rings so true in every sport I have been involved in.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Agreed! I have a friend who keeps claiming some kid will go pro and then asks me whether my daughter will. I just politely say that I want her to get better. That is really all anyone can do. Going pro is in many respects out of our hands. Effort, determination and even money and expertise can only go so far.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              I see myself as a coach who works in development and early performance years. I don't need someone to define what I am because I know what I am and where I sit in the coaching world. One thing I know almost for certain is that coaches kickstart the process and the parents end up driving it. I imagine a driven parent is pretty much behind every successful tennis player.

David Emery (a former Olympic hurdler) once did a study on what is most important in developing a world-class sportsman, in any sport. The two most important things were found to be: 1) honesty, as in the athlete and being honest with himself. 2) family, and that the family have drive and are well organised.

The family thing is very true. A family with chaotic organisation cannot possibly produce a world-class athlete. The family are the root of everything when you think about.
              I saw a different study where it was that an athlete liked tennis more than school and the family. I guess kind of the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

John, that Lansdorp quote rings so true in every sport I have been involved in.
                People are delusional and it hurts kids in the end. If they just played it because they like to play and want to try their best, then it would be much better. I never even made my HS tennis team. I missed by one match. I played on the club team in college. Have played amateur tournaments. Coached my kids. Met a ton of people I would not have met otherwise (like on this board).

Is that not enough of a gift? Why does success have to be measured as being the best? Can't it just be being more than we would have been otherwise?

Comment

Feeling a little philosophical today. Onset of COVID symptoms last wed night. Went to the doctor with a 101.4 fever, a cough and a really sore throat on Saturday. Am on Paxlovid and am feeling much better. Talk about appreciating life.

Hope all of you are well!

Comment

Hope you are totally fine soon!

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

People are delusional and it hurts kids in the end. If they just played it because they like to play and want to try their best, then it would be much better. I never even made my HS tennis team. I missed by one match. I played on the club team in college. Have played amateur tournaments. Coached my kids. Met a ton of people I would not have met otherwise (like on this board).

Is that not enough of a gift? Why does success have to be measured as being the best? Can't it just be being more than we would have been otherwise?
                      So true! It’s the ride, not the destination!

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                        Feeling a little philosophical today. Onset of COVID symptoms last wed night. Went to the doctor with a 101.4 fever, a cough and a really sore throat on Saturday. Am on Paxlovid and am feeling much better. Talk about appreciating life.

Hope all of you are well!
                        Get well soon !

Went through that recently myself. After 2 years avoiding Covid, went to a family wedding on the East Coast - 200 people all vaccinated with an outdoor ceremony. What could go wrong?

Freezing, sideways rain drove everyone into a little room and we came back sick.

Recovered. Hopefully you will be very soon as well. Suggestion: Don't rush it tho, there are people getting recurrences supposedly after coming back too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Get well soon !

Went through that recently myself. After 2 years avoiding Covid, went to a family wedding on the East Coast - 200 people all vaccinated with an outdoor ceremony. What could go wrong?

Freezing, sideways rain drove everyone into a little room and we came back sick.

Recovered. Hopefully you will be very soon as well. Suggestion: Don't rush it tho, there are people getting recurrences supposedly after coming back too quickly.
                          Thanks! Almost back to normal after 10 days.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8503 users online. 2 members and 8501 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X