Best Paid Tennis Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Paid Tennis Players

One common thread, combined, they've barely played in the last year!

Best Paid tennis players in the last 12 months, via Forbes (milion dollars):

1. Federer, 90
    2. Osaka, 56,2
    3. S. Williams, 35,1
    4. Nadal, 31,4
    5. Djokovic, 27,1
    6. Raducanu, 21,1
    7. Medvedev, 19,3
    8. Nishikori, 13,2
    9. V. Williams, 12
    10. Alcaraz, 10,9

Amazing Venus is still right up there despite not winning a singles slam since 2008!
    Stotty

Comment

From a pay equality standpoint one can read into this what one wants to see.

One side, Serena and Osaka are making a lot more money than Djokovic, arguably the best tennis player today.

On the other side, top WTA players are the highest paid female athletes while top ATP players are paid far, far less than Soccer players and less than NBA, MLB players.

(Pay being mostly sponsorships in tennis, the mix varying in the other sports )

Comment

Nadal realises he could earn much more from sponsorship deals but apparently doesn't bother and says he has enough. There is that side to it. A friend of mine had a relative who worked inside what she termed as the 'Federer Empire'. It's a strategic goal of Roger's apparently to make as much from endorsements as he possibly can. I am not sure how Novak plays it.

It's not automatic. The player has to put some legwork into these endorsements and be around to play ball when asked. Some players only want to take it so far.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
          Nadal realises he could earn much more from sponsorship deals but apparently doesn't bother and says he has enough. There is that side to it. A friend of mine had a relative who worked inside what she termed as the 'Federer Empire'. It's a strategic goal of Roger's apparently to make as much from endorsements as he possibly can. I am not sure how Novak plays it.

It's not automatic. The player has to put some legwork into these endorsements and be around to play ball when asked. Some players only want to take it so far.
          Absolutely. They're not annuity checks coming in automatically. Takes work.

Many Serena fans were jealous of Sharapova getting a lot more from sponsorships. But Maria and her agent always worked hard on that -- Max had her on an Asian tour years before she even won Wimbledon as a teen, building that market for the future.

Look at Fed's advertising for On. Fed didn't get hired as a shoe spokesperson, he bought founders shares in the Swiss company before it went public, and helped promote the IPO. So, the proceeds from that alone (which probably do NOT show up in the Forbes list} likely already rival his $300 Million from Uniqlo.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

That sounds like Nadal. KiSS. I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
              From a pay equality standpoint one can read into this what one wants to see.

One side, Serena and Osaka are making a lot more money than Djokovic, arguably the best tennis player today.

On the other side, top WTA players are the highest paid female athletes while top ATP players are paid far, far less than Soccer players and less than NBA, MLB players.

(Pay being mostly sponsorships in tennis, the mix varying in the other sports )
              Women's tennis has a stand alone best deal in sports, is a sort of welfare state royal family situation funded by mens tennis. Just the way it is. The WNBA, or all other women's sports, would love to have such a deal.
              Last edited by stroke; 08-29-2022, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Fritz and Tsitsipas both out of the tournament at about the same moment. Well, it is tough out there, they were 2 that were definitely in the construction for serious contention here.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Women's tennis has a stand alone best deal in sports, is a sort of welfare state royal family situation funded by mens tennis. Just the way it is. The WNBA, or all other women's sports, would love to have such a deal.
                  I suggest the women add substantially to the joint events in attendance, TV coverage and sponsorships.

Joint play is a major differentiator for the 1K events and majors IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    Fritz and Tsitsipas both out of the tournament at about the same moment. Well, it is tough out there, they were 2 that were definitely in the construction for serious contention here.
                    Haven't seen the Tsitsipas match and I'm still trying to figure out what the heck happened. I still contend he hasn't gotten back to 100% of what he was before surgery - for whatever reason.

Comment

I saw some of both. Both just got beat, they were both playing well. Obviously, Tsitsipas got of to a terrible start, not there for 1st 2 sets for whatever reason. Would never happen to the 3, we know that.

Comment

Day 2 was full of five-set wins -- Sinner, Musetti (d. Goffin), Fognini (d. Karatsev), Rublev, Shapovalov, Coric, Gasquet, but Verdasco exits.

Fogs has now come back from down 2 sets to love to win 5 set matches a record eight (that's 8 ) times. That's amazing.

If you'll forgive me a snarky comment on TV announcing, I watched more than one of Fogs' comebacks where bad announcers were vilifying him for "tanking" while staging a comeback (cough, Justin Gimelstob, one of the worst). Every missed shot followed by a pout is labeled "a cop out". Sorry. Venting over.

P.S. Darren Cahill, asked whether being taken to 5 sets in an early round match would prove costly to Sinner said, "No, if he doesn't play another five setter. But if he does it starts to catch up with you. That happened even to a fit, young Alcaraz at the US Open."

This is my cue to point out how amazing Roger Federers' 2017 Australian Open title run was. Coming back from knee surgery, at was it 35 yo?, he not only beat Rafa in five, long sets, but did so after winning two other five set matches that week -- Other Stan and Nishikori, sandwiched around beating Zverev and Berdych. And 5 setters make the 20-somethings tired <g>

Comment

On Serena's next opponent, while Anett is ranked second she hasn't played well in some time. What I had NOT heard was that she is having a hard time recovering from Covid. Dimitrov, and Shapo, I believe, had similar issues. It took Grigor nearly 3 months to be able to practice fully.

So, the published odds and IBM "Win Probability" aren't based on her current status, apparently.

Her new coach makes it sound like she's still not 100%. (Or maybe he's managing expectations).

NYT: "Though Kontaveit reached the final of the Qatar Open in February, this has been a trying season. She said she contracted Covid-19 in late April and withdrew from the Madrid Open and said she struggled physically when she returned to the tour.

“We all know she had long Covid kind of,” Beltz said. “She was not fit, but she’s very close again to get this back and is playing better in practice really well now. So I think it’s coming.”

Comment

On Serena's next opponent, while Anett is ranked second she hasn't played well in some time. What I had NOT heard was that she is having a hard time recovering from Covid. Dimitrov, and Shapo, I believe, had similar issues. It took Grigor nearly 3 months to be able to practice fully.

So, the published odds and IBM "Win Probability" aren't based on her current status, apparently.

Her new coach makes it sound like she's still not 100%. (Or maybe he's managing expectations).

NYT: "Though Kontaveit reached the final of the Qatar Open in February, this has been a trying season. She said she contracted Covid-19 in late April and withdrew from the Madrid Open and said she struggled physically when she returned to the tour.

“We all know she had long Covid kind of,” Beltz said. “She was not fit, but she’s very close again to get this back and is playing better in practice really well now. So I think it’s coming.”
                            Oh the drama

Comment

Day 2 was full of five-set wins -- Sinner, Musetti (d. Goffin), Fognini (d. Karatsev), Rublev, Shapovalov, Coric, Gasquet, but Verdasco exits.

Fogs has now come back from down 2 sets to love to win 5 set matches a record eight (that's 8 ) times. That's amazing.

If you'll forgive me a snarky comment on TV announcing, I watched more than one of Fogs' comebacks where bad announcers were vilifying him for "tanking" while staging a comeback (cough, Justin Gimelstob, one of the worst). Every missed shot followed by a pout is labeled "a cop out". Sorry. Venting over.
                              Fogs is an amazing player. Great in five setters. I have watched him many times at SW19 and it's entertainment all the way. One of my favourites...love watching him play.

Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8886 users online. 6 members and 8880 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X