Seeing Kyrgios Up Close - TPN Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing Kyrgios Up Close - TPN Portrait

While I'd watched Nick Kyrgios play on TV many times, starting with his startling upset of Rafa at Wimbledon, last March at Indian Wells was the first time I'd seen him play live. Frankly, I was stunned despite thinking that I knew his game. Nick really is, from the neck down, the generational talent that shoulda' coulda' succeeded the Big Three. Alas, we all know what happened.

September's Tour Portrait of Nick Kyrgios here:
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members.../nick_kyrgios/

We saw two matches including his quarterfinal with Rafa.

I'd never truly appreciated Kyrgios' sheer physicality combined with touch you just don't see in the big players. Kyrgios is like Roddick with Marceo Rios' touch, the improvisation of Fed, and very good straight-line speed. Quick-twitch muscles plus size -- and vision.

But what's more difficult to quantify is his anticipation. I was reminded of what Rafa said when he was "coaching" Fed vs Nick at the Laver Cup. "He sees the ball really well."

The difference in the match came at the very end when Carlos Moya directed Nadal to change return positions, first back, then up. The coaching apparently worked eliciting enough second serves for Nadal to eek out the win.

But until then Nick was controlling play, starting with his big first serve. Rafa looked shell shocked. Then, he'd hit a feathered drop shot that left Rafa flat footed. In one sequence, Nick threw in what seemed like a bone-head backyard play, but he did it with perfect confidence -- and execution. Rafa put up a deep lop that left Nick hitting an overhead from the baseline while looking into a low, bright desert sun. So, of course, he pushed a soft overhead, angled drop shot just over the net. Outright winner. Rafa never took a step to leave the back wall.

I don't know anybody else that can do that.

Here's a larger image from this month's Tour Portrait. I hope it conveys some of the explosiveness of his forehand that is so visceral in person.

filedata/fetch?id=98383&d=1662136033&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Certainly agree about Nick, I have said before he is the most talented since Fed. His serve, well it is equal at least to Roddick and Raonic, and he does everything else way better. Another way to put Nick to me, for a guy that has that very top level serves, guys like Roddick, Raonic, the 3 giants, Goran, Tanner(going way back), and Nick, Nick does everything else, other than the serve, better than any of them. I have also seen him play up close in person, years ago at Key Biscayne. In addition to his scary serve, his forehand is scary big.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Certainly agree about Nick, I have said before he is the most talented since Fed. His serve, well it is equal at least to Roddick and Raonic, and he does everything else way better. Another way to put Nick to me, for a guy that has that very top level serves, guys like Roddick, Raonic, the 3 giants, Goran, Tanner(going way back), and Nick, Nick does everything else, other than the serve, better than any of them. I have also seen him play up close in person, years ago at Key Biscayne. In addition to his scary serve, his forehand is scary big.
      Yup. None of the "Big Servers" approaches his other skills. Not even close.

And yes on his forehand being "scary big", that's pretty much what my initial reaction was seeing it up close. Literally.

I've posted this before, but I saw Nick's "slap" forehand from behind the logo hit right at Rafa. He is running away from the net, jumps and slaps in backwards at 100 MPH.

The first time I saw that shot was on TV, when Nick played Rafa in Acapulco, I think it was. Rafa stoned the volley, racket twisted in his hands even tho Rafa was holding it with both hands. In the presser after, Rafa said that shot was "Dangerous. It might hit somebody in the crowd." I took that not literally but to mean Rafa was shaken by the velocity.

Back to the version in Indian Wells, Rafa only had time to duck his head, and the ball went long. I don't know if Rafa could have volleyed it, a forehand from behind the logo. {There's a photo of that shot in the tour portrait. )

As for Nick's personally, I try to be optimistic. I was hoping Nick would grow up. Alas, I think that ship has sailed.

Shame.
      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 09-02-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Yup. None of the "Big Servers" approaches his other skills. Not even close.

And yes on his forehand being "scary big", that's pretty much what my initial reaction was seeing it up close. Literally.

I've posted this before, but I saw Nick's "slap" forehand from behind the logo hit right at Rafa. He is running away from the net, jumps and slaps in backwards at 100 MPH.

The first time I saw that shot was on TV, when Nick played Rafa in Acapulco, I think it was. Rafa stoned the volley, racket twisted in his hands even tho Rafa was holding it with both hands. In the pressure after, Rafa said that shot was "Dangerous. It might hit somebody in the crowd." I took that not literally but to mean Rafa was shaken by the velocity.

Back to the version in Indian Wells, Rafa only had time to duck his head, and the ball went long. I don't know if Rafa could have volleyed it, a forehand from behind the logo. {There's a photo of that shot in the tour portrait. )

As for Nick's personally, I try to be optimistic. I was hoping Nick would grow up. Alas, I think that she has sailed.

Shame.
        We are in agreement on this Nick ability ha.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8314 users online. 8 members and 8306 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X