Documentary on Showtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary on Showtime

Showtime has a documentary out on McEnroe. It would recommend it to anyone who watched that era of tennis.

just FYI

The trailer: https://youtu.be/Hndp9LDPIO4

Description on Showtime site:
    Nobody embodied the rockstar era of tennis more than John McEnroe. The original bad boy of the sport, McEnroe was famous not only for his epic matches, but

104 minutes;

Nobody embodied the rockstar era of tennis more than John McEnroe. The original bad boy of the sport, McEnroe was famous not only for his epic matches, but also for his confrontations on and off the court. Accompanied by interviews with icons like Patty Smyth, Keith Richards, Billie Jean King, and Bjorn Borg, the legendary tennis ace gives an unflinching account of his triumphs, struggles, friendships, and rivalries.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
      just FYI

The trailer: https://youtu.be/Hndp9LDPIO4

Description on Showtime site:
      Nobody embodied the rockstar era of tennis more than John McEnroe. The original bad boy of the sport, McEnroe was famous not only for his epic matches, but

104 minutes;

The original bad boy of the sport, McEnroe.....
      I would beg to differ. Nasty holds 'the original bad boy' title. Everything at Wimbledon was strawberries and cream until he showed up. Nasty changed the ball game completely in terms of linesman and umpires. Their job was doddle until the Bucharest Buffoon turned up.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I would beg to differ. Nasty holds 'the original bad boy' title. Everything at Wimbledon was strawberries and cream until he showed up. Nasty changed the ball game completely in terms of linesman and umpires. Their job was doddle until the Bucharest Buffoon turned up.
        That is actually addressed in the documentary. Nastase was something. McEnroe is not reinvented in this documentary to me, it is pretty spot on. Trailers are sometimes misleading.

Comment

Why do I still have a problem with the “ New York in your face” attitude? Just an old school southerner ranting on about the gentlemanly behavior, Arthur Ashe, pre- ugly American good old days I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
            Why do I still have a problem with the “ New York in your face” attitude? Just an old school southerner ranting on about the gentlemanly behavior, Arthur Ashe, pre- ugly American good old days I guess.
            Well, back then midwestern Jimmy Connors was certainly in people's faces. And, like Nick and McEnroe celebrated for it -- by some.

Not all.

Ashe was special, indeed.

Comment

When all said and done, years down the line, Arthur comes off better than all of them. Perhaps, overall, not as good a player as Connors or McEnroe, but as a human being, no contest.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

When all said and done, years down the line, Arthur comes off better than all of them. Perhaps, overall, not as good a player as Connors or McEnroe, but as a human being, no contest.
                Unequivocally

Comment

I am with you on this one. And I am not a southerner. But I never liked McEnroe on the court. I almost cried the day that he beat Borg. Borg was the king of tennis players in so many ways. Then he retired and was not sure what to do with himself.

I really like McEnroe as a commentator. The best hands down. But his antics on court were the worst. It made me cringe. I guess you cannot have one without the other.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I am with you on this one. And I am not a southerner. But I never liked McEnroe on the court. I almost cried the day that he beat Borg. Borg was the king of tennis players in so many ways. Then he retired and was not sure what to do with himself.

I really like McEnroe as a commentator. The best hands down. But his antics on court were the worst. It made me cringe. I guess you cannot have one without the other.
                    I did not like McEnroe either as a player. Looking back at his career through more seasoned mature eyes, I have softened my take on him quite a bit. I did not like Connors either, but my take on him has not softened.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I did not like McEnroe either as a player. Looking back at his career through more seasoned mature eyes, I have softened my take on him quite a bit. I did not like Connors either, but my take on him has not softened.
                      I am with you here too. I came to appreciate his style of play as the last of the truly classic players. Sampras and Fed claim to be classic but they began to be more hybrid for me. McEnroe might have been the last player to play with virtually no grip change.

And even today he is amazing to watch. You have to think that if someone emulated him it would drive everyone bananas. I mean the same grip can lead to a drop shot or topspin all with a last second change in the grip. You volley with the same grip you hit groundstrokes. The versatility is unheard of today. How do you deal with a player that can hit the ball anywhere on the court with all different types of spin? He was an artist on the court despite his antics.

Connors was a whole other story. To me he appears incredibly awkward. All the bravado was to cover up something going on in him deep down. But it kept him going. He was definitely unique in his interactions. I am not a clinical psychologist but I would not be surprised if today he was considered to be somewhere on the spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I am with you here too. I came to appreciate his style of play as the last of the truly classic players. Sampras and Fed claim to be classic but they began to be more hybrid for me. McEnroe might have been the last player to play with virtually no grip change.

And even today he is amazing to watch. You have to think that if someone emulated him it would drive everyone bananas. I mean the same grip can lead to a drop shot or topspin all with a last second change in the grip. You volley with the same grip you hit groundstrokes. The versatility is unheard of today. How do you deal with a player that can hit the ball anywhere on the court with all different types of spin? He was an artist on the court despite his antics.

Connors was a whole other story. To me he appears incredibly awkward. All the bravado was to cover up something going on in him deep down. But it kept him going. He was definitely unique in his interactions. I am not a clinical psychologist but I would not be surprised if today he was considered to be somewhere on the spectrum.
                        McEnroe was competitive on the Sr circuit until he was about 60. He was by far in his 50's the best tennis player in that age group I have ever seen. You are correct, since he had no grip changes, no one had a clue when the drop shots were coming on either side. He could do the Fed so called SABR return of serve way before Fed. He tried to goad Serena into a match in his mid 50's. She was very wise to pass on that.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Im with you on this...I too have softened on Mac. Connors never! I was also, always in awe of John's game, never seen anyone play like that.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8272 users online. 9 members and 8263 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X