Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To modernize or not to modernize: The classic one handed backhand

Hi Everyone,

So I have some video here to show. My daughter hits a very classic one handed backhand. It works well just as it did for Karsten Popp.

The only thing is that my daughter is playing in the current era. She is 17 and she has imitated a classic backhand that is like mine I guess. Although I hit more topspin than she does.

I have tried to get her to add more topspin and hit a more modern version. But as you can see she hits it very classically and most of the girls she plays don't really no what to do with the shot. As you can see it really bothers other players. Here she is hitting with a local college player and you can see that it is a ball that is very uncomfortable for her hitting partner.

She is in full season so I am holding off on technical changes right now. But how far can this go today. To me it is almost like she hits a shot that no other 17 year old hits today. Strength, weakness, neither, both?

Any thoughts?

Consistency is great with the classic swing as Murphy indicated. How does she attack a shorter ball down the line? Does she hit a penetrating drive slice or does she need a little more topspin for net clearance down the line? Regardless, now is the time to practice 3 strokes with that same nice, loose and flowing preparation she has: drive slice, topspin and swinging drop shot.

Comment

Great points doctorhl!!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4756 users online. 7 members and 4749 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X