Next Gen in Milan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Gen in Milan

Nothing up yet on this event that's already underway, so nature and online posters abhor a vacuum.

This year's NexGen finals are in Milan
    Get live scores, group standings, news, video, player info and more for the Next Gen ATP Finals, the 21-and-under event.

Lineup includes:
    Musetti
    Draper
    Nakashima
    Lehecka
    Tseng
    Stricker
    Passaro
    Arnldi

These are supposed to be the world's top eight 21 and under singles players, but Alcaraz and Rune were too impatient to wait for the main tour, so the top has been cut off the draw <g>

The ATP has used the NexGen to test out rule changes, use as electronic line calling, and that continues this year.

In addition, new rules and enhancements for 2022 include:

- Quicker Shot Clock: The time in-between points will be shortened to 15 seconds (from the standard 25 seconds) if the server hits an ace, a double fault or if the returner misses the return through forced or unforced error.

- One Sit-Down Per Set: Players will change ends and sit down for 90 seconds after the first three games are played and then again at the end of the set. There will be no changeover after the first game.

- Three-Minute Warm-Up: The on-court warm-up will be three minutes. There will be a one-minute walk-on, three-minute warm-up and one minute to get ready before the first point.

- Off-Court Coaching: Coaching will be permitted at the event on the same basis as applied in the coaching trial on Tour with one addition: A player will be allowed to talk to his coach if his opponent takes a medical time-out or toilet break.

- Enhanced Analytics: The TennisViz system, in partnership with Tennis Data Innovations, will provide that information directly to a tablet device located in the Player Box area for coaches to use during and after matches.

Scores are here:

See latest results of the Next Gen ATP Finals at the official website.

and

https://www.nextgenatpfinals.com/en/...roup-standings

Player Bios here: https://www.nextgenatpfinals.com/en/players/singles

filedata/fetch?id=99046&d=1668016409&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
      Nothing up yet on this event that's already underway, so nature and online posters abhor a vacuum.

This year's NexGen finals are in Milan
      Get live scores, group standings, news, video, player info and more for the Next Gen ATP Finals, the 21-and-under event.

Lineup includes:
      Musetti
      Draper
      Nakashima
      Lehecka
      Tseng
      Stricker
      Passaro
      Arnldi

These are supposed to be the world's top eight 21 and under singles players, but Alcaraz and Rune were too impatient to wait for the main tour, so the top has been cut off the draw <g>

The ATP has used the NexGen to test out rule changes, use as electronic line calling, and that continues this year.

In addition, new rules and enhancements for 2022 include:

- Quicker Shot Clock: The time in-between points will be shortened to 15 seconds (from the standard 25 seconds) if the server hits an ace, a double fault or if the returner misses the return through forced or unforced error.

- One Sit-Down Per Set: Players will change ends and sit down for 90 seconds after the first three games are played and then again at the end of the set. There will be no changeover after the first game.

- Three-Minute Warm-Up: The on-court warm-up will be three minutes. There will be a one-minute walk-on, three-minute warm-up and one minute to get ready before the first point.

- Off-Court Coaching: Coaching will be permitted at the event on the same basis as applied in the coaching trial on Tour with one addition: A player will be allowed to talk to his coach if his opponent takes a medical time-out or toilet break.

- Enhanced Analytics: The TennisViz system, in partnership with Tennis Data Innovations, will provide that information directly to a tablet device located in the Player Box area for coaches to use during and after matches.
      I like all the new additions, especially the one where ''a player will be allowed to talk to his coach if his opponent takes a medical time-out or toilet break.'' I think this is very fitting as a toilet break has the potential to penalise the toilet-break player. Have in mind toilet breaks are 99% phoney. Apparently Borg and McEnroe never took a single toilet break in either of their careers.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I like all the new additions, especially the one where ''a player will be allowed to talk to his coach if his opponent takes a medical time-out or toilet break.'' I think this is very fitting as a toilet break has the potential to penalise the toilet-break player. Have in mind toilet breaks are 99% phoney. Apparently Borg and McEnroe never took a single toilet break in either of their careers.
        Good one.

As for the "Quicker Shot Clock" sounds good, but it all depends on the implementation.

This area is a prime example of "Law of Unintended Consequences" (one of my personal fav laws).

I vaguely remember the first US Open where the shot clock was enforced. It actually had the impact of INCREASING the amount of time taken to serve.

The rule was there to stop the minority that are abusers (insert names of your least favorite such player here). BUT most players served promptly as they are supposed to generally around 10-15 seconds. Yet with the introduction of the shot clock most players seemed to start taking the full 20/25 seconds. Psychology said that is the time you have to serve.

So it took longer to serve and matches started taking even long. Meanwhile, the abusers are still taking more than the legal amount of time and largely getting away with it. Especially since we learned that a top ranked player can get a chair umpire "banned" from their matches if he or she doesn't like that official's enforcement. Since chairs are gig workers, like Uber drivers, that means a chair can be effectively fined by a player for enforcing the rules against him or her. What can possibly go wrong? Sigh.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

Comment

Nakashima is rolling. Playing awesome.

Brandon Nakashima maintained his perfect record at this year’s Intesa Sanpaolo Next Gen ATP Finals Friday when he moved past Briton Jack Draper 4-3(6), 1-4, 4-2, 4-3(5) to reach the final in Milan.

The American went 3-0 in the round-robin stage and produced another ruthless performance at the Allianz Cloud to earn his 34th tour-level win of the season

The 21-year-old blasted 29 winners on the fast-paced court and rallied from 2-5 in the fourth-set tie-break, converting on his second match point to advance after one hour and 38 minutes. He will face Jiri Lehecka in the final after the Czech defeated Dominic Stricker 4-1, 4-3(4), 2-4, 4-1.

Comment

I watched the final, which was brutally ugly.

There's nothing worse than an ugly service action...both players ticked that box. Neither player seemed to possess an iota of finesse. They both hit amazing down the line winners at exactly the right time but, as a spectator, one soon gets bored with that.

We've had Roger Federer for all these years yet no up and coming under 21 player - despite plenty of them having plenty of talent - has considered that developing a bit of finesse in their repertoire might come in rather handy here and there throughout their career. Bizarre.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              I watched the final, which was brutally ugly.

There's nothing worse than an ugly service action...both players ticked that box. Neither player seemed to possess an iota of finesse. They both hit amazing down the line winners at exactly the right time but, as a spectator, one soon gets bored with that.

We've had Roger Federer for all these years yet no up and coming under 21 player - despite plenty of them having plenty of talent - has considered that developing a bit of finesse in their repertoire might come in rather handy here and there throughout their career. Bizarre.
              Indeed.

Lorenzo Musetti, on the other hand, last year's champ who went out early this year, has a smooth service motion, moves the ball around. I thought he could only hit kick from watching him on clay but he can reach 130 mph -- just doesn't go for a flat serve but once in a moon.

I have trouble figuring out his game and how good Lorenzo truly is. Beats Alcaraz handily in a clay final, then loses in the first round.

Seems to default to playing defense even retreating from offensive positions. I get it. He's a tremendous mover and can hit one-handed backhand passing shots out of the flower pots on the sidelines (not entirely an exaggeration).

But when he ties to move in, he's awesome. Great net game. Those hands! Hits an offensive service return from no-man's land making it look as if he has all the time in the world, casual.

If I could do that, I'd pitch a tent at the net and dare opponents to push me back <g>.

But he is only 20 years old. Fogninni seems to be in his camp now.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Indeed.

Lorenzo Musetti, on the other hand, last year's champ who went out early this year, has a smooth service motion, moves the ball around. I thought he could only hit kick from watching him on clay but he can reach 130 mph -- just doesn't go for a flat serve but once in a moon.

I have trouble figuring out his game and how good Lorenzo truly is. Beats Alcaraz handily in a clay final, then loses in the first round.

Seems to default to playing defense even retreating from offensive positions. I get it. He's a tremendous mover and can hit one-handed backhand passing shots out of the flower pots on the sidelines (not entirely an exaggeration).

But when he ties to move in, he's awesome. Great net game. Those hands! Hits an offensive service return from no-man's land making it look as if he has all the time in the world, casual.

If I could do that, I'd pitch a tent at the net and dare opponents to push me back <g>.

But he is only 20 years old. Fogninni seems to be in his camp now.
                Agree about Musetti. He seems to me to be most similar to Gasquet with better forehand. He also seems to have Gasquet's personality out there, a very nice guy with tremendous talent, that does not maybe seem to hate losing enough.

Comment

I stand corrected. Musetti has gotten under my radar somewhat. I shall certainly take a closer look at him. The game needs him. Trust me, I got absolutely zero out of watching that next gen final.
                  Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8515 users online. 6 members and 8509 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X