Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Coaches of the Year for 2022

Juan Carlos Ferrero chosen for ATP
    Juan Carlos Ferrero has been voted Coach of the Year in the 2022 ATP Awards for his efforts in helping Carlos Alcaraz achieve a record-breaking season on Tour.

David Witt chosen for WTA

Given the rocket-like ascent of Carlos Alcaraz, Ferrero is an easy pick.

It's great that Witt (long with Venus) gets recognition, and Pegula's ascent at 28 years old with, as some might put it negatively "no weapons" could be rightfully credited to coaching, I'm not sure his performance is more impressive than what Tomasz Wiktorowski did with Iga Swiatek. She's been completely dominant on tour since Ash re-retired. He's credited with taking her from a great clay court player to an offensive juggernaut on all surfaces.

It's sort of like a movie winning the Best Picture Oscar, but the director not getting a nod. One opinion.

I'll also note a teen we've discussed here: "Zheng Qinwen of China, who turned 20 in October, was the WTA Newcomer of the Year after rising more than 100 places in the rankings and reaching the fourth round in her French Open debut before bowing out against Swiatek"

Ons Jabeur, subject of TPN's Tour Portrait this month, won the sportsmanship award.

P.S. Tangential note: Andy Murray, as promised, donated his entire prize earnings of over $630,000 to humanitarian relief in Ukraine.

P.P.S. Nick Kyrgios "nominated" himself for coach of the year for coaching himself to the Wimbledon finals.

After initially smirking, I thought, "Yeah. It takes some special skill to coach that dude. Maybe he's right.." <g>

Comment

A little humility might just help Nick win some majors someday!

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
        A little humility might just help Nick win some majors someday!
        I suspect I'll get my first serve up to 140 mph about the same time Nick gains some humility & grace <g>.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7944 users online. 4 members and 7940 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X