X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroke
    replied
    Originally posted by stotty View Post

I like Meddy. He gets ratty at times but he's honest. He seems to have forged a friendship with Novak based on the comfort they are both on the unpopular side so it's best to stick together.

I like Meddy's sense of humour...a little on the dry side.
    Yes I like Med's personality, and he is clearly a smart guy.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Originally posted by stroke View Post
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tenn...te-tennis-news

Medvedev telling it like it is. Hard not to like Medvedev.
    I like Meddy. He gets ratty at times but he's honest. He seems to have forged a friendship with Novak based on the comfort they are both on the unpopular side so it's best to stick together.

I like Meddy's sense of humour...a little on the dry side.

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tenn...te-tennis-news

Thanks for sharing!

When Medy gets petulant I start getting turned off, then he always pulls me back. \

When he told the US Open boo birds they helped him win during a US open match I couldn't help smiling, despite myself <g>

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    All the Med issues, compared to the gold standard of this type game, Novak, were on display in his loss to Novak in the semis of Adelaide. That forehand with his locked wrist, is the worst of all worlds, deficient spin, and takes so long to execute. It is the polar opposite of a Fed, Fognini effortless efficient type forehand.
    Last edited by stroke; 01-07-2023, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    I think stroke has it about right.

Meddy gets away with it on his serve. He has an incredibly good serve much of the time and it's been at the root of his game when he's gone deep in slams.

No one would argue his game is ugly but it's nice to see an unorthodox game (if I can call it that viewed against today's modern game) break through and succeed. That said, I don't like Meddy's forehand much. It works fine much of the time but on return of serve he's limited to standing well back because his technique prevents him taking returns early. He simply cannot get the shot out quick enough and nearly always ends up late on the ball when he tries it.

What amazes me about modern tennis is how poor players are in the forecourt. Rafa and Roger have always been decent in the forecourt, and Novak has managed to make himself reasonably effective around the net. You'd think other players might have cottoned on there is some value in it...yet most don't.

I think Meddy will get back on track. He's too good not too. The worry is his weaknesses (volleys, sliced backhand) are so established they will likely never improve. You can only see him muddling along with the exact same game he has now.

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    Then again, who else can do this?

Return winner from furthest backhand corner. 2019 vs Rafa.
    And, he can do the same thing on the forehand side from the exit tunnel. Or perhaps from the locker room, or the upper deck. I don't know
    https://twitter.com/darren_cahill/st...C1UejpDkoXK5Mw

Leave a comment:

• jimlosaltos
    replied
    Matt pretty much nailed Med and his limitations. Med seems to really get tennis and where he is at. Hard not to like that. His net play/hand skills are abysmal, and that seems very unlikely to change. He makes Novak look like Rafter or Stepanek in that department. He has about the most technically unsound forehand technique imaginable for a top 10 player. The serve, compared to those deficiencies, to me is a very minor issue. He has an exhausting game and not much about it to give him great pleasure out there it seems to me. Nadal also has a battle of attrition type game, as does Novak to some extent, but as Med pointed out, those guys are not comparable to anyone else. And Nadal clearly loves hitting forehands, no doubt giving him personal satisfaction.
    On that forehand, ck this (blurry image) one out. I'm calling it a forward-reverse forehand, for lack of a better name.

As a coach once said, "You can't teach that ... but then you wouldn't want to." <g>

On other hand, great ad lib taking incredible hand-eye coordination to pull off.

forward reverse forehand?
    https://twitter.com/dmedvedevfans/st...CXdmePG-maPllQ

An inadequate still for the click adverse:

filedata/fetch?id=99302&d=1672958360&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Stroke, yes.

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    Matt pretty much nailed Med and his limitations. Med seems to really get tennis and where he is at. Hard not to like that. His net play/hand skills are abysmal, and that seems very unlikely to change. He makes Novak look like Rafter or Stepanek in that department. He has about the most technically unsound forehand technique imaginable for a top 10 player. The serve, compared to those deficiencies, to me is a very minor issue. He has an exhausting game and not much about it to give him great pleasure out there it seems to me. Nadal also has a battle of attrition type game, as does Novak to some extent, but as Med pointed out, those guys are not comparable to anyone else. And Nadal clearly loves hitting forehands, no doubt giving him personal satisfaction.
    Last edited by stroke; 01-05-2023, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Daniil Medvedev: Rise, Fall, And?

Daniil Medvedev: Rise, Fall, And?

Let's get your thoughts on Matt Cronin's article, "Daniil Medvedev: Rise, Fall, And?"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8026 users online. 0 members and 8026 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X