New Netflix series on Pro Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Netflix series on Pro Tennis

Can't say I am thrilled at the subject choice for episode 1.

The Guardian: Zero-sum game: Netflix’s Break Point aces the loneliness of top-flight tennis.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...pflight-tennis

I wonder if golf is the same way in terms of loneliness. I’m sure different players have different situations. A guy like Rafa is in a better situation because he was coached by family, married a girl from home, and always kept a home in Mallorca. And Fed seemed to to have a pretty large team with him and of course married another tennis player early on, But for others like Osaka it sounds like it can be brutal. If you are trying to survive financially on top of it, yikes.

Comment

I think golf would be different as there are so many players to see on the course at any one time, where as in tennis, all eyes are on the 2 competitors in the match. And of course the direct man vs man, loser out of the tournament. I think this type of pressure may add to the loneliness.

I watched the first Netflix episode of "Break Point". It was a hard watch for me as it featured Nick. It was a very annoying episode to me. I will probably like the rest of the episodes more.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
        I wonder if golf is the same way in terms of loneliness. I’m sure different players have different situations. A guy like Rafa is in a better situation because he was coached by family, married a girl from home, and always kept a home in Mallorca. And Fed seemed to to have a pretty large team with him and of course married another tennis player early on, But for others like Osaka it sounds like it can be brutal. If you are trying to survive financially on top of it, yikes.
        Players such as Ash Barty have cited the grind of the tour and travel as a reason for early retirement.

Others, particularly players in their early 20s like the travel, although I suspect that wears off with time.

Comment

Apparently a FEW people (incl an ESPN announcer) are having some difficulty finding the show. Best I can tell it's not regional access.

So, here's a direct link: ​www.netflix.com/breakpoint

Yes, TPN's forums are a full service discussion board

Comment

I have watched all the first 5 episodes. It is interesting, but did not find out anything new much. Nick is very dislikeable with complete lacking of any self awareness. Berenttini, Ruud, and FAA, and are very likeable and a real credit to the sport, very well spoken. Fritz also seems like a good guy, and he appears to have the prettiest girlfriend on tour, no mean feat.
            Last edited by stroke; 01-14-2023, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8733 users online. 4 members and 8729 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X