Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the slice ever going to make a comeback for Women's tennis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Head to head records for players in men's professional tennis. View rivalry results and stats for matches on the ATP Tour.

For years I screamed for Roger to change his equipment from this very forum. Either he didn't listen or more likely he never heard. But what a difference it made and one can imagine how many Grand Slam titles it may have cost him not to mention other lesser tournaments. This problem has existed ever since the fundamental change in the racquet. Size matters. All things being equal if players were using the same size the differential was manageable. For example...at the standard size material had a lesser effect.

But just look at this piece of evidence A...Federer's head to head against Nadal. The win for Federer in 2015 at Basel was with his old piece and then he switched and went 6-1 until the end. That was an interesting match that he lost to Nadal at Roland Garros for his last defeat at the hands of the Spaniard. It was played in a cyclone that played into the hands of Nadal. I have always wondered how he would have fared if the wind had not been blowing so hard.

The difference in the tactical paradigm pitting Roger's game against Nadal's was always lefty forehand into right one hand backhand. The spin overwhelmed Federer...until he switched. In this condensed match at Indian Wells where we have already viewed Roger against Kyrgios and Wawrinka...Federer declines resorting to the slice backhand and pretty much just unleashes the dragon. The dragon being his new found ability to drive the backhand aggressively from positions he had been unable to until the point where he evened things up.

For too long he handicapped himself with inferior equipment and his "team" has to bear the responsibility for this. If they were unable to talk some sense into him...what were they getting paid for. I was merely an observer and I could see how badly his racquet was costing him.

Head to head records for players in men's professional tennis. View rivalry results and stats for matches on the ATP Tour.

Curiously the racquet did not make the same impression on his results with Novak Djokovic. The reason is that the disparraging factor wasn't so much the equipment as it was in the legs. Novak being six years younger had a distinct advantage over Federer once the Swiss Maestro hit the age of thirty where the legs begin to wane a bit. Once he hit 35 the advantage was more glaring. So it really difficult to assess a Greatest Of All Time status with any surety. So many factors are lost in the translation.
    The larger racket gave him a new life so to speak. But the legs were just not the same. The fact that he was even competitive at that age is amazing.

I fully expect that a healthy Alcaraz will make Novak look old. He is just so much more springy and has so much game.

One ace on match point and we would not even be thinking that 20 is not enough. Neither Novak or Rafa are likely to win or get close to a major final at the same age that Roger managed to pull it off.

Comment

So the takeaway for Senorita Hernandez is that if she is finding that her opponents are showing some difficulty handling the slice backhand it is time to begin with earnest to learn to drive the ball. I actually began to build my drive backhand against the wall one summer. The summer between my junior and senior years at Ohio University. It took a couple of years to see real results but the work did eventually pay off. Big time.

Another case in point. Your honour...allow me to introduce state's evidence number eight. Juan Martin Del Potro added another dimension to the typical ATP draw when he was playing. The current draw in Miami is dreadfully boring. Unfortunately. But Juan was another "dangerous" hombre in the mix. A shame his career was cut short due to injury. Sort of like Robin S?derling. But here in Miami on a fairly windy day Roger Federer takes down "The Jolly Argentine Giant" touts suite. Another example of mixing the slice with the drive according to the conditions. Conditions dictate decisions. According to Tilden. The contrast in the foot work between "nimble toes" Federer and the "plodding" of the Jolly Giant del Potro is rather stark. It's a bit tougher to get your feet under you on every shot in the wind so it is a huge advantage to have the slice...the aggressive slice. If you don't have your feet squarely under you it is best not to drive it. If you are slightly off balance...play something that satisfies the percentages. Del Potro's use of the slice is interesting. In his case an injury to his wrist may have been dictating how he used it.

I just love the contrast in the serving here too. The pin point of Del Potro is at the mercy of the wind it seems. As so often is the case the pin point tosser of the ball throws it way too high. Then the wind can take subtle liberties with the ball as it hangs in the air. Federer isn't shy about serving this one out. Bing...bang...bye...see you never.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

With regards to your daughter's backhand the way forwards is two fold. Number one...work on the drive and you can take this advice to the bank. Number two...work very, very hard on her movement and stamina. Physical conditioning. This may go against her DNA but it is a must. You must get your feet set under you and it must be done quickly. You have to be ahead of the ball. Anticipation. Much can be accomplishe hitting against the wall. The Wall of Wall. The original wall...as defined by Torben Ulrich. The stroke can be conceived, honed and refined by infinite repetition. The footwork can be perfected at the same time. Work...work...work.

Take a page out of Tilden's "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball". Chapter Seven details how he himself learned to drive his backhand. He claimed it made all the difference from one year to the next.
        don_budge

Comment

Chapter Seven..."The Value of Intensive Practice". Chapter Four goes hand in hand with the advice of the ability to transition from slice to drive in "Attack and Defence".
          don_budge

Comment

Chapter Seven..."The Value of Intensive Practice". Chapter Four goes hand in hand with the advice of the ability to transition from slice to drive in "Attack and Defence".
            On second thought...or is the third? The coach must work around the student. You must identify what are the character traits of your student in order to approach that particular student as an individual. One size does not fit all. In your case...from the limited information that I have, I believe that your student is quite "studious" by nature. This is somehow in her DNA. The book in my teaching paradigm is Bill Tilden, so I would recommend that you acquire both "Match Play and Spin of the Ball" and "How to Play Better Tennis...". The first was written in the 1920's and is still fundamentally sound to this very day. The second might be a bit outdated technique wise, although certain fundamentals are never going to change, but there is enough "white light" in this book to blow the mind of the tennis student.

Your daughter may not be going on to collegiate tennis but this doesn't have to be the end. It could very well be the beginning of a lifetime of recreational tennis. If she continues to mature and WORK, particularly on athletism...who knows? It just might be her default go to in terms of life management. This is just as important as being an outstanding tennis player. Love of the game. Teach her to be a student of the game. Eventually she might have a daughter or a son who she might teach. Carrying on the legacy of one...arturohernandez.
            don_budge

Comment

On second thought...or is the third? The coach must work around the student. You must identify what are the character traits of your student in order to approach that particular student as an individual. One size does not fit all. In your case...from the limited information that I have, I believe that your student is quite "studious" by nature. This is somehow in her DNA. The book in my teaching paradigm is Bill Tilden, so I would recommend that you acquire both "Match Play and Spin of the Ball" and "How to Play Better Tennis...". The first was written in the 1920's and is still fundamentally sound to this very day. The second might be a bit outdated technique wise, although certain fundamentals are never going to change, but there is enough "white light" in this book to blow the mind of the tennis student.

Your daughter may not be going on to collegiate tennis but this doesn't have to be the end. It could very well be the beginning of a lifetime of recreational tennis. If she continues to mature and WORK, particularly on athletism...who knows? It just might be her default go to in terms of life management. This is just as important as being an outstanding tennis player. Love of the game. Teach her to be a student of the game. Eventually she might have a daughter or a son who she might teach. Carrying on the legacy of one...arturohernandez.
              Agreed. I will pay for college so I can add the condition of requiring her to play on the club team in order to "earn" her tuition. Her game is so pretty and I really think she should keep it up. I think the game will give something back to her if she sticks with it. Tennis players live longer too.

We are in the last few days of high school tennis. She is knocking on the door of beating better players. The slice is devastating. I mean she just makes people uncomfortable. She managed to beat the girl who won her last high school tournament. The girl lost 0 sets except to as you say it to one "Se?orita" Hernandez. My daughter won the only set from her 6-2. It was a master class in making the big banging girls unsure of themselves. It was first thing the morning after a rain delay made them come back the next day to finish a match. The champ of the whole tournament just began to miss balls all over the place. I watched the very next match of hers that was on the court next to my daughter's next match. Boom, boom, boom. Meanwhile, my daughter beat another big basher. This time the big basher was sporting ice every changeover. Coaches were coming on court to try and help her with a sore forearm. That is right. All the big banging takes its toll. The more classic game is much easier on the body. My daughter never complains about sore wrists, elbows or forearms. The legs, well that is another story. Five matches in two days with 10 min breaks in between is not easy. Even if most of them are shortened sets to 4.

Nonetheless, she consistently makes much better players look awkward. Now, if she can only do it for two sets rather than one.

That is the big if...

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Agreed. I will pay for college so I can add the condition of requiring her to play on the club team in order to "earn" her tuition. Her game is so pretty and I really think she should keep it up. I think the game will give something back to her if she sticks with it. Tennis players live longer too.

We are in the last few days of high school tennis. She is knocking on the door of beating better players. The slice is devastating. I mean she just makes people uncomfortable. She managed to beat the girl who won her last high school tournament. The girl lost 0 sets except to as you say it to one "Se?orita" Hernandez. My daughter won the only set from her 6-2. It was a master class in making the big banging girls unsure of themselves. It was first thing the morning after a rain delay made them come back the next day to finish a match. The champ of the whole tournament just began to miss balls all over the place. I watched the very next match of hers that was on the court next to my daughter's next match. Boom, boom, boom. Meanwhile, my daughter beat another big basher. This time the big basher was sporting ice every changeover. Coaches were coming on court to try and help her with a sore forearm. That is right. All the big banging takes its toll. The more classic game is much easier on the body. My daughter never complains about sore wrists, elbows or forearms. The legs, well that is another story. Five matches in two days with 10 min breaks in between is not easy. Even if most of them are shortened sets to 4.

Nonetheless, she consistently makes much better players look awkward. Now, if she can only do it for two sets rather than one.

That is the big if...
                It's not if...it's when.

This is surely one of the most gratifying posts I have read on this forum ever. For me, this is what got me into the game. The game used to be a family endeavor. My original exposure was my parents going over to the tennis courts at the local Community College to bat it around with a couple of old wooden racquets and rather beat up tennis balls. That is how it started. At first...I was too young. Maybe at the end of their session Mom would give me a racquet and let my Dad toss a couple at me. Whatever...it was about following the parents. Just as you are doing arturohernandez.

This is getting interesting. The feedback about your daughter's competitve play is rather illuminating. It is a step in the right direction. Now there is the next step...and the next. No reason she cannot be competitive without participating in the women's team this year. Who knows? If she progresses they might invite her to come and try out next year. Or the next. Keep working. Physical conditioning will be paramount. Conditioning her psychologically is just as important now that you understand that the tactics are valid and can be applied across the board. This book..."How Play Better Tennis...a complete guide to tactics and technique" is a real eye opener. There are a couple of chapters in that little jewel about match play psychology that are just as important today as they were when Tilden wrote them in 1950 or thereabouts.

So this is threefold...conditioning, education and the drive backhand. It takes a year of work and application but It will pay big dividends. Then of course there is the service motion. It is an endeavor for a lifetime. You can never get to the end of it.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3168 users online. 11 members and 3157 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X