Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camilia Giorgi - Biggest Hitter Pound for Pound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camilia Giorgi - Biggest Hitter Pound for Pound?

When I took the photos of Camila Giorgi at the WTA San Jose event for this month's Tour Portrait, I saw that she had a new coach, after her father filled that role as long as I've seen her. I imagined this conversation between Camila and her new coach. {TPN Tour Portrait at this link)

Camila: "So what's our strategy, coach?"

Coach: "Hit every ball as hard as you can."

Camila: "That's awesome. I love it. But how about we add this: Hit even harder on big points?"

Coach: "You're brilliant."

Her monochromatic tactics aside, Camilla is a fighter and fun to watch if paired against the right opponent. Plus, the former gymnast looks more like those athletes than like a typical WTA player. The head on her Yonex racket seems as big as she is, she's fast, graceful and -- darn it -- just plain photogenic.

Plus, there's something so audacious about a 5 ft 6 in maybe 100 pounder deciding the way to beat the 6 footers on tour is to hit through them it makes me smile. At the Australian Open this diminutive woman had one of the fastest serves -- 190 km/h or 118 mph, only 3 mph behind the fastest WTA serve in the event, that by Elena Rybakina, and faster than those from players such as Karolina Pliskova, Caroline Garcia & Madison Keys.

If John Isner had as much pop-per-pound, he'd serve over 250 MPH <g>.

Camila's been as high as 31 in the world, and has some big wins incl Karolina Pliškova in the Olympics, Aryna Sabalenka, Maria Sharapova, Aryna Sabalenka among 15 top-10 wins.

Hope you enjoy them. Here is a pair of samples

filedata/fetch?id=99650&d=1675466237&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Camilla at the net. Racket head seems bigger than her

filedata/fetch?id=99653&d=1675466237&type=thumb
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Forearm definition looks like Rod Laver's years ago! Perhaps a result of a few handstands.

Comment

And great bhv hitting arm structure. Open U.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          And great bhv hitting arm structure. Open U.
          UPDATE: Oh, you meant "Volley" I missed the 'v". Couldn't see it on my phone. Well, here are the backhand photos anyway <g>

I should have included more pics of her Bhd then ! Quick pair here. thx/ jim

filedata/fetch?id=99797&d=1676579044&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=99798&d=1676579044&type=thumb
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Last edited by jimlosaltos; 02-16-2023, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2951 users online. 7 members and 2944 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X