Winning Doubles Tactic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning Doubles Tactic

Match point, second serve, server hits the opposing team's net man with his serve to win the match. ATP Challenger.

Now, before you say it was a lousy serve -- "Passaro had already sniped Bortolotti with his serve in the 1st set and Gigante almost did this three points earlier. Unintentional or a tactic?"

P.S. Points for anyone that can remember Bobby Riggs doing this <g>. I vaguely remember that story but can't find anything searching online, just "battle of sexes" over and over.

Does tennis need a "targeting" rule?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
      Does tennis need a "targeting" rule?
      Hah! Or face masks and chest pads like hockey goalies?

Comment

Was he vaccinated or not?

Comment

Here's another one: Both players stand back when receiving the first service point of the match. The server serves down the centre service line, however, the serve is returned by the player standing in the ad side who suddenly steps across and hits a screaming winner. The server and his partner run to the umpire saying surely that surely such a manoeuvre isn't allowed. The umpire, scratching his head, came to the conclusion that it is allowed and the point stands. This famously happened to John Barrett, a former British tennis player and commentator. Apparently he wasn't happy.

It only really works on the first service return point of the match and where the serve is struck down the centre service line, but it’s a novel idea and one which nearly always catches the opposition out. I've done it a few times myself in friendlies.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            Here's another one: Both players stand back when receiving the first service point of the match. The server serves down the centre service line, however, the serve is returned by the player standing in the ad side who suddenly steps across and hits a screaming winner. The server and his partner run to the umpire saying surely that surely such a manoeuvre isn't allowed. The umpire, scratching his head, came to the conclusion that it is allowed and the point stands. This famously happened to John Barrett, a former British tennis player and commentator. Apparently he wasn't happy.

It only really works on the first service return point of the match and where the serve is struck down the centre service line, but it’s a novel idea and one which nearly always catches the opposition out. I've done it a few times myself in friendlies.
            Heard of that vaguely but never thought about using it. You've inspired my devious side <g> .

P.S. If you are lined up in the ad court yet return the first service under this rule, doesn't your partner have to return the next one? If so, can or or do you have to change sides?

Found this:

Rule 15 in the ITF Rules of Tennis:
            1. ORDER OF RECEIVING IN DOUBLES
            The team which is due to receive in the first game of a set shall decide which player shall receive the first point in the game. Similarly, before the second game starts, their opponents shall decide which player shall receive the first point of that game. The player who was the receiver’s partner for the first point of the game shall receive the second point and this rotation shall continue until the end of the game and the set. After the receiver has returned the ball, either player in a team can hit the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

P.S. If you are lined up in the ad court yet return the first service under this rule, doesn't your partner have to return the next one? If so, can or or do you have to change sides?
              Correct. It's just fun. You can end up returning on the side you don't want to if you don't watch it. Everything is governed by which side the server serves. It's dependent on the server serving down the middle for the returners to get what they intend...which is ultimately for the prank returner to end up playing the set on the deuce side. When this happened to John Barrett apparently he didn't take it well. His opponents were far weaker than he and his partner and they decided to pull the prank for fun. Barrett couldn't see the joke.

Stotty

Comment

Correct. It's just fun. You can end up returning on the side you don't want to if you don't watch it. Everything is governed by which side the server serves. It's dependent on the server serving down the middle for the returners to get what they intend...which is ultimately for the prank returner to end up playing the set on the deuce side. When this happened to John Barrett apparently he didn't take it well. His opponents were far weaker than he and his partner and they decided to pull the prank for fun. Barrett couldn't see the joke.
                How often have we seen a prank pulled during ATP play?

Agassi catching a serve comes to mind? {That's too condescending toward the opponent IMHO.}

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

How often have we seen a prank pulled during ATP play?
                  Almost never. Vitas once pulled a good stunt against Borg but then owned up to it. Borg hit a passing shot which clipped the net and dropped over, and at the exact same moment Vitas chucked the second ball he had in his hand over the net. The unsighted umpire thought the throw in ball was the ball Borg had hit. Most of the crowd thought so too. Even Borg was fooled for a moment but then twigged what had happened. I liked Vitas. He was good fun.

Stotty

Comment

Almost never. Vitas once pulled a good stunt against Borg but then owned up to it. Borg hit a passing shot which clipped the net and dropped over, and at the exact same moment Vitas chucked the second ball he had in his hand over the net. The unsighted umpire thought the throw in ball was the ball Borg had hit. Most of the crowd thought so too. Even Borg was fooled for a moment but then twigged what had happened. I liked Vitas. He was good fun.
                    That's great. You reminded me of a somewhat similar incident back in the days when tennis in US was only available on TV in B&W on PBS.

Torbin Ulrich (father of Metallica's Lars Ulrich) chased a ball off the court into the entrance from the locker room and deftly picked a ball from his pocket and hit it back into play without breaking stride. Many saw it though many didn't realize what happened. No idea who he was playing.

Let's see if I can find a photo of Toribn ... ah, from https://fiendatcourt.com/the-tennis-...torben-ulrich/

He's got that viking looking going

filedata/fetch?id=99839&d=1677259382&type=thumb
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 02-24-2023, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2910 users online. 9 members and 2901 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X