Interviewing the biomechanics trainer that fixed Aryna Sabalenka's serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    The women's Austalian Open final was on again here in Sweden on Eurosport. I picked up on it for the last few games of the deciding set. Both players were really battling nerves. The other women was only seeded 22 so it is no surprise she was battling nerves. Sabalenka, for her part looked as skittish as a cat. Particularly as the match was nearing the finish line. I have watched bits and pieces of this thing several times. For one reason only...this thread and the interview sticks in one of the small recesses of my mind.

What I gathered from watching different parts of this match is that Sabalenka hit two first serves the entire match from what I can tell. Not only that...it almost seemed as if she was hitting the second serve harder while trying to create just a little more spin at the same time. This was no biomechanics adjustment...nope. It was more case of hit and hope. Or just possibly...hit and believe. My tennis coach told me that in the case of the second serve you have to be a bit fatalistic about it. You cannot just try and steer it in there. You have to swing at it. It reminded me of a problem I was having at one point in my playing career.

I was in my early twenties and I had been married for a rather short time before things unraveled. Unravel they did. I lost my marriage, I wrecked my car and lost my job in a very short span of time. A learning experience by the way. There really wasn't much more to lose, so I did what I had to do. I picked up my stuff and headed straight into the storm. More losing wasn't an option. When the weather turned, I turned back to tennis and began to enter tournaments again. It was going surprising well but I hit a rough patch. For the first time in my life I was having problems with my serve. I was without a coach to consult with and I had developed some tendinitis in my elbow which was excruciating pain. I was reaching the later rounds and making the finals in local tournaments and things seemed to start adding up. Perhaps some post-traumatic shock syndrome. We didn't call it that in those days...it was called a rough patch. Life is like that sometimes.

My first serve was unpredictable. I really had no idea where it was going or why. The second serve was a complete disaster. Since I had zero clue as to what was wrong I was indecisive and the result was really wild. I was in between just trying to get it in and just having no idea. The fix was very simple...just cast all doubt to the wind and hit the second harder than the first. I think at first the result was unpredictable but sure enough...I started to reconnect to my motion. Something about the nervousness of competition and the tendinitis created some bit of indecision in my reptilian brain and created a rather profound disconnect. I don't remember actually losing any matches as a result of not being able to trust my serve. That is the strange part of the memory of this problem. I don't remember if it cost me.

So sure enough...it looked to me as if Sabalenka just sort of decided to wing it. Her motion is absolutely full of friction as a result of a quirky backswing. You see...between her problems tossing the ball and the timing of the backswing she has a rather pronounced hitch somewhere south of the transition part of the swing...between the backswing and forwards swing. To serve with a hitch as pronounced as that under pressure could certainly produce a bunch of double faults. Her decision to just pound on the second serve made a lot of sense in this case. It was a choice to go out looking foolish and double faulting her way to the lockerroom or to go out looking brave and being fatalistic. As it went though she eventually had to serve out the match. This is what I was waiting for today when I saw the end of the match. What was this game going to reveal in hindsight?

What it revealed was that she had zero trust in her motion. She really made a job of it getting the horse in the barn. Serving out the match. What a nervous finale. She could barely contain herself between the fatalistic second serve and misfiring first serve. She actually did double fault on one match point. The game went back and forth and fortunatley for her, her opponent was just as nervous as she was if not more. It would have been very entertaining if she would have been broken and had to come up with some clutch second serves in the tiebreak. When she finally managed get it over the finish line, courtesy of a rather unforced error on the part of her opponent...she collapsed in a pool of mental exhaustion. She really struggled that game and to her immense credit and fortune she managed to get the job done.

She is still in need of a serve motion "surgeon" though. Biomechanics or not. Whatever you want to call it. A very pronounced hitch in the transitional part of the motion. Friction. Oh my...the friction. Making the second serve a demon you do not want to face under your bed. Particularly in crucial stages of a match. I love to watch players serve out sets, matches and even championships. It is a special time in a tennis match. So mental. So psychological. So emotional. Best to have a motion with zero friction. Take Roger Federer for instance...how many times did we watch him serve it out bing, bang, bye. I miss that guy. I knew that I would.

PS...thanks for posting seano. You are perhaps the best forum biomechanics expert.
    You data worshipers are going to love this too. Behind Sabalenka's coach was sitting a guy with a shirt on that had a label that said, "Data Driven Sports Analysis". I guess that is how they got their answers for the Australian Open championships. You might as well as hire a fellow who understands intimately the service motion to get your problems ironed out once and for all. I guess the data guys figured out that if you hit the second as hard as the first...what have you go to lose? Statistically speaking. Thunderous applause.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

DATAISM...

We provide affordable sports analytics for clubs, athletes and schools to provide the analytics sports data you need to enhance success.
      don_budge

Comment

Very fascinating posts here by Don Budge.

Comment

Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post
          Very fascinating posts here by Don Budge.
          I rarely if ever say this tenniscoach1, but I couldn't agree with you more. Here is the match in question...the 2023 Australian Open Women's Final. It was a fascinating match in hindsight of seano posting the interview with somebody that you know. So in this match there is a little problem for any meaningful tennis coach. Sabalenka is obviously in a terrible battle within herself and she pulls the rabbit out of the hat for the only possible solution given that very troubling hitch in her serve. She serves up a prayer for the second serve. Taking what my dear old coach said to the next level...you must serve the second serve with a bit of fatalism.

The commentators keep making references to the state of her second serve and how it plays with her mind. At the end she collapses after her opponent makes the last error. She is given the match and otherwise she may have had difficulty finishing it on her own. I have to hand it to the Russian lady in willing herself through this nervy final. Against a much lower seeded and ranked player than herself...she tippy toed along the razor's edge. The nasty little hitch. Imperceptable to all...except me. It is the reason that this match was so difficult for her. It all begins and ends with the serve. It is the alpha and the omega. Given that the "margins" as it is popularly referred to today are razor thin...very often it is the player that serves better that wins. It has been my experience that as the serve goes so goes the rest of the game. When I was serving great...I played great. When I played the best matches I ever played...I served out of my mind. I served big. You want to have this weapon in your bag if your are a professional tennis player.

In the first set Sabalenka double faults at 4-4 to fall behind 5-4 with her opponent to serve out the set. That little hitch reared its ugly head at precisely the very moment when it counted most. Sabalenka didn't lose sight of the fact that it was all up to prayer at this point and just continued to hammer the second serve. She got lucky...or her prayers were answered? Coincidence or fate? The age old question man has been asking himself since he crawled out of the muck. The Lord of tennis and all else smiled upon her.

So how do you make the hitch disappear? What is the fix? That's easy...just a couple of lessons from the don_budge school of tennis serving. Iron out the wrinkles. Eliminate the friction. It almost looks like she is going face first into the ball on the second serve. The first as well. There is a real problem. Biomechanics? Technique? Call it what you will. I know how to fix it and fix it for good. This woman should hire me. There are no serve gurus out there. This is why the tour serve motion looks like a hodge podge of home brewed motions. Half baked as well. Roger had it in his bag. But I have not seen any others. Gonzales...the Aussies...John McEnroe...Pete Sampras...Martina Navratilova. All could count on the serve night in and night out. The car never left the track. Greased lightening.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I rarely if ever say this tenniscoach1, but I couldn't agree with you more. Here is the match in question...the 2023 Australian Open Women's Final. It was a fascinating match in hindsight of seano posting the interview with somebody that you know. So in this match there is a little problem for any meaningful tennis coach. Sabalenka is obviously in a terrible battle within herself and she pulls the rabbit out of the hat for the only possible solution given that very troubling hitch in her serve. She serves up a prayer for the second serve. Taking what my dear old coach said to the next level...you must serve the second serve with a bit of fatalism.

The commentators keep making references to the state of her second serve and how it plays with her mind. At the end she collapses after her opponent makes the last error. She is given the match and otherwise she may have had difficulty finishing it on her own. I have to hand it to the Russian lady in willing herself through this nervy final. Against a much lower seeded and ranked player than herself...she tippy toed along the razor's edge. The nasty little hitch. Imperceptable to all...except me. It is the reason that this match was so difficult for her. It all begins and ends with the serve. It is the alpha and the omega. Given that the "margins" as it is popularly referred to today are razor thin...very often it is the player that serves better that wins. It has been my experience that as the serve goes so goes the rest of the game. When I was serving great...I played great. When I played the best matches I ever played...I served out of my mind. I served big. You want to have this weapon in your bag if your are a professional tennis player.

In the first set Sabalenka double faults at 4-4 to fall behind 5-4 with her opponent to serve out the set. That little hitch reared its ugly head at precisely the very moment when it counted most. Sabalenka didn't lose sight of the fact that it was all up to prayer at this point and just continued to hammer the second serve. She got lucky...or her prayers were answered? Coincidence or fate? The age old question man has been asking himself since he crawled out of the muck. The Lord of tennis and all else smiled upon her.

So how do you make the hitch disappear? What is the fix? That's easy...just a couple of lessons from the don_budge school of tennis serving. Iron out the wrinkles. Eliminate the friction. It almost looks like she is going face first into the ball on the second serve. The first as well. There is a real problem. Biomechanics? Technique? Call it what you will. I know how to fix it and fix it for good. This woman should hire me. There are no serve gurus out there. This is why the tour serve motion looks like a hodge podge of home brewed motions. Half baked as well. Roger had it in his bag. But I have not seen any others. Gonzales...the Aussies...John McEnroe...Pete Sampras...Martina Navratilova. All could count on the serve night in and night out. The car never left the track. Greased lightening.

For openers...you look at the stance. This is the beginning of the culprit. The hitch. Pinpoint stance...too may moving parts. Micro mechanically difficulties matching both hands coming to together to get the racquet and the ball in perfect relative position to make the perfect frictionless motion. Right from the beginning a series of micro compensating moves begin trying to get the thing in "synch".
            don_budge

Comment

Sure looks like the elbow drops too low and that hitch cuts out the fluidity in her racket drop.....a " muscle " serve, not a frictionless serve as DB indicates.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                Found this on Youtube. Thought it would be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4lSamLuQU
                Seano (or anyone) what are your thoughts on what he is trying to describe regarding the Sabalenka’s tossing arm etc.? It was very unclear to me. This guy likely has waaaaaay more knowledge than me with biomechanics but I think I am much better at explaining things- it seems others are confused as well. I’m gonna keep reading the rest of the comments. Thanks in advance.
                Last edited by jeremy93; 04-05-2023, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Jeremy -

In recently speaking with someone very familiar to this website, I asked about this subject. His explanation was that the straight tossing arm goes up with the palm facing up, then the left palm inverts to allow the scapula to roll allowing for the shoulder over shoulder motion. The tossing arm will "pull to tuck" with the tossing arm moving along the target line of the serves direction. In other words, the tossing arm is straight as its pulls down until it tucks into the body and that the tossing arm should follow the serves direction.

SeanO

Comment

Also minimal isr--at least in these shots...

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                      Jeremy -

In recently speaking with someone very familiar to this website, I asked about this subject. His explanation was that the straight tossing arm goes up with the palm facing up, then the left palm inverts to allow the scapula to roll allowing for the shoulder over shoulder motion. The tossing arm will "pull to tuck" with the tossing arm moving along the target line of the serves direction. In other words, the tossing arm is straight as its pulls down until it tucks into the body and that the tossing arm should follow the serves direction.

SeanO
                      Thanks for clarifying. Helpful.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2680 users online. 4 members and 2676 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X