I have a question for all of you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for all of you...

What do you all think is the minimum time per week a high level tournament-playing high school tennis team member should be required to practice with his/her school teammates?

What's the level of play of the teammates? There's something to be said about team comradarie but not at the detriment to the players development.
    Last edited by seano; 02-08-2023, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I had this issue in my last few years of coaching high school . We had a league championship team but no one close to Yulia, our number one and actually the top norcal junior. We agreed amaicably on one day a week. I would have Yulia play serve and volley on every point and approach on every return against the two next best. She was captain and everyone loved her. She ended up winning the sectional singles title.

Comment

The boy in question is a UTR 10.5. The next 3 boys are UTR 8.0-8.5.

After I get a few more responses to this question I'll tell you what I offered him/his mom and then you guys can tell me what you think.

Comment

Hey guys/gals,
          I need a few more opinions.
          Some coaches I've asked say "no practice, no play." Others say that his contribution to the team's win-loss record is enough.
          He can contribute 3 points to the 10 points we would need in order to win a match.

Comment

It's about the relationships. The kid and family need to feel a part of the team. My opinion is it needs to be a win/win. If the kid isn't enjoying it and doesn't feel a part, then better no. But see my post above about how it can work out well. No practice no play is harsh and seems coach ego driven.

Comment

While you wait for more replies, here's a cautionary tale from my youth, when I was the "tournament-playing high school tennis team member".

Playing in the final of some regional schools doubles tournament, I was in a tight first set, when, being a bit of an asshole, I served an underarm. The opponent watched it trickle to his feet and said "you can't do that". Argument ensued, followed by appearance of referee. More argument, suggestions to replay point. Then I produced from my tennis bag the Rules of Lawn Tennis published by the LTA, which as stotty will confirm, in the late 70s was a little grey brick of a book. Surely this will tip the argument in my favour, I thought.

It didn't.

Had to replay the point. We tanked the rest of the match, and I was kicked out of the school team for bad behaviour.

Comment

I agree that it should be a win-win. Both sides should give a little.

We have practice on MWF and matches on Tue & Thurs. Practice is about 2 hours long on those days.

How many days/hours should he have to attend practice? Please explain your answer. (Does this sound like a test question? )

Comment

One day for an hour or so and devise some games/drills that help him work on weaknesses or other parts of his game he wants to develop. If the spirit is right and he has other commitments or tournaments from time to time that fine. Main thing is everyone feels part of a team.

Comment

GG,
                    That was wrong wrong wrong what happened to you.

Comment

Practice isn't an exact science but the general consensus is players need a lot of it if they are maximise their potential. We don't have an effective high school or college tennis programme here in the UK compared to the US. Actually, tennis in schools is non existent in most parts of the country.

I have an 11-year-old who clocks up around 10 hours a week practice and a 15-year-old who clocks up around 17 hours a week. When I say practice, this includes lessons, squads and hitting. They go off to play matches at weekends which further adds to the tally. Both kids live and breath tennis so it works. The main thing is trying to ensure their education doesn't suffer. On the basis virtually no one makes it as a tennis player, it's extremely important, in my view, education stays at the forefront.

I have other kids I teach who are in a similar ball park in terms of practice. As a minimum, I encourage 5 to 6 hours a week for players that want get a least somewhere in the game. Practicing 5 to 6 hours a week in very manageable for most kids and not disruptive to education or to the wider family in general.

I consider it a bonus all round if a child is an only child as all the parental resources get channelled to that one child. It's also handy if one of the parents is driven and the other one is grounded and sane. Unfortunately one of the parents needs to be nuts. Having a level parent who can put their foot down occasionally can be really useful in stabilising the nutty parent and the child.

I've been through a lot of this. Win/win? Yes, I would say this is the best way to go. For me it's a coach/parent/child triangle. Get that right and you have a win/win situation. Good planning and communication is absolutely key.
                      Stotty

Comment

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the suggestions.

A few more viewpoints/suggestions from anyone who chooses to respond and I'll let you know what my position is. I'm trying to get as many data points as possible before I tell you what my decision is.

Comment

A little more background: He can't come to practice because he has so many lessons/clinics but he can play matches.
                          Ok, so now what do you all think is a reasonable amount of time at school practice?

Comment

Originally posted by morespin View Post
                            A little more background: He can't come to practice because he has so many lessons/clinics but he can play matches.
                            Ok, so now what do you all think is a reasonable amount of time at school practice?
                            He may have a credible point. It's hard for a player to get all the tennis they want at one venue (I am talking about the UK) and so keener players seek to get training and coaching at numerous venues. As the lead coach (and there must be a lead coach) it's very much about player management. Lead coaches coaches need to chart what students are doing and the hours they are spending on court. There is no reason a player cannot walk in and play matches if they are an asset and are getting maximum training elsewhere. It can work so long as the other players on the team are informed and understand the reasons why one of the player is not training with them.

It can get tricky with better players who are an asset. They have more leverage over the coach if they want to start power broking to get out of training. The coach can play dictator hardball tactic but they risk losing the player. This is a situation I have been in a lot. There are ways of dealing with it.
                            Stotty

Comment

Like I said an hour one day a week assuming positive feelings all the way round.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3168 users online. 8 members and 3160 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X