Marseille ATP 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marseille ATP 250

Young Arthur Fils through impressively to 2nd round, where he will face number 2 seed Sinner. Fils has a big game, all the shots, and he has a bit of a attitude out there(in a good way). The French may have a contender on their hands.
    Last edited by stroke; 02-24-2023, 12:42 PM.

Fils routines Stan in 2. He has all the shots and superb footwork and court coverage. He is on the cusp of top 100, and he looks like top 20 easily. The way he dances around to hit a sitter forehand reminds me of the gold standard, Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Fils routines Stan in 2. He has all the shots and superb footwork and court coverage. He is on the cusp of top 100, and he looks like top 20 easily. The way he dances around to hit a sitter forehand reminds me of the gold standard, Fed.
      Seriously...does anybody actually have the stomach to watch an entire match of any of these guys? It is just a tad early to start the proverbial comparison of Roger Federer. Sure...this kid has been making some waves. He's creating some blabber around the tennis universe. But if you look at his career record he hasn't done anything earth shattering besides taking down an ageing Stanislas Wawrinka. In the waning moments of his career after some debilitating knee injuries. Fils has wheels. He can move and cover a lot of ground. The bane of a guy like Stan who is limited in his wheel department. Tennis is a game of wheels...all things being equal. But let us just wait and see about Fils. He is terribly young. Only eighteen and a half. He has perhaps a bigger hurdle to clear in his next opponent. Benjamin Bonzi...a French compatriot ranked number 60 to Arthur's number 118. It's an ideal matchup for young Arthur. A higher ranked French man in front of a highly partisan French crowd. Arthur with nothing to lose and Benjamin risking a lot to an up and coming shark eating his way up the food chain. Benjamin under pressure. Moreso than Fils. It might end up being a match of nerves and who controls them the best. Under pressure. You know the feeling. If you are the least bit human...these days.

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I was not really saying he is the next Fed. I was simply saying on that one shot, a sitter forehand, the way he dances around, so light on his feet, and stands over the ball, reminded me of Fed, who did that so beautifully.

Comment

I was not really saying he is the next Fed. I was simply saying on that one shot, a sitter forehand, the way he dances around, so light on his feet, and stands over the ball, reminded me of Fed, who did that so beautifully.
          Johan Kriek is a Facebook friend of mine...he projected Fils out to win a Grand Slam at some point. Horse aheand of cart? Time will tell.
          don_budge

Comment

Yes if I had to bet ha, I would say he is a future Slam winner. He seems to have all the shots, including a very good serve, and he seems to have a great court disposition. To me, he has a bit of edgy confidence, almost a bit unfrench like, which is a good thing maybe for his career outlook. The French have had so may great players like Gasquet, Monfils, Tsonga, Simon, even Mannarino, but they have not gotten a Major.

Comment

This match vs Bonzi is going to be a good test here for Fils. Bonzi won the 1st set 6-4, with one service break. It will be very interesting to see how Fils responds.
              Last edited by stroke; 02-25-2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Fils goes out to Bonzi, who was doing his RBA impression, in 2. Fils was not having his best day, and just could not fight his way through to a 3rd set. Bonzi played a great match and deserved the win. Fils is only 18, and getting through matches on one's not best day is a learned hurdle for most. There are not many Nadal's at age 18.

Comment

Fils goes out to Bonzi, who was doing his RBA impression, in 2. Fils was not having his best day, and just could not fight his way through to a 3rd set. Bonzi played a great match and deserved the win. Fils is only 18, and getting through matches on one's not best day is a learned hurdle for most. There are not many Nadal's at age 18.
                  Yeah...I would say from personal experience that that is a huge, huge hurdle. When I got to the point where I was figuring out a way to win on a day where I wasn't at my best, I felt that I had cleared a huge hurdle and my confidence went up a notch. Maybe two. There had to have been days when Bj?rn Borg didn't feel one hundred percent on his way to five straight Wimbledon titles. He was on the ropes a number of times. But something inside of him kicked in telling him that all was not lost. To hang in there. Just to get over this next hurdle...win this next point. Things can turn around.

Excellent point stroke. The education of a tennis player. Young Fils has a long road ahead of him and it will be matches like this that will propel him over the line in the future. If he is worthy.

don_budge

Comment

Hurkacz and his formidable game takes out Bonzi in the Final. Hurkacz has such a nice serve and service motion. I can't think of any non giant that has a better serve, totality of 1st and 2nd serve, other than Nick or Raonic(if he is still playing).

Comment

Hurkacz and his formidable game takes out Bonzi in the Final. Hurkacz has such a nice serve and service motion. I can't think of any non giant that has a better serve, totality of 1st and 2nd serve, other than Nick or Raonic(if he is still playing).
                      Benjamin Bonze, the conquerer or the next NEXT Arthur Fils, was summarily erased by "The Big Lug" Hurkacz. I tried to watch some of it. I really did. But after about ten minutes it is just unbearable. Like all the rest of modern tennis being played. Is there anyone that can hold the attention of an avid tennis connoisseur any longer? Isn't there any solid reason to declare a match of the day? I cannot for the life of me thing of any. Not a single one. The greatest player in the game today is a poster boy for a snooze fest. The rest of them are mere facsimiles. Once in a while someone gets your hope up. Stefanos Tsitsipas for instance...but that is quickly leveled in an avalanche of hype and expectations. We'll see. I know...the jury is still out. Some are holding out for Carlos Alcarez. Some are holding out for Jannik Sinner. I say don't hold your breath.

Or you can be like Data Boy and focus on the Ladies game. Good luck with that...traditionally speaking.
                      don_budge

Comment

DB, I just don't think Serena is coming back. Let it go.

Comment

DB, I just don't think Serena is coming back. Let it go.
                          Serena who?
                          don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2885 users online. 12 members and 2873 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X