No announcement yet.

Indian Wells ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF: Fritz is obliterating his forehand. Tennis Channel's Jim Courier, "I don't think you can appreciate on TV how hard Fritz is hitting his forehand but Sinner is standing up to."

Stat: Jannik Sinner hit higher max speed on his forehand (108 MPH) and virtually identical average speed (78 MPH)

The main difference (aside from Sinner's forehand seeming effortless while Frtiz was coming out of Nike Air Vapors) is the depth. Sinner's forehand forms a line about 2 feet from the baseline, while Fritz's landed shorter. That's consistent with Fritz's complaints about the wind: If he hit with the wind it flew, if he hit into the wind his shot landed short. Also for the "first 4 points dictate" crowd, Fritz won more 0-4 shot rallies, but lost to Sinner who was only better on rallies of over 9 shots. (Sorry, Craig O'Shannessy!)

Hmmmmm ..... can't place the court map here, so I added another response.

Thanks/ jim

filedata/fetch?id=100156&d=1679686895&type=thumb
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-24-2023, 11:58 AM.

Comment

The Sinner- shot placement image:

filedata/fetch?id=100159&d=1679687120&type=thumb

Comment

I watched the match. Absolutely to me, the Alcaraz forehand the biggest shot on the court there.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          I watched the match. Absolutely to me, the Alcaraz forehand the biggest shot on the court there.
          I agree. It was the biggest. And it was certainly decisive. But is that the "weight", i.e. the combination of velocity and spin that we perceive?

If I'd taken a quiz afterwards I would have said his forehand was going faster, but I'd have been wrong.

Update: Just remembered the RPMs are in one of the boxes I posted. Alcaraz's forehand averaged 1/3 more topspin than Medvedev's (3000 vs 2300). More kinetic energy overall, and big jump off the bounce. Particularly when Carlos took Medy wide repeatedly. Ball must have seemed like a rabbit bolting away from Medvedev.
          Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-24-2023, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Discussing Rod Laver led me to dig out this 2019 photo of him, alone in the hotel lobby, pursuing his phone.

I wanted to say hi & he's so personable I'm sure he wouldn't have minded, but I couldn't bring myself to intrude. Seems to be at IW every year.

filedata/fetch?id=100175&d=1679762781&type=thumb

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2506 users online. 5 members and 2501 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X