No announcement yet.

Madrid Masters ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite the match here. We all know how good Alcaraz, but Struff showing how good a player he is. Great serve technique, huge forehand, and very aggressive service returns, taking the ball on. Also doing a lot of serve and volleying, and he is a very handy around the net.

Comment

This has gotten interesting! In the second set, Struff is serving great and coming to the net, 13/18 at the net in winning that set alone (27 of 41 at net overall so far).

Shades of beating Tsitsipas, Struff saved all 5 of his break points in the 2nd set.

Clay court? What's a clay court? I don't need no stinking rallies <g>.

Comment

ATP says that if the 33 yo Struff upsets Alcaraz (they just entered the 3rd set), he would become the "oldest first-time Masters 1000 champion."

Comment

Oh, well the Lucky Loser is still a winner in my book, making a Master 1K final at 33 yo. Well done. Took top seed to 3 sets.
          Struff won approx 1/3 of his points at the net 31/51
          Makes me think a better mover, volleyer, server ala Fed, Edberg, Sampras would do well against Alcaraz. At least 20 yo Carlos.

Comment

Struff is a great player that competes well. It just to me shows how tough it is to make an impact at the ATP level. Carlos is great, he along with Sinner and Rune appear to be the ones, but none will ever approach what Novak, Nadal, and Fed have accomplished at the 1000's and Majors to me. Those 3 are the Secretariats of tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              Struff is a great player that competes well. It just to me shows how tough it is to make an impact at the ATP level. Carlos is great, he along with Sinner and Rune appear to be the ones, but none will ever approach what Novak, Nadal, and Fed have accomplished at the 1000's and Majors to me. Those 3 are the Secretariats of tennis.
              Give Alcaraz a chance yet. He may get into that sphere. He's awfully good
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Give Alcaraz a chance yet. He may get into that sphere. He's awfully good
                Indeed. Per ATP he's about to return to world number one "Alcaraz, 20, of Spain, will be back at the top of the rankings going into the French Open if he plays at least one match at the upcoming Italian Open."

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                  In latest clash of the women's top 2 ranked players, Arnya Sabalenka tops Iga Swiatek 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in a tough, high quality match.
                  Beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings. I watched much of the second set and some of the third. A terrible match, in that neither player seemed to be able to want it. Back and forth...seesawing between some admittably "big shots" but very frequently dispersed with just terrible mistakes. On both ends. Neither seemed to want it. I watched it to observe the performance of Sabalenka's serve and Swiatek was unable to sustain any kind of consistent pressure on it. I have to admit...the serve actually held up rather well. As I have maintained all along...it will hold up. Until you need it most. Under pressure.

Swiatek played miserably...for her standard. I read that she was very, very unhappy with the scheduling of her matches. Several went past one in the morning. She complained rather emphatically...that it was no fun playing that late. She complained within earshot of the tournament director just to drive the point home. She wasn't herself from my point of view. Her service motion leave a lot to be desired as well. It is less complicated that Sabalenka's...but still does not approach fulfilling her potential. Her game is not as reliant on power as Sabalenka's and therefore is not so dependent on the serve. Not that I am an expert on the women's game. Just casual observation.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Sinner in full flight in overwhelming Kokkanakis in 2 sets. His forehand was just a force, that effortless Fed Fognini like forehand on full display. Grigor plays Stan and Rune vs Fils a couple of interesting matches today.
                    Last edited by stroke; 05-12-2023, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7841 users online. 11 members and 7830 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X