No announcement yet.

Cincinatti ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlos played a great first set and is firmly in charge. The heat is getting to Novak and he looks a little sapped. He needs to serve better and get some cheaper points. By contrast Carlos is serving bombs and is getting a high percentage of first serves in.

Novak did a great job of smothering Carlos in the early stages of their last two matches but has had little success doing it this time round. Carlos looking the better player right now.
    Stotty

Comment

What a win by 36 year old GOAT Novak. Maybe one of the best Masters 1000's finals ever. Carlos played great also. Novak just too good. 39 Masters 1000's. No words.

Comment

I went to bed when Novak was one set down and 1-3 down. Things weren't looking too rosy at that point. The only thing I noticed was that Djokovic was just going into a state of inner calm when I retired to bed. Whether that was due to a certain amount of resignation I have no idea but I have seen it before. Once the nerves have gone and the vision of what to do becomes clearer, then all of a sudden things can change. I saw Rafa do the same to Meddy in one of their recent slams....not sure which one. If a player can achieve inner calm, it's great news.

Novak will be pleased he won. Not that the trophy or money will mean that much anymore, but it stops Carlos being able to feel psychologically dominant in their rivalry. It was actually a vital win at this stage in his career against his future heir.
        Stotty

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            I went to bed when Novak was one set down and 1-3 down. Things weren't looking too rosy at that point. The only thing I noticed was that Djokovic was just going into a state of inner calm when I retired to bed. Whether that was due to a certain amount of resignation I have no idea but I have seen it before. Once the nerves have gone and the vision of what to do becomes clearer, then all of a sudden things can change. I saw Rafa do the same to Meddy in one of their recent slams....not sure which one. If a player can achieve inner calm, it's great news.

Novak will be pleased he won. Not that the trophy or money will mean that much anymore, but it stops Carlos being able to feel psychologically dominant in their rivalry. It was actually a vital win at this stage in his career against his future heir.
            Bizarre match. Stretches of great, physical play amidst -- other stuff. Carlos up a set and a break, Djokovic calling for the trainer and looking like he has heat exhaustion. Then Carlos goes on a complete walkabout, something like 7 completely unforced errors in a patch (all/ most forehands ! ). Jim Courier saying "Alcaraz has to ignore what's going on on the other side of the net and keep playing his game." He apparently couldn't. Djokovic comes back, revived like he went to Lourdes. Perhaps his Tao Nano-patch with a quantum tube (I'm not making that up. That's the vendor's words for the magic patch Djokovic wears on his chest) suddenly kicked in.

Craig O'Shannessy credits Djokovic going something ike 10 for 10 on S&V points against Carlos in a deep return position.

I credit the MTO. As Max Smart, the TV detective would have said, "The old medical time out trick."

Djokovic has now looked near physical collapse very early in 3 big wins -- Carlos at French, Ruud at French, and Carlos again now at Cinci. Slowed each match to a snails pace, then turned it around. As Andy Roddick said:

Roddick: Isn't it both of them? And a back and a hip?

Reporter: And when he said there are too many to count ...

Roddick: And a cramp.

Reporter: Do you get a sense right now that he is ...

Roddick: Bird flu.

Reporter: A lot of things. Beijing hangover. He's got a pretty long list of illness.

Roddick: Anthrax. SARS. Common cough and cold.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-22-2023, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Ha on Maxwell Smart, I loved that guy. One thing about Novak out there, the Cone of Silence is not in play. Novak is not a poker face out there ha. A lot going on. Where IS THE trainer?????

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8236 users online. 8 members and 8228 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X