No announcement yet.

Interactive Forum October 2023: Ben Shelton Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the topic of watching matches many players now pay services to chart their opponents,

Comment

Cross posting with Shanghai, to this topic on Ben's serve since it might interest people here that might not otherwise see it.

Stoke linked to this originally from today's match.

filedata/fetch?id=102365&d=1696956367&type=thumb
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here are some new stats from the ATP's newish TDI data initiative, this rating the effectiveness of Ben Shelton's serves.

On your left is a breakdown of Ben's first serve results. On your right the average first for the ATP.

Per ATP: "Ben Sheltonis also among the leaders with a 67.5 Serve Effectiveness rate on first serve and a 33.3 % rate on second serve, based on his ATP Tour events in 2023.

{This describes the columns' color bars} The ATP Tour average Serve Effectiveness rate on first serve is 58 per cent, broken down as follows: aces (16%), unreturned (22%), attacking first ball (20%). That leaves 38 per cent for a neutral rally state on the server's first ball, three per cent for defence on the first ball, and one per cent for return winners.

Second 32%. NOTE: SORRY the first serve image shows a second time below. I can't delete it on several tries.

x filedata/fetch?id=102379&d=1697057229&type=thumb
        Attached Files
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 10-11-2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Going into Wimbledon, Ben was high in the list among seeded players BUT still just below the likes of Shapovalov and Tiafoe. Per ATP stats.

filedata/fetch?id=102383&d=1697058094&type=thumb

Comment

Be nice to see the clip slowed down even a little around the contact point.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              Be nice to see the clip slowed down even a little around the contact point.
              Ok, let's see if this works. Haven't touched video in so long .... I can't recall whether one can upload video directly to the forum. We'll I'll try embedding a code for YouTube

Around contact point in first service in the video, slowed to 10% of original. Works for you, stotty ?

You can also pause the video, then select the "gear" icon, and finally playback speed, to further slow by another 1/4.

I hope this is OK with John, after all this is his video. ????

Last edited by jimlosaltos; 10-21-2023, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Jim, quite incredible and exactly what I wanted. Stunning ISR I would say. Looks to happen earlier than most players, and more extreme.

Thank you so much.
                Stotty

Comment

Great !

Comment

Ultra fast isr and the consequence high elbow bend like Pete...

Comment

Rarified company for the big 21 yo !
                      Let's hope he keeps growing

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                        Ultra fast isr and the consequence high elbow bend like Pete...
                        Could not agree more. He is somehow to me a mix of the Sampras and Roddick serve, and he is a lefty. That is a yikes for his opponents.

Comment

Below is a link to Tennisplayer contributor John Craig on Ben Sheldon's serve. Thoughts?

Comment

And Ben Makes Four.

ESPN: "There are four American men ranked in the top 15 of the ATP Rankings for the first time since 1997'

Soon the Laver Cup will be reformed as the US vs The World !!! Well, maybe not soon

filedata/fetch?id=102465&d=1698088481&type=thumb

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                              Below is a link to Tennisplayer contributor John Craig on Ben Sheldon's serve. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urhghr1jzTg
                              I really like John Craig. All I am going to say is I don't think one could find a more challenging service technique to mimic than Ben's. That being said, it is a dynamic weapon, and beautiful technique.

Comment

It's a ridiculously beautiful and efficient motion. Nothing left on the table. The setup gives you just a tad of McEnroe and then he morphs into one of the finest pinpoint moves I have seen. The problem with the pinpoint is all too often that the toss gets way up in the air but young Shelton seems to have the timing down pretty near perfectly.

That being said...I would like to see a platform based delivery from him. Who knows? Sinner did experiment some time this year with exactly that. But back to Ben Shelton. This is a weapon we haven't seen in quite some time other than the serve bots. This is one bonafide bazooka level of serving. Can he improve it? He surely can and I for one hope that he does. By virtue of this capability it opens up all kinds of possibilities for the young American.

I watched him play Jannik Sinner in Vienna just now and he may have lost a tad of his edge after such a big week last week a couple of dozen time zones away in Tokyo. But he played him pretty darn even Stephen. If Ben wants to take it up a couple of notches...he might want to read my next post in "Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...". This kid might just have a gold mine of potential begging to be mined.
                                don_budge
                                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8698 users online. 6 members and 8692 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X