Brisbane ATP 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    Grigor Dimitrov picked one of his favourite tournaments at which to snap a six-year title drought Sunday, beating Holger Rune 7-6(5), 6-4 in the Brisbane International presented by Evie final to collect his ninth ATP Tour title.

There was just one disappointment: Dimitrov’s parents, Dimitar and Maria, had to leave the final early to catch a flight home.

"I told them goodbye before the match and I was checking the clock a few times to see if I would finish the match a little earlier but unfortunately it was not that easy,” Dimitrov said.
    I love to watch Grigor play. A beautiful game and a real tribute to the sport out there. To me, with Grigor, it is all about his topspin backhand. Everything else is almost always there, day in and day out. He has the best slice backhand in pro tennis to me, but he has to use it judiciously. But when his topspin backhand stands up and performs as it did today vs Holger, he can beat anybody, except the big 3. Watching him play, it is mind boggling to me that this was his first title since 2017.

Comment

Least we forget the WTA, in another rematch of last year's Australian Open women's singles final, Elena Rybakina routines the defending AO champ 0 and 3.

Despite having a H2H of 3-5, Rybakina has now won 3 of their last 4 matches -- Brisbane for title, Beijing quarters, and Indian Wells for the title.

WTA: "World No.4 Elena Rybakina captured her sixth career title and first of the season at the Brisbane International, defeating No.2 Aryna Sabalenka 6-0, 6-3 in the final on Sunday. The victory ended Sabalenka's 15-match win streak on Australian soil, a streak that began last year with her wins in Adelaide and the Australian Open.

World No.4 Elena Rybakina dropped just three games to No.2 Aryna Sabalenka in the final of the Brisbane International to win her sixth career title.

Comment

Baby Fed looks Fed like. I miss the classic game of yesteryear!

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
          Baby Fed looks Fed like. I miss the classic game of yesteryear!
          Me, too.

There was an interesting promo for a tournament last year, forgot which one, featuring Rublev vs Dmitrov using old rackets.

Vid cut to players audio between points, when Rublev said, "Grigor's strokes are so beautiful. Even when he misses, they're beautiful."
          Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-13-2024, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I don't know about the classic game of yesteryear, to me Grigor simply has the second most easy on the eye game ever, second only to Fed.
            Last edited by stroke; 01-15-2024, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Chris Eubanks really looked solid in his 1st round win over Daniel. Stan loses in 5 to Mannarino, losing sets 4 and 5. Murray did not look good in losing to Etcheverry. Ben Shedon with a nice win over always tough RBA.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Me, too.

There was an interesting promo for a tournament last year, forgot which one, featuring Rublev vs Dmitrov using old rackets.

Vid cut to players audio between points, when Rublev said, "Grigor's strokes are so beautiful. Even when he misses, they're beautiful."
                They are so beautiful! But also efficient because he can handle all kinds of balls with little racket wiggling. Meanwhile, the new generation can hit big balls but struggle on the run esp on the forehand side. Beauty hopefully translates into efficiency which might give the classic game a new life.

Here is hoping!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2442 users online. 6 members and 2436 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X