No announcement yet.

Madrid ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great match by Lehecka...brutal. The standard in tennis is just so high at the moment. Rafa and Novak are edging past their best and you have to believe the writing is on the wall. Players are hitting the ball harder and harder. Lehecka's average ball striking speed on both forehand and backhand must be right up there, certainly looks it on TV anyway.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      Great match by Lehecka...brutal. The standard in tennis is just so high at the moment. Rafa and Novak are edging past their best and you have to believe the writing is on the wall. Players are hitting the ball harder and harder. Lehecka's average ball striking speed on both forehand and backhand must be right up there, certainly looks it on TV anyway.
      Well done by Lehecka. Quite the athlete. Obviously, I Nadal in his prime would continue to rack up the clay titles, but he certainly seems to be at the end. Quite the career. His accomplishments on clay will probably stand forever

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Well done by C. Quite the athlete. Obviously, I Nadal in his prime would continue to rack up the clay titles, but he certainly seems to be at the end. Quite the career. His accomplishments on clay will probably stand forever
        Rafa had a few spells where his forehand is still the best shot on earth but overall he's a shadow of his former self. I am not convinced he can get to the level he needs to win RG, and to make matters worse, players are losing there fear of him. Lehecka was fearless from start to finish and no trouble closing out.
        Stotty

Comment

Alcaraz goes out to Rublev. Sinner withdraws with injury. Fritz has quietly been playing the best tennis at Madrid thus far.

Comment

Alcaraz goes out to Rublev. Sinner withdraws with injury. Fritz has quietly been playing the best tennis at Madrid thus far.
            Holy Cow. We could have FAA vs Rublev for a final on clay. { Checking to see if I'm in the right multiverse. Nope.}

Comment

Alcaraz fell short in his chance for an amazing three-peat in Madrid.

Aside from Rublev managing to keep his emotions in check, what stood out yet again, for me anyway, was that Alcaraz's serve is a shadow of what it was when he shone so brightly as he broke in on tour.

Two matches with 59/60 % first serves won, and faced 26 breakpoints in 30 service games over the two matches. Regularly winning more points behind his second serve than his first. Note: Carlos still has a wrap and a compression sleeve on his injured pronator muscle of his right forearm.

In the second half of the loss, Rublev was sitting on the wide kicker to the ad court and last jack-hammering backhands down the line or crosscourt at will.

Sumpppin's wrong in Villena. Two images

filedata/fetch?id=104163&d=1714598974&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=104164&d=1714598974&type=thumb

#
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 05-01-2024, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Fritz beats Cerundolo. Strange match. Cerundolo seemingly completely in control in the third set, then suddenly loses 8 points in a row to lose the match. Talented young player, though, and nice to watch on clay.
                Stotty

Comment

I am picking Fritz to win this tournament. I have always liked his game.

Comment

I am picking Fritz to win this tournament. I have always liked his game.
                    Wow. Bold move. But Taylor is playing great, and Madrid likes good servers.

Let's check H2H (although I think Taylor's great form coming in is more relevant, and he's only played 1 match against all of them on clay, I think?)

Fritz 0 - Medvedev 1

Fritz 2 - FAA 1

Fritz 3 - Lehecka 0

Fritz 5 - Rublev 3

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Wow. Bold move. But Taylor is playing great, and Madrid likes good servers.

Let's check H2H (although I think Taylor's great form coming in is more relevant, and he's only played 1 match against all of them on clay, I think?)

Fritz 0 - Medvedev 1

Fritz 2 - FAA 1

Fritz 3 - Lehecka 0

Fritz 5 - Rublev 3
                      Not the line up I expected at this stage in the competition but it is what it is. It's really disappointing that Alcaraz lost and he's having such a dip in form after his meteoric rise back at SW19. I have always seen problems with his game and match temperament (shot selection and attitude to risk) but he was so good that these flaws didn't seem to matter. I still believe he is head and shoulders above the rest of the field (Sinner and Novak excepted) if he can get his mojo back.
                      Stotty

Comment

Not the line up I expected at this stage in the competition but it is what it is. It's really disappointing that Alcaraz lost and he's having such a dip in form after his meteoric rise back at SW19. I have always seen problems with his game and match temperament (shot selection and attitude to risk) but he was so good that these flaws didn't seem to matter. I still believe he is head and shoulders above the rest of the field (Sinner and Novak excepted) if he can get his mojo back.
                        Good points. But "mojo" or tactics and confidence? Where have 134 mpg served gone?

Comment

Alcaraz just pulled out of Rome. Arm apparently is bothering him more than he shows on court.

Comment

Haven't yet seen this semifinal, but what happened to Fritz's great service? Straight forward win for Rublev?

No flag wins 83% behind his first serve, Fritz only 69%.

In points won on first its 38 for Rublev to only 18 for Fritz. Was Rublev on fire or bad day at the office for Fritz?

P.S. Yesterday, Fritz responded to an ATP highlight post on social media with "That's 'Claylor" { as clay + Taylor }

filedata/fetch?id=104184&d=1714755435&type=thumb
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 05-03-2024, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I have not watched it yet, but I am going to. It looks like both played well, Rublev just too good.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Alcaraz just pulled out of Rome. Arm apparently is bothering him more than he shows on court.
                                I am wondering whether Carlos is going to be unlucky with injuries like Rafa. Rafa missed around 11 slams in his peak years, the was rotten luck.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8002 users online. 5 members and 7997 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X