No announcement yet.

Djokovic serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deco Turf and Plexicushion are made by the same company. Both are variable surfaces--based on the numbers of layers of paint with rubber particulate underneath-and the size of the particulate in the various layers. More layers more cushion.

Then there is the finishing coat and the amount of sand in that. You can just barely feel the give on these courts when they are new and have a lot of layers. Sand in the top coat is probably still the biggest factor in these courts--just like regular hardcourts--since they all go over a asphalt base.

Comment

Slice

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
      Pretty sure the US Open courts are not Plexi. I've gotten to hit there a few times over the last few years. Sort of nice playing out there where you know the US Open takes place each year.

I just meant to inquire about what you knew about the Plexi surface, since you seem to be more familiar than most with the characteristics of that surface. It seemed to give a great Aussie Open this year and I didn't hear of injuries blamed on it like the last surface they used.
      The important part of the conversation above for ME is that Aussie Open courts and courts in Portland,Oregon( the location of the last Davis Cup) put some premium
      on slice.
      The second part was whether Aussie Open courts and US Open Courts
      will be close surface-wise/bounce-wise/speed-wise enough for this year.
      At this moment my question is "poorly phrased" because there are rumors
      that a surface for this year US OPEN maybe a bit different that the last year.
      The open question remains whether a surface in this situation is
      an equalizer and which directions.
      In the case of the Aussie Open the choice of surface was supposed to be suitable for Hewitt due to his style of game.
      Another issue was like this:
      is a court a bit quicker(whatever it means) more suitable for Federer?

In scientific terms you may analyse five issues:
      1.does a ball skid an a given surface?
      2.how much of a vertical component of a speed of a (say flat) ball
      is absorbed?
      3.how much of of a planar (parallel to ground) component of a speed of of (say flat) ball
      is absorbed?
      4.how much temperature affects item#2 above?
      (if you put more rubber in layer#5 or layer#6 would a ball bounce much lower?).The issue is amplified by a max temperature and temperature changes in Australia.
      5.is a court after a year of usage close enough to a original one
      in terms of bounce etc?

If you answer some of questions above you may try to describe
      whether a sliced ball has a larger planar ( parallel to to ground) component
      than a vertical one.It will give you a bit of understanding why slice
      is more important on some surfaces
      Last edited by julian; 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM. Reason: expanded

Comment

The serve of Djokovic is under Umag 2006

Originally posted by uspta1882566509 View Post
        Hey everyone,

Just finished watching Djokovic beat Federer! Can't believe how well Djokovic served.

His grip looks very weird to me...looks almost like a one handed backhand grip. Not sure if that was an optical illusion on the TV but it looks definitely far off from a continental grip. Seems like his tendency is to serve out wide in the deuce court and down the tee in the ad court which would make sense with that kind of a grip.

any thoughts ?

Florian
        The videos of serve by Djokovic are in the Stroke Atchive under Umag 2006

Comment

Djokovic serve secret

The big secret that every one is missing is Novaks elbow bend angle!!!!
          like Sampras its about 90%
          this enables him to get his body to get in front of his arm and then his arm and wrist lays back then snaps down
          It looks like he has a fhand...ish grip

Originally posted by uspta1882566509 View Post
          Hey everyone,

Just finished watching Djokovic beat Federer! Can't believe how well Djokovic served.

His grip looks very weird to me...looks almost like a one handed backhand grip. Not sure if that was an optical illusion on the TV but it looks definitely far off from a continental grip. Seems like his tendency is to serve out wide in the deuce court and down the tee in the ad court which would make sense with that kind of a grip.

any thoughts ?

Florian

Comment

I think you have probably realized you are late to the game with that last post, as we have hashed out the elbow bend aspect of speed on pro serves to the point that only new data can entertain us.

Of course, new commentors always help to liven things up. Ck out the post on the upward swing when u have a chance.

By the way I agree with you, except that Sampras did regularly get better than 90 degrees as well. I think u can find better examples of pros who don't get as much bend and serve slower.
            Last edited by airforce1; 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Djoker's dribbling

I just read that Nole lost to Kevin Anderson in three today, and that his game began to crumble after Norm Chryst gave him a time warning and the crowd cheered. Yesterday, out of curiousity, I bounced a ball 16 times before serving. It was boring and irritating and distracting even to myself. Ditto my opponent, who did not get it until I told him what I was up to. Try it, on yourself and on a someone else. It won't make you any friends, and maybe would make you the local pariah/buffoon. Good for Chryst, and may other umps have the nerve to crack down on this gamesmanship, by Djokovic, Nadal, and anyone else.
              Last edited by ochi; 03-28-2008, 10:51 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2623 users online. 5 members and 2618 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X