X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***double Post***

Comment

Look at this one:

He starts with the unit turn but definitely pulls his hands back as well, then bends his elbows to take the racket up. He straightens both arms out briefly as he starts down.

If you want to use the bent/straight config--or rather if that's natural to you, you don't have to do the same on the backswing. Look at Hewitt for someone who goes back straighter longer.

The backswing is within limits probably just a preference or a feeling to get the racket to the right spot to start forward. Work on getting the right hitting arm position going forward to the ball, and then match the backswing to achieve that.
      Last edited by johnyandell; 02-24-2008, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you John.
        So you would say that you woulden't favour Nalbandian's backswing over Hewiitt's, or the other way around? With the bent/straight backhand, is the straight arm stil dominant in pushing the racket forward, or does it increase the push of the bottom arm due to a stronger grip (wich you have mentioned is common among bent/straight pros). As you said, Nalbandians grip is weak for a bent/straight to be, but he obviousley has got a great backhand. Can you point on some elements wich makes his backhand as strong as it is?

Comment

I don't favor either. No two players look quite the same and the point is not to model the backswing.

I think you go straight back, with both arms flexed at the elbows--model the start of the forward swing without the dip and role and then once your forward swing is working see if you haven't developed your own independent backswing.

As I said the over focus on backswing shape keeps players from establishing more important positions sometimes.

Before I say anything more about your backhand I need to see a clip.

Comment

John, did you see this clip that i posed earlier?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

OK that helps. The problem is I can't go frame by frame to really look at the transition to the forward swing.

My guess (and only that) is that you are trying to come up artificially at the end of the backswing--trying to model Nalbandian?--but it doesn't look natural.

I would instead model the start of the motion forward. Get turned, get the elbows relaxed with the back elbow tucked into toward the hip, the racket head very slightly below ball level. Now have someone feed you in that position. Get comfortable with it. Now from ready position visualize this and just hit. See if you don't connect the dots better. Again, no two players look exactly alike on the backswing-that's why I think the idea is to learn where you want to start forward from.

If you need one idea it's just to go straight back.

Comment

Thank you very much John.

Comment

OR if you do feel like you definitely want to go up--just your feeling--I would do it sooner. It just seems like the up down thing right now is rushed and doesn't look "right."

Comment

by the way john, do you know what makes nalbandian's backhand so strong?

Comment

Uh, him. Technique and talent.

Comment

yeah, just wondered if it was possible for you to point at any of those good thechnical elements, but i understand that it's a difficult question.

Comment

Go back and read the two-handed articles in Advanced Tennis-it's all in there-it's not anything specific that's different to him. He's a good example of bent /straight.

Comment

Thanks again John. Time for me to end this topic.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3430 users online. 5 members and 3425 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X