Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilson grips

Originally posted by brett701 View Post
    I like prince grips. Wilson come in 2nd. i do not like head or volkl grips. i feel like they force you into a specific grip that forces a style of play. They are much more rectangular and it is very hard to grab a semiwestern grip with these grips. It seems it pushes you towards full western or towards continental pending the side of the grip your hand is favoring.
    I have had a student who complained about Wilson grip as being "too square".
    He was thrown to wolves by his coach.
    julian uspta pro 27873
    juliantennis@comcast.net
    Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-15-2008, 06:50 AM.

Comment

My question

I like prince grips. Wilson come in 2nd. i do not like head or volkl grips. i feel like they force you into a specific grip that forces a style of play. They are much more rectangular and it is very hard to grab a semiwestern grip with these grips. It seems it pushes you towards full western or towards continental pending the side of the grip your hand is favoring.
      You did NOT answer my question above
      julian uspta pro 27873
      juliantennis@comcast.net
      Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-15-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

i have hit with just about every prince that is out there now. I like the speedport white tour . that has a very good feel and the balance is very good. The black is a pretty good racket as well. However the white tour and non tour seem to be much more solid all around. In my particular case my timing on my 2 handed backhand was very slightly off with the black and i never really got it where my timing was perfect how i like. I put them in the category for top 4 racktes that prince sells.

Yes wilson is a very square feel. Prince is more squared than wilson. Grip is a matter of preference.

When i teach i am always checking hte grip to make sure it is correct. Many people may disagree with this, but i think that alot of errors stem from an incorrect grip that does not coincide with the stroke. A stroke can look great and its hard to pick up what is wrong if they have a more severe grip than you thought. You need to be able to tell the student whether or not to open the stance or close it more etc.

Comment

Why not talk racquets?

Why would John Yandell not approve if it stimulates use of the forum? And, he has yet to say anything against it, that I've seen, although he once told me in an e that he isn't into racquet talk. Pick one you like, and use it, is the gist of what he said. But someone in his position probably gets to try new sticks every year, if he wants, and discuss them with company reps; most of the rest of us have to demo, and if there's not much of a choice at local clubs, we have to send away. Therefore, discussions here are interesting, I think, and might be useful in making a choice... An extra-useful topic would be how string tension can make a seemingly dull racquet more responsive, easier to control, more or less powerful, or all three. Stubbornly sticking to, say, 60 lbs., can be foolish; on the other hand, it might be best to go to 60 from some other tension. One frame can be several racquets. Discussing the myriad strings now on the market would be interesting, too, but way beyond many of us, although I'd like to know how sensible it is for club players to buy polyester.

Comment

Which blade?

i have hit with just about every prince that is out there now. I like the speedport white tour . that has a very good feel and the balance is very good. The black is a pretty good racket as well. However the white tour and non tour seem to be much more solid all around. In my particular case my timing on my 2 handed backhand was very slightly off with the black and i never really got it where my timing was perfect how i like. I put them in the category for top 4 racktes that prince sells.

Yes wilson is a very square feel. Prince is more squared than wilson. Grip is a matter of preference.

When i teach i am always checking hte grip to make sure it is correct. Many people may disagree with this, but i think that alot of errors stem from an incorrect grip that does not coincide with the stroke. A stroke can look great and its hard to pick up what is wrong if they have a more severe grip than you thought. You need to be able to tell the student whether or not to open the stance or close it more etc.
            Which Blade did u try?

Comment

Originally posted by ochi View Post
              Why would John Yandell not approve if it stimulates use of the forum? And, he has yet to say anything against it, that I've seen, although he once told me in an e that he isn't into racquet talk. Pick one you like, and use it, is the gist of what he said. But someone in his position probably gets to try new sticks every year, if he wants, and discuss them with company reps; most of the rest of us have to demo, and if there's not much of a choice at local clubs, we have to send away. Therefore, discussions here are interesting, I think, and might be useful in making a choice... An extra-useful topic would be how string tension can make a seemingly dull racquet more responsive, easier to control, more or less powerful, or all three. Stubbornly sticking to, say, 60 lbs., can be foolish; on the other hand, it might be best to go to 60 from some other tension. One frame can be several racquets. Discussing the myriad strings now on the market would be interesting, too, but way beyond many of us, although I'd like to know how sensible it is for club players to buy polyester.

It would be nice to have a more professional place to discus the different aspects of racquets. If you have ever been in the racquets section of TalkTennisWarehouse you know what I mean. If I think of a viable, intellectual topic on these matters I will post it.

-Shaun Frazeur

Comment

k-blade 93

I've tried the K-blade 93 and I can say it's the best racket that I've hit with in a long time... It's really a players racket and you need to have a ton of skills to handle this racket. It's pretty much like a blade golf club(irons).If you know anything about golf clubs,all of the golf-clubs making companies are selling clubs that are very forgiving .. The forgiving clubs are mostly used by the general public and only a very few percentage of players (even pros) use what are called BLADES ... Tiger is one of those few..
                The K-Blade 93 is like those bladed golf clubs. They are very NOT forgiving but they reward a highly skilled player in terms of accuracy and feel ,touch,sometimes power, ect.
                The first session that I used it, all I need to do is think about going to the lines and follow through and BANG !! I hit the lines...
                I teach so I don't use it on a daily basis but a few of the kids I teach did switch to the K-Blade 93 and hey love it...

Comment

i havent tried the 93 kblade. i have tried the kblade team racket that is 104 sq inches. i believe the willams sisters use this; however, im not certain. I hit amazing with this racket. It does feel like it is head heavy and needs a bit more weight in the handle, I really do like the racket a great deal.

Comment

4.2 head light

i havent tried the 93 kblade. i have tried the kblade team racket that is 104 sq inches. i believe the willams sisters use this; however, im not certain. I hit amazing with this racket. It does feel like it is head heavy and needs a bit more weight in the handle, I really do like the racket a great deal.
                    It is 4.2 head LIGHT
                    please see

Comment

NTRP level?

Originally posted by kmoranon View Post
                      I've tried the K-blade 93 and I can say it's the best racket that I've hit with in a long time... It's really a players racket and you need to have a ton of skills to handle this racket. It's pretty much like a blade golf club(irons).If you know anything about golf clubs,all of the golf-clubs making companies are selling clubs that are very forgiving .. The forgiving clubs are mostly used by the general public and only a very few percentage of players (even pros) use what are called BLADES ... Tiger is one of those few..
                      The K-Blade 93 is like those bladed golf clubs. They are very NOT forgiving but they reward a highly skilled player in terms of accuracy and feel ,touch,sometimes power, ect.
                      The first session that I used it, all I need to do is think about going to the lines and follow through and BANG !! I hit the lines...
                      I teach so I don't use it on a daily basis but a few of the kids I teach did switch to the K-Blade 93 and hey love it...
                      What is a NTRP level of kids you mentioned above?
                      Last edited by uspta146749877; 04-06-2008, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
                        It would be good if the supermoderator would define whether it is OK
                        to talk about rackets here
                        or"

Comment

yes, i know that it is headlight. it FEELS like it is head heavy.

Comment

gremlins

or"
                            do we have some gremlins?
                            Did we loose some text?

Comment

k-blade 93

What is a NTRP level of kids you mentioned above?
                              they are sectional and national players...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2724 users online. 7 members and 2717 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X