A New Year's Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Swim-Two-Birds

This is a great book (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Swi...s#Plot_summary)
    but could be interesting prescription for an experiment in forehand.

In that case one bird would be your left hand and the other your right hand.

All of unit turn would be accomplished at once with both elbows rising with hands
    still forming a hoop including the volleyball distance between the two of them on
    the handle and throat.

Next the hands separate. Hitting hand falls at the natural rate of gravity blending
    into shoulder lowering as part of the formation of a power pocket.

But let's back up to pick up the action. As both hands separate the two palms roll
    slightly open.

As racket softly approaches the oncoming ball (as if to catch it) the two palms roll
    inward to square for the huge burst of short power about to occur.
    Last edited by bottle; 10-18-2016, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Flat vs. Topspin One Hand Backhands

My model for flat version remains Petr Korda as seen in the following
      video (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...A4DD&FORM=VIRE).

I see these flat backhands (which still carry topspin) as an example of
      slow racket travel in which straightening body does most of the work.

This shot, if even a bit like Petr's, might be all a recreational player
      needs other than his slice.

It is a great challenge however to learn more topspin as in the following
      model where the two arms fly faster and farther but most of all MUCH HIGHER (https://tennisone.tennisplayer.net/m...e.outline.html).

Under "Backhand Training click on
      1) One Hand Backhand Dance Kata
      2) One Hand Backhand Racquet Kata
      3) One Hand Backhand Racquet & Live Ball Training.

I know I use Latinate words sometimes but why not if they're going to help?
      The key word here, as far as the shoulders are concerned, is "abduction."
      Both shoulders, for this particular administration of topspin, lift up, which
      is not the same as scapular clench. SC may happen while the shoulders
      become part of the body lift but it doesn't take over. In fact, it may only be
      1/2 SC, i.e., scapular clench divided by two.
      Last edited by bottle; 10-19-2016, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bottle View Post
        Flat Backhand

My model for this shot remains Petr Korda as seen in the following
        video ().

I see these backhands as an example of slow racket travel in which straightening body does most of the work.

This shot, if even a bit like Petr's, might be all a recreational player
        needs other than his slice.

It is a great challenge however to learn more topspin as in the following
        model where the two arms fly faster and farther ().
        Petr Korda - interesting - my oldest daughter went and hit at his club when we were vacationing in Prague. His assistant was superb - when we left she gave us this big huge book on the history of Czech tennis that was autographed by Petr. Nice gift. What a great club he runs - VISTA Tennis. The guy who handles all the stringing there is an ex-Swedish pro hockey player and we chatted about a lot of guys we knew from back in the day. First time we ever played on real clay - what great courts. Petr was not around, as I guess he spends half his time in Florida.

http://www.vistatenis.cz -- great facility.

Comment

• Thanks. Greatly interesting guy and family.

Comment

• Forehand to Backhand to Forehand

Repeatability.

Moving wall.

Click on Lock and Key, Part 2 .

(https://tennisone.tennisplayer.net/m...e.outline.html).

Comment

• Awareness of Wrong End of Racket

That would be the tip. You want to be more aware of the other end.
              Or of both ends together, no?

Locking into the shot is one concept. Staying locked with racket kept
              square is another.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post

Petr Korda - interesting - my oldest daughter went and hit at his club when we were vacationing in Prague. His assistant was superb - when we left she gave us this big huge book on the history of Czech tennis that was autographed by Petr. Nice gift. What a great club he runs - VISTA Tennis. The guy who handles all the stringing there is an ex-Swedish pro hockey player and we chatted about a lot of guys we knew from back in the day. First time we ever played on real clay - what great courts. Petr was not around, as I guess he spends half his time in Florida.

http://www.vistatenis.cz -- great facility.

By now I've clicked on all the items in this website. This does seem like a wonderful
                place. Wouldn't mind visiting there some day.

Comment

• Excitement as Prerequisite to Instilling Good Stroke Design

Coming at 8 p.m.: One of the Friday night tennis socials where I put my new ideas
                  to full test.

I'm so excited this time-- which can prove the most awful place to be. One can
                  step out on the court and immediately get swung around by one's racket as every
                  one of one's too many ideas suddenly flees, old habits flare, the evening
                  becomes no fun.

This evening feels different. I just love my new word, new at least to me
                  (http://www.bing.com/search?q=katas+d...R&pc=EUPP_DCTE).
                  Wow, 1,520,000 hits. A few other tennis players have looked it up.

Before this, "Kata" was a woman on a poster on every pillar in Budapest.

I can't wait to insert my "Two Birds-At-Swim" kata into the very first stroke of warmup.

I've modified it a little. Only one hand-- the hitting hand-- need turn out, opening the
                  racket through mondo and faux catch.

Left hand can be relaxed and still, doesn't need to spin unless one is a professional
                  dancer.

But what a neat and succinct new loop the hitting hand is going to perform.

Everything will depend on height of the initially raised elbows with hand and throat
                  nestled in between.

No extra turn. What a waste of time that's been for decades. You listen to me, tennis
                  player. I've done the experiments, which you needn't repeat unless you want to. Either
                  turn your shoulders completely with both hands on the racket or turn them completely
                  while separating your hands. But don't first keep both hands on racket while turning
                  shoulders and then separate hands while turning shoulders more because THAT
                  WASTES TIME. You ought to listen to me even if you won't.

The symmetrical raising of the two elbows drains tip momentum right out of the racket
                  which is what one wants.

The height of the elbows is such that the racket can go down with natural fall and without
                  one thinking about it. (One does not want racket hand to have to go up again before it falls.)

Thinking about the succinct loop would probably be all right through installation mode.

Opening racket loops up right under the ball. Whole arm rolls strings up and square as big bod
                  takes over with both ends of racket locked to travel at same speed melding into final wipe.
                  Last edited by bottle; 10-21-2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• The Score

Any time you have three new strokes to show, or even old
                    shots with slight modification, something unexpected is apt
                    to occur.

Especially in Detroit. As I drove up to the tennis facility I
                    noticed that the place was pitch black. And there were no
                    cars in the parking lot. And the gates were locked. With
                    a small sign on one declaring a power blackout in that
                    part of Detroit.

So there was no Friday night tennis social, and I hope that
                    I now don't over-intellectualize the strokes.

Comment

• Doing Your Own Counting

By that I mean that while there are many capable teaching pros and
                      tennis writers who can recommend two or three counts for a ground
                      stroke and three or two counts for a serve, they seldom tell you, at
                      least not with convincing force, exactly which part of the action should
                      correspond to which count.

I realize that this discussion should pertain only to learning phase, but
                      since I believe in learning phase all the time, I find myself chanting
                      numbers a lot.

In this forehand description or rather what it might inspire
                      (https://tennisone.tennisplayer.net/m...e.outline.html), I am thinking
                      of two counts but with demarcation in a place I have almost never thought
                      of. Click on Racket & Live Ball Stroking under "Forehand Training."

Perhaps I can explain by replacing the 1-2 of 1-2 rhythm with the words
                      catch and throw or catch-throw.

Further, I'm sure that playing Christine, Doug King's assistant pro in the
                      video, would be a huge challenge, probably like taking on Simona Halep
                      in my case.

Still, I think Christine uses up too much hips rotation in coming to the ball. I
                      would rather come to the ball pretty much with arm only before the
                      major muscle groups take over. I'm not a great player and never will
                      be so I've got to play smart and think this is the way.

So, in the 1 or "catch" of 1-2 rhythm, I perform all the functions of
                      preparation and getting hand out to the side (and just slightly
                      forward) with strings open to bottom inner quadrant of ball in
                      a single count that includes all necessary footwork.

The last key micro-element-- rolling strings square to back of ball- can
                      then function somewhere between finesse and power move.

Your cranking hard from the shoulder blends into that part of the
                      hit where both ends of the racket accelerate at the same time
                      and the big body elements blend in. You add to racket head
                      speed in other words but a racket head speed that largely
                      is provided by the bod followed by the almost extraneous windshield
                      wiper, extraneous in that the ball already is gone but a good indicator
                      of whether the ball was hit well.

Couldn't play and didn't have time to line up a hit or a match so did
                      self-feed.
                      Last edited by bottle; 10-24-2016, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Infielder Catches Grounder and Throws to First

Can't see why this is a bad rhythmic model. How you catch,
                        how you throw of course is very important. I seek a throw in
                        which racket opens as part of a small loop then closes which
                        closing adds to upward body force.

Comment

• Fashion Statement

All the men wore orange with stegosaurian stripe
                          down the spine. All the women wore black ice
                          picks. Except for a few whose skirts were declared
                          to be in confessional mode.

Confessional screen at church inspired one of the Nike
                          designers to put a sieve full of small holes in every
                          skirt so that voices could travel through.

Ted Tingling meanwhile tingled in his grave.

Comment

• Topspin Forehand Imagery for Coming to Ball with
                            Open Strings (continued)

Make as if to catch lower inner quadrant of ball with the
                            open strings. Then square racket as if against back of
                            ball. Then use image of a rising square bucket on a
                            water wheel to contact the ball with both ends of racket
                            rising equally. Do it right and the roll blends into the lift.
                            Last edited by bottle; 10-25-2016, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• Two Questions

How much should people discuss stroke technique?

Answer: A lot. In fact, with no limit. In other arcane
                              subjects, say horse-riding, the kind of saddle soap
                              one uses may not interest any outsider but nevertheless
                              remains one of a thousand obsessive details all part
                              of somebody's overwhelming passion. Without which
                              there never is significant expansion of one's consciousness.

2) Are the power cord of Doug King and the aeronautical
                              banking of Welby Van Horn the same thing?

Answer: I don't have the full answer-- yet. There are similarities
                              in body rise. Is the advocacy of Van Horn more toward flat forehands,
                              that of King more toward topspin forehands? This area requires
                              further thought but at least I have posed the question.

Comment

• More than One Way to Skin a Tennis Ball

A design feature of the new forehand model that
                                intrigues me so much is the chance of "gel" between
                                arm roll and part of the tract where the two ends of
                                the racket travel together.

A way to help along this future fantasy of realistic
                                neurological improvement may be to delay mondo
                                after twin elbow rise.

The succinct loop coming up so much from under the
                                ball rather than from behind it can actualize the poetic
                                image of an old fashioned water wheel turning up.

Backward arm rotation and late mondo form a loop that
                                seems part of the subsequent water wheel.

To summarize, arm pattern starts with double elbow rise
                                to drain momentum out of racket tip to help make racket
                                "disappear."

The idea for what comes next then is racket opening to one
                                part of the ball, closing to another part of the ball, and then
                                ripping over a third part of the ball-- which is very good method.

What I propose as alternative though is simplification of transition
                                from faux catch to push of both racket ends. This seems
                                good way to implement the water wheel image. But one
                                now catches back of the ball rather than the bottom of
                                it (none of this of course actually happens). One will initially
                                have lifted hitting elbow higher than other elbow to achieve the
                                difference.

Have no idea as yet of whether this scheme is workable but
                                am curious to find out.

Can a great forehand possess the following racket work similar
                                to a shortstop in baseball barehanding a ball and slinging it to
                                first?: 1) backward rotation of arm plus mondo, 2) pushing with
                                both ends of the racket which is water wheel or Ferris wheel,
                                3) wiping the racket home.
                                Last edited by bottle; 10-27-2016, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8062 users online. 4 members and 8058 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X