This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serve Toss question

John, could you reply to post 1810 please?

Comment

• Dprem,

I hear you about the toss. The two things I would focus on--and probably I am echoing things Scott said--are holding the toss arm at extension and releasing with minimal to zero spin. Often the upward arm motion is way too fast. You are right there are a ton of motion options. I wouldn't worry about which one is "right." I would experiment with variations until I could control the height.

Comment

• Overhead question

If a player has to back peddle and jump for an overhead, does he get more power than if he is stationed with his feet planted. The top players seem to...or at least they don't seem to lose power versus when they are planted.

I just wondered if, correctly timed, driving up off the ground to the ball, even when moving backwards, generates more power?
        Stotty

Comment

• Stotty,

Great question. All we need is a few good players and a radar gun. Not sure though any player would jump if he didn't need to.

Comment

• John, I'm going through your serve series. What do you mean by wind-up? Is it a specific moment like when the racquet tip points to the sky? Or is it the process of moving the racquet to the racquet-drop position?

Comment

• I don't have a specific point I call the wind up--not even sure of the context of the phrase...it's general... feed me back on what I said that you have a question about and I can respond

Comment

• Maybe this is obvious for most of the audience but for me, I'm not sure what exactly is wind-up.

Is it the process of delivering the racquet to racquet drop? Or delivering it to the point of racquet tip pointing to the sky before dropping it?

Or is it a specific point in the path of the racquet head?

1) Teaching Systems/Serve/Swing Keys:

Players at all levels can reach the racquet drop with wind-ups of all sizes and shapes.

2) Teaching Systems/Serve/Swing Keys

Opening the wind-up and making the motion more circular is often a magical solution.

3) Teaching Systems/Serve/Body Rotation

Practice your wind-up without the ball.

Comment

• Is it bad that my toss is so far to the left for these kick serves? I find it hard to make the ball spin and move a lot if I don't toss it this far over.

Also do you want to see the front or back for my backhands?

Thank you!
                  Last edited by eaglesburg; 01-23-2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Prem,

OK, now I get your question The windup in the way I am using it refers to the shape of the motion from the ready position all the way to the drop. It's not a a matter of the tip pointing up, it's a matter of how the motion delivers the racket to that position and then to the drop. More abbreviated windups tend to rely on backward shoulder rotation to get to the drop. More circular ones--like Fed or even more extreme I think require less flexibility. You can have the elbow higher and more forward. The key is finding a motion that allows the racket to find that drop position along the right side of the body. Go into the regular stroke archives and look at Phillippousis for a great example of a classic circular windup.

Comment

• Eagle,
                      What kicK serves? For backhand give me 3/4 front and behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                        Eagle,
                        What kicK serves? For backhand give me 3/4 front and behind.
                        Sorry, I will edit the post. Missed it somehow.

And ok.

Comment

• Yes that's too far! Go look at the Sampras serves in the regular archives. That is the human limit--and I think you are beyond it...Then for a more reasonable position, look for Fed in the high speed archives. At your age I think that could be really hard on your shoulder--or anyone's at any age. It's kinda amazing you can even do it.
                          But you need to take the spin you can get with a reasonable ball position.

Anyone else want to chime in on this??

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post

Anyone else want to chime in on this??
                            Yes...but eaglesburg might want to start a thread so as to let this Sticky Thread be for what it is for. I view this thread but seldom interact because I feel it's a place where members can ask questions directly to you and you only.
                            Last edited by stotty; 01-24-2016, 07:06 AM.
                            Stotty

Comment

• Volley racquet head speed

Recently I purchased a Sony tennis Analyser. My volley spin rate is above average for users of this device, but my swing speed and ball speed are below average. I have never seen any articles about these volley components. If my volleys are well placed should I be concerned about swing and ball speed? How do you increase the swing speed of a volley - just move the hand/arm through faster?

Thanks,
                              Ralph
                              Last edited by ralph; 01-24-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Ralph,
                                Who knows what "average" is. I am working with a group I know that is doing sensor work that might have some actual value...
                                On the volleys I would read the articles in the advanced tennis section. They are I think actually some of my best. The components of these motions aren't well understood. If you have those down god will determine how much pace is average etc for you.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7841 users online. 8 members and 7833 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X