X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John

I would appreciate your opinion on something:

I have a talented 11-year-old I am coaching. He uses a two-hander and has the racket head stuck up close to vertical during the backswing phase (think Zverev, Bruguera). It's natural to him and I have let him continue with until this point. The problem is he has timing issues at the contact point and often gets caught late even on relatively slow balls. I am contemplating converting him to an Agassi style take back as he may find the timing easier. He's young enough and things aren't too baked in yet.

What are your thoughts on the vertical take back and would you encourage change even though the mechanics look pretty good...but timing is a persistent problem?
    Stotty

Comment

• Hard to say without video. Where is everything at the bounce of the ball? Is he slow starting the turn? I favor the compact take back but the other can work depending on the timing of what is where when...

Here is Zverev. Where is your guy's racket in relation to the full shoulder turn? The step to the ball? Zeverv's motion is continuous. Your guy?

Last edited by johnyandell; 01-28-2024, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• Thanks John. I will shoot some clips and do a side-by-side with Zverev. I have had two players in the past who use the vertical take back and they are best two-handers I've ever had! When it works it really works. Both players had timing issues early on but eventually came through them.
        Stotty

Comment

• Keep me posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Keep me posted.
            I will.

And while I have you, would you know what are the common causes of jackknifing on serves. Is it more likely to occur on a 'pull' serve than and 'push' serve (Dr Ben Kibler)? In which case would lateral pinpoint be a potential cause? Or coming through with rear leg too early regardless of stance? I am just wondering what are the common flaws that trigger jackknifing in the biomechanical chain and the best ways to fix it?
            Stotty

Comment

• That's a tough one. Again video would be necessary. Is it before or after contact? Some great servers like Roddick have extreme kick back and bend at landing. Others like Fed land much more upright. Toss too far in front? I have people model the Fed landing without the ball. Then film from the side to see if the contact is too fr in front.

Comment

• Hi john, wanted to get your opinion on converting from bent arm to straight arm forehand. high usta 4.5 level/weak 5.0 level with bent arm forehand right now. is it a matter of hitting the ball more in front? or are there drills you recommend/can you link an article. I can link a video of my hitting

Comment

• So the first question is why? As Brian Gordon has said, ht may be the gold standard, but only a small percentage of players can actually do it. And even at the very highest levels there are many players with great great forehands who hit elbow bent. Check out Sinner in the HS Archives who many feel has the best forehand in the current game.
                  So definitely post some video. They may be more important underlying issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                    So the first question is why? As Brian Gordon has said, ht may be the gold standard, but only a small percentage of players can actually do it. And even at the very highest levels there are many players with great great forehands who hit elbow bent. Check out Sinner in the HS Archives who many feel has the best forehand in the current game.
                    So definitely post some video. They may be more important underlying issues.
                    Sure, so this is some footage i took from a terrible angle last night, when focusing on contacting the ball in front more with a straighter arm, I don't really take videos of myself playing that much so hopefully this suffices: https://youtu.be/G3MhPz1xvR8. With the focus on contacting in front i find sometimes I completely mistime the ball a lot so I was curious on how i could find that feeling better, and i also struggle more on higher balls that i could normally crush. Now I'm stuck in tennis limbo where I kind of don't know how to hit either forehand properly.
                    Last edited by ; 01-31-2024, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Well, you are right about the video... Can't see much. The one thing is that your turn isn't great and you are not stretching your left arm across. Check out my forehand articles in teaching systems. Your extension is (probably) also short. These are fundamentals are far more important than the arm structure.

Comment

• -I have a question on two handed backhand volley. I am thinking of switching to a two handed backhand volley, as I have so much more confidence I can hit a hard ball. Kind of the same reason why I switched from a one handed backhand to a two handed backhand, especially for returns. I was wondering what people think of this? I heard Pat McEnroe had a two handed backhand volley. Was wondering why more pros and juniors switch to two handed volley. I see brooksby using it on some volleys. I see college players using the two handed backhand volley when ball is hit really hard.
                        -Also if a person is to use a two handed backhand, I was wondering what hand to think of. Is it a "left handed volley" for a righty or, or a normal backhand volley, with left hand there for support.

Comment

• I think it's more of a left handed forehand volleyy. Definitely less reach. But the great Australian doulbes player used two hands on both sides on his volleys...Eventually we will have footaage I hope of Brooksby. In the meantime you might film both versions and post them.

Comment

• Brooksby's suspension was shortened. Off in March.
                            haven't heard when he returns to play.

https://www.nbcsports.com/news/jenso...est%20happened.

Comment

• True

Comment

• Thanks John!!!

Who is this player you are mentioning?
                                "But the great Australian doulbes player used two hands on both sides on his volleys..."

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3058 users online. 4 members and 3054 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X