• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thank you john

Comment

• Np!

Comment

• Hi John,
        I have a question about something I noticed during the whole China Open: Are players allowed to watch their opponent’s match on site? If not, why not? Or if they are, why don’t they do it?
        I have watched most matches from every angle and seat on site, but I have never seen a player watching another player’s match. Alcaraz even left Beijing before the start of Sinner and Medvedev’s match. I guess that could be beneficial for him as they are the two guys that just beat him. Or is it just that they can do it, but it’s not that useful? Or do they only watch matches like other members of the audience in front of TV sets? That sounds weird though. If you can watch very closely and record video at the highest resolution with your cameras on site, why would you choose to watch a very far away top angle with only 1080p at its best?​
        And also I recall some news during the US Open said that Medvedev can't watch the match on the hotel's TV so he searched online and watched other players' match from a pirate link. So why didn't he just go to the court to watch on site..
        Last edited by ; 10-04-2023, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Good question and I don't know. Some may have their coaches do it?

Comment

• It's kind of strange that when I search this on Google, no one has asked a similar question yet. Anyway thank you John!

Comment

• Originally posted by ;n102301
              Hi John,
              I have a question about something I noticed during the whole China Open: Are players allowed to watch their opponent’s match on site? If not, why not? Or if they are, why don’t they do it?
              I have watched most matches from every angle and seat on site, but I have never seen a player watching another player’s match. Alcaraz even left Beijing before the start of Sinner and Medvedev’s match. I guess that could be beneficial for him as they are the two guys that just beat him. Or is it just that they can do it, but it’s not that useful? Or do they only watch matches like other members of the audience in front of TV sets? That sounds weird though. If you can watch very closely and record video at the highest resolution with your cameras on site, why would you choose to watch a very far away top angle with only 1080p at its best?​
              And also I recall some news during the US Open said that Medvedev can't watch the match on the hotel's TV so he searched online and watched other players' match from a pirate link. So why didn't he just go to the court to watch on site..
              Good point.

Miloslav Mecir, during his playing days, would often watch matches at Wimbledon on site. He sat in the sit next to me once on an outside court and watched a match for around 40 minutes. I saw him to this a few times. I go to Wimbledon every year. I have never seen another player do that other than to support a compatriot.

Interestingly, Mecir didn't have a coach, so perhaps he was doing his own homework on other players. I should have asked him when I had the chance.
              Last edited by stotty; 10-06-2023, 01:19 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

• I loved the Big Cat's game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ;n102301
                  Hi John,
                  Players watch opponents matches often, but I suspect more often from elsewhere than the stadium.

At the US Open, I think it is, you'll regularly see TV shots of players in a balcony area off a cafeteria overlooking play while eating. Similarly there are eating areas at Wimbledon, that the players hang in.

Players also talk about watching matches on TV in the locker rooms.

One reason to watch elsewhere, in addition to getting away from the stadium, is to sit down with their coaches and review their opponents.

I recall Federer crediting his 2019 Aussie Open final win to staying up late in his hotel, watching how Dimitrov took Rafa to 5 sets and emulating Grigor's shot selection.

I do love the irony of original Fed copying and learning from Baby Fed <g>

Comment

• It looks like it's only because of the packed schedule of the China Open. I've got some snaps from social media of Alcaraz watching Medvedev's match and Ferrero watching Sinner's.10081.jpg10082.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Players watch opponents matches often, but I suspect more often from elsewhere than the stadium.

At the US Open, I think it is, you'll regularly see TV shots of players in a balcony area off a cafeteria overlooking play while eating. Similarly there are eating areas at Wimbledon, that the players hang in.

Players also talk about watching matches on TV in the locker rooms.

One reason to watch elsewhere, in addition to getting away from the stadium, is to sit down with their coaches and review their opponents.

I recall Federer crediting his 2019 Aussie Open final win to staying up late in his hotel, watching how Dimitrov took Rafa to 5 sets and emulating Grigor's shot selection.

I do love the irony of original Fed copying and learning from Baby Fed <g>
                      Interesting.. But why didn't he watch Dustin Brown lol...

Comment

• Ok Jim thanks

Comment

• John

stroke pasted an article by Hugh Clarke who invariably has an interesting take on tennis matches and strokes. https://hughclarke.substack.com/p/dj...droid&r=1t7zzc

If you scroll to the 4th and 5th clip down with the video comparisons of the Sinner/Novak backhands, I just wondered what you take was on the following caption under the second of the two clips.

You can see how Djokovic employs a ‘locked-wrist’ follow-through, maintaining this wrist position with his strings facing up to the sky as his torso unwinds. It makes timing the ball easier. In contrast, Sinner ‘rolls’ his left hand over the ball so he finishes with his left-palm and strings facing down and his racquet tip pointing right. He can get more topspin.​
                          Stotty

Comment

• You can't tell a thing from that terrible video. One of the common errors I feel is taking one shot and drawing conclusions--especially with blurred video with low frame rates and no shutters... Go in there and look in the high speed archives. You can see them both with on edge finishes...

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members/high_speed_archive/phantom/Jannik_Sinner_HD_HS/index.html?dir=Backhand/JS_BH_Wide&stroke=BH%20Wide%20NeutralStance%20CC%2 0Front2%20240fps.mp4&new=

Sinner in this one hits with the racket more on edge. He also hits with his wrist laid back. He probably has more arm rotation on many. That is what accounts for heavier spin--probably.
                            Last edited by johnyandell; 11-21-2023, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• John,

This is less a question than a suggestion {Unless you have any early thoughts on him to share, which would be great. }

You might need to start planning a serve video on this guy, Djoko sponsored Hamad Medjedovic​, who won the ATP NexGen singles.
                              I understand flights to Serbia are on sale for the holidays. Kidding

20 year old hit 19 aces in 15 service games, had a long streak winning all his first serves.

Max 142 MPH, averaged 126 MPH, while putting ave serve within 20 inches of lines.

ATP-TDI rating of 9.4, which would be top 10 on ATP although I'm still figuring out what it means <g>. Now, this was indoors ... etc.

filedata/fetch?id=102906&d=1701548411&type=thumb
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 12-06-2023, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Maybe so.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3045 users online. 10 members and 3035 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X