X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Don,
    Here is the list:

You can also find it by clicking on "see all articles" by category link on the front page and then click on Forum.
    Thanks, John. I should have known!

Comment

• John, care to comment on importance of keeping the racket face (the impact side) facing downwards during the start of the serve movement? Keeping palm of hand facing downward. You Thanks
      Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-13-2016, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• I don't see it? Where for example? Are you talking about before the trophy position but not really the start?

Last edited by johnyandell; 04-13-2016, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Vic Braden:
          to facilitate the loop, keep your palm down as you draw back....
          on the serve

Comment

• Uh, no. If you look there is a huge range of options with top players. I loved Vic but I would not look to him for guidance to be honest.

Comment

• Welby Horn was a fan of having the palm down somewhat during the wind-up phase as he felt it ensured the racket face closes and so keeps the elbow away from the body. I guess he was referring to reducing the chances of a dropped elbow so common in young juniors.

I like an on edge or slightly closed racket face during the wind-up phase. An open face can certainly lead to more trouble in my view, though Raonic might disagree.

Palm completely down would seem ridiculous.
              Stotty

Comment

• Stotty, agreed. Again it's not about rigid positions in the windup those are as different as the forehand backswings--or more. It's getting to and through a decent trophy position to the racket drop.

Again, I loved Vic but his rigidity combined with his high visibility for decades really set back tennis instruction in my opinion.

Comment

• John, for a club player, how far into the court should the ball be placed for a hard, flat serve? Good old Vic (careful now John, he is watching carefully from above...), says "Try to go too far forward on your toss: get the feeling that you're going to fall on your face"...
                  Kuerten throws it way forward.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCiIqOf06dg

I know top players like Federer don't, but how about us normal players? What is best for good speed?
                  Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-25-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Great question. For a flatter ball possibly hit harder, yes maybe more infront although Guga wasn't exactly know for his mph. So maybe...but I really don't think so in the long run.

The problem is you still have to get to the ball that is tossed more infront which means more leg drive up and out--OR letting the contact point drop so you can reach it with your arm. Not good.

Model your contact point at the front edge of your nose. The guys who are way out there in front still make contact at the edge of the face in relation to there own body. Now how far can you get your body into the court with your arm extended at the elbow, not tilted too much down or forward?

There's your answer. In general trying to tweak one variable out of context with the motion doesn't lead to consistency. Might lead to a buzz and the placebo effect and one or two really fast balls without spin...

Does this guy serve big enough for you?

Last edited by johnyandell; 04-25-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Here's another question for you John. What do you think of Vic's analysis here?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42STJgl2K4E

Comment

• That it's crazy and wrong in so many ways. Roscoe doesn't keep his foot on the ground for one thing. Don't put these thoughts in your brain!

Comment

• Wonder if poor old Vic ever got anything right....

Comment

• I would get a permanent headache if a tried to figure that out...

Don't get me wrong I knew him, had him over to my house, liked him and he was passionate about tennis and promoted it. But most people working in the industry think a lot of his stuff was just crazy and the veneer of science and pseudoscience that was used to justify it definitely did some damage. I had a very interesting experience when I was an unknown teaching pro with an avid student who wanted to go worship with Vic. His forehand never recovered.

Comment

• Just wondering what grips Novak is holding in ready position for return of serve in your opinion?

Comment

• I think it's his forehand grip or close. Index knuckle on bevel 4. Something close to what is described here:

What do you think?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2000 users online. 5 members and 1995 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X