Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So for Roddick and Monfils..."Pinform" it is.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

• Ok or narrow platform...

Comment

• How much of straight in bent-straight?

In the 2HBH, it seems most ATP players are using the bent-straight model. After going through various backhand sections and experimentation, I've figured this is good for me (male) as well.

The question I have is, how straight does the left arm need to be? Looking closely at Djokovic's BH, I'm not convinced he uses a fully straight left arm. There seems to be a minimal bend. I will not disagree with the terminology of bent-straight because in WTA style bent-bent, the bend with left elbow is cystal clear at about 90 degrees.

But for a club player (me), what would be optimum? When the racquet head changes direction, do I straighten my left arm fully so that it cannot be extended further? Or do I leave just a little bit of flex?

Fully straightening my arm has caused me golfer's elbow in the past which has gone away now. If this indeed is the way to go in order to maximize racquet head speed and control, I'll do it.

Or since this is off-season, I might tinker and add a TINY bit of bend in my 'straight arm' depending on the replies here.
        Last edited by dpremsagar; 09-30-2015, 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling typo

Comment

• I would straighten it "comfortably". The terminology is descriptive for the purpose of making distinctions and creating teaching images, but not set in sacred stone. I think you correctly perceive that Novak's arm isn't straight. Could be his joint structure or that he hits it slightly flexed. Murray's is straighter.
          If you truly are bent straight I wouldn't force it to try to get the straight line for it's own sake if your arm doesn't want to go there.

Comment

• This Month's Music Video of Novak Djokovic.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...s/novak_loose/

Nice Gordon Lightfoot tune. Deep track from his 'East of Midnight' Album.

"If you've got a heartache
            Of the kind that will not pass by
            Even if you don't see the end
            Of what lies beyond the bend"

We've all been there.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Last edited by klacr; 10-08-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• You win dinner in the desert fall 2016.

Comment

• Perfect. Look forward to claiming my prize.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

• Castelli's! Or maybe Le Vallauris
                  Last edited by johnyandell; 10-08-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Regarding the racket drop position on the serve as outlined by your new series...
                    Do I need to change my racket drop if I am reaching the diagonal Venus Williams racket drop and not the perpendicular racket drop like roger federer? I'm just not sure whether you were trying to say the diagonal one was incorrect or just a variation.

Comment

• Change it! It will be diagonal before moving to the side but that is key, double key.

Comment

• My backhand side has also improved by a lot, but I am unsure of what grips to use and where to put my knuckles and heel pads. Right now my right index knuckle is right on the edge between 2 and 3, and my right heel pad(if I slid it up on to the racket) is right on bevel 1. My left hand index knuckle is on bevel 6 and the left heel pad is on bevel 5.
                        What would be considered optimal?
                        Last edited by eaglesburg; 10-12-2015, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Pictures would help. There is nothing such as optimum. I appears your bottom hand grip is a little weak and your top hand grip is a little strong. Let me see it though and then I can say more. Multiple angles like you did on your forehand.

Comment

• Here are some pictures of the grips of both hands. Let me know what you think.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I am trying to click on these with no luck. Can anyone else see them??

Comment

• It worked for me. If you can't see these, are you able to see the ones I emailed to you?
                                Last edited by eaglesburg; 10-14-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2676 users online. 8 members and 2668 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X