Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I looked at the ones you sent. I think you definitely should rotate the bottom hand a little further--at least get the knuckle on the edge between bevel 1 and 2. You should be able to hit a flat drive with the bottom hand grip--not just a slice.

As for the top hand--probably fine. Post some more video of the backhand as it is now and maybe I can get a sense of how the hands are working together.

Comment

• When the ball leaves the racket of a world-class server, does the ball actually travel upwards for a fraction, or does it travel dead horizontal for a spell before it starts to descend?

And can I take Karlovic out of this particular question.
      Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Yeah I looked at the ones you sent. I think you definitely should rotate the bottom hand a little further--at least get the knuckle on the edge between bevel 1 and 2. You should be able to hit a flat drive with the bottom hand grip--not just a slice.

As for the top hand--probably fine. Post some more video of the backhand as it is now and maybe I can get a sense of how the hands are working together.
        I'll try to get more video on the bm this weekend.

Is the bottom hand grip you are suggesting still ok for slice, volleys, and serves?

Comment

• Stotty

I think it's down--the racket tip is traveling upward but because of the angle of the arm (titled forward) the face of the racket is angled slightly downward when it strikes the ball. This whole issue though is really complex and confusing and it would be great if 3D data was as readily available as our beloved high speed video.

Comment

Stotty

I think it's down--the racket tip is traveling upward but because of the angle of the arm (titled forward) the face of the racket is angled slightly downward when it strikes the ball. This whole issue though is really complex and confusing and it would be great if 3D data was as readily available as our beloved high speed video.
            Yes confusing. We teach hit up on the ball and yet the ball descends immediately when struck. Should we just be asking our students to drive up, not hit up?

What about second serves? Any difference in trajectory when the ball leaves the racket?

I may post a thread on this one....
            Last edited by johnyandell; 10-16-2015, 12:18 PM.
            Stotty

Comment

• Yeah post another clip!

Comment

• What grip(s) do you recommend for volleys and slice? Do you think that you should choke up on volleys? Is it ok to switch my bottom hand two hand backhand grip for the one hand slice? Also for the two hander and for these grips where should my heel pad be?

Thank you!
                Last edited by eaglesburg; 10-19-2015, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• I think the grip on the bottom hand you originally sent me pictures of is close to ideal for both volley and slice. Or it could be slightly stronger--what maybe you shifted too. The knuckle definitely shouldn't grip onto bevel one and the edge between one and two is probably the limit. Again there are no right or wrong answers, only a range.

I'd suggest looking at the volley articles in Advanced Tennis. There is a grip discussion there including the issue of subtle shifts depending on the ball:

Comment

I think the grip on the bottom hand you originally sent me pictures of is close to ideal for both volley and slice. Or it could be slightly stronger--what maybe you shifted too. The knuckle definitely shouldn't grip onto bevel one and the edge between one and two is probably the limit. Again there are no right or wrong answers, only a range.

I'd suggest looking at the volley articles in Advanced Tennis. There is a grip discussion there including the issue of subtle shifts depending on the ball:

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...nd_volley.html
                    I think I'm going to stick with what I have. I was just a a little worried that it might make switching from my two hand backhand to my slice a little more difficult because of the slight grip change, but I think over time that will become so naturally ingrained that it won't be a problem.

On the forehand turn, if I feel a stretch in the lower left abdomen have I gone too far, or is that good? This is the separation angle, correct?
                    And does my finish matter at all or does it not matter as long as I'm getting proper extension? The reason I ask is that I am finishing lots of forehands higher and over my shoulder whereas before I almost never finished over my shoulder

Thanks!
                    Last edited by eaglesburg; 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Not sure about the stretch. Video would tell about the turn. If you are extending and hitting through and getting the spin you want more over the shoulder finishes make sense.

Comment

• John, To me, Jack Sock's forehand is a quite a weapon, even by the standards of mens pro tennis. It is kind of an unusual motion to, almost looks like an extreme side arm type 3 throw. What do you think about an interactive forum on it?

Comment

• John just wondering if your still liking the pocket radar. Have you found any new uses for it?

Comment

• Stroke,
                            I've been puzzling over it. We have some footage and I am going to take your suggestion and let you guys explain it to me...

Comment

• Bobby,

I've been using it with the Stanford players. Paul hired me to do video consulting. Just showing these kids their speeds can be a positive as well as the before and after...

Comment

• Is there a consistent read out when players are serving hard. The last gun I bought I was getting 1 in 10. It was a thousand dollar device. Basically worthless. That is why I am asking. Congratulations that sounds great working with Stanford.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3458 users online. 5 members and 3453 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X