This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-handed backhand; half-volley drive

Mr Yandell, your recent series on the one handed backhand would be enhanced by a short segment on the half-volley. Federer hit so many of these during his Wimbledon final. It seems to be a really easy shot for the two-hander, but a greater challenge for the one-hander. The high ones you can always just hit a slice, but this one shot has made my switching to the one-hander very difficult. Even when Fed makes contact, the drive tends to be weak if not well placed.
    Is there a change in grip? (I usually switch to a more extreme grip to stabilize the racquet face). Is this the one backhand that really requires that your head remain still, eyes fixed at the point of contact, like Federer does so well? Is the take-back the same? Always appreciate your work. -- Pedro

Comment

• Great questions! I don't have a ready answer but it is a great topic for investigation. It's officially on the list.

Comment

• Economical camera stand for high speed shooting

John, I got the Casio EXILIM High Speed EX-ZR850 on Amazon so I can film my strokes in high speed. I hope it works well.

What would be a good camera stand that would hold steady, support the camera properly and does not cause blurry vision and allows to change angle of shooting if needed?

Comment

• Basically any cheap tripod. Doesn't take much!

Comment

• John, the toss on the serve is essential and most club players get it wrong. I think it would merit a prominent article. I know you did "The myth of the toss", but I feel it merits more emphasis, since it is a bit hidden there. Would you consider a lengthier, more detailed article, stressing more the movement of the tossing arm?

Comment

• Check this out and see what you think:

Comment

• Excellent John. Sorry I missed it...

P.S. This type of toss also enables more shoulder rotation doesn't it?
                Last edited by gzhpcu; 09-21-2015, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Check this out and see what you think:

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/..._yandell/toss/
                  Great that Phil prompted me to run through this video article again. I just love the way Federer's tossing arm is locked throughout...yet totally relaxed. Just the best model out there.
                  Stotty

Comment

• John, just wondering about platform vs pinpoint stance on serve:

What is the difference between shouder rotation and torsion of shoulders in respect to the hips? It would seem to me that bringing the right forward in the pinpoint stance creates more torque between shoulders and hips (more stretch shorten), whereas the platform more shoulder turn. Is that right?

Comment

• A good question but so far as I know no one has tried to measure it. The big issue with the women who are close to 100% pinpoint is the early hip rotation.
                      My take on it is here. But it can't be that the pinpoint is completely useless considering how many good servers have used it. Just wonder how much better they might be/have been. Isner??

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                        A good question but so far as I know no one has tried to measure it. The big issue with the women who are close to 100% pinpoint is the early hip rotation.
                        My take on it is here. But it can't be that the pinpoint is completely useless considering how many good servers have used it. Just wonder how much better they might be/have been. Isner??

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...body_rotation/
                        Pinpoint: Isner, Krajicek, Ivanisevic, Arthurs, Stich, Roddick, Lopez, Tanner, Rusedski, Monfils, Tsonga, Ljubicic, Phillipoussis, del Potro, LaCroix

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
                          Pinpoint: Isner, Krajicek, Ivanisevic, Arthurs, Stich, Roddick, Lopez, Tanner, Rusedski, Monfils, Tsonga, Ljubicic, Phillipoussis, del Potro, LaCroix

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          I would argue that Monfils and Roddick are something other than platform or pinpoint. Could we call this stance a "pinform" stance?

Comment

• Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
                            I would argue that Monfils and Roddick are something other than platform or pinpoint. Could we call this stance a "pinform" stance?
                            I could accept and understand that argument since they don't technically bring their back foot up but instead begin in a narrow stance. But what defines a pinpoint? The location of both feet together at contact or sliding the back foot up during the motion?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

• I'd think feet apart: platform, feet together: pinpoint. Though by starting with the feet together you lose forward momentum.

Comment

• I think that the sliding is the key point because of how it affects the hip and sometimes shoulder rotation at the start of the motion.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2270 users online. 6 members and 2264 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X