X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just don't copy it!

Comment

• No way! Funny, I was expecting to see a great action, but in fact, it's a bit shakey and a marvel that he can produce the deliveries he does. His elbow is too low for starters...

Comment

• Leaving the elbow out of it the low toss little turn fast swing is not a great model for almost all

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Leaving the elbow out of it the low toss little turn fast swing is not a great model for almost all
          Elbow position looks great to me. What are you thoughts on that step back with the rear foot? It puts him in a real wide stance to commence the serve? Does it assist his serve or serve any worthwhile function or has he just stuck it in there to screw us all up?
          Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

Elbow position looks great to me.
            Ouch! To be honest, I only watched it a couple of times, then decided it wasn't something to dwell on. For me, amongst the many issues, the elbow looked good in the windup, but dropped during the backswing.

Comment

• Originally posted by glacierguy View Post

Ouch! To be honest, I only watched it a couple of times, then decided it wasn't something to dwell on. For me, amongst the many issues, the elbow looked good in the windup, but dropped during the backswing.
              Sincere apologies...that was a clumsy comment of mine. I will PM you about that one to save discussing in John's thread.

John, over to you re Kyrgios's backward step and subsequent wider stance. I notice he doesn't always do it so assume the back step contributes nothing other than perhaps providing him with a sense of power or rhythm or something?
              Last edited by stotty; 01-06-2021, 03:45 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

• Or something...I have no idea!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Or something...I have no idea!
                  Yes, well, I always remember this analysis article perhaps more than any other. This time the front foot moves back to bring the feet closer together allowing Andy to drive up more powerfully.

That was a great piece of analysis and you found value in a tiny part of Andy's serve that went completely unnoticed by most of us. As you often say: Only on Tennisplayer!

Stotty

Comment

• True.

Comment

• Just a thought for a future topic on instruction. Wondering if there is enough material on when to soften the hands on volleys besides when hitting a drop shot. A friend I was playing with who is high level player told me to soften my hands on low volleys even when I am attempting to heat deep. The advice did help.

Comment

• Good question. No way to measure and video won't show it. Informed opinion would be a possible way to go. Myself if the volley has pace I can't see it unless I am trying a drop shot, but... Now it is true you don't want a death grip. The racket is a bird in the hand. Tight enough to keep the bird there but not tight enough to kill it--that's what I believe...

Comment

• Any thoughts on the pros and cons of GreatBase as an instructional method, particularly for juniors?

Comment

• Don't know enough about the specific program to have an opinion on this. I know Andy is a great guy. Both he and Steve, whom I haven't met, were Braden disciples. If they still are that means big independent arm loops on forehand backswings, neutral stance above all, and super low toss serves. None of that would I recommend for a junior or any player.
                            Last edited by johnyandell; 02-09-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• John, What are your thoughts on Kei Nishikori's new service motion, if you've seen it yet?

Just changed as a response to surgery.

From ATP Site:

“I did it after elbow surgery [in October 2019] and last December. I was working with Max [Mirnyi], Michael [Chang] and a Japanese coach as well,” Nishikori said. “I tried to look again with my serve and I needed more power, but less use of my shoulder. I was hurting my shoulder too, last year

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/nish...%20last%20year.

"Nishikori’s refined motion is meant to reduce the pressure on his shoulder. In the past, before exploding up to the ball, he would drop his racquet backwards with his forearm so that the strings were nearly parallel to the court. The Japanese player “wasn’t 100 per cent sure” about addressing that, but he spoke to his coaches and moved forward with changing his form.

Can't find good close up vid of the serve, but I queued this YT highlight link to Kei-De Minaur. Maybe someone else has good vid of Kei in Rotterdam to share.

And the earlier match, queued to Kei serving, still not close up:

#

Comment

• Jim,
                                Can't tell anything from that video.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2597 users online. 4 members and 2593 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X