This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    OK then if you say so. Can't say I agree.
    Well, you had to catch him on one of those two days a year his shoulder wasn't injured, like Agassi did <g>.

Comment

• Great serving is not something that happens 2 days a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

That's great! Thanks. Good explanation and good article. (Plus a Pim-Pim reference! While Teltscher says even Pim-Pim can't hit 48 winners, I'm not so sure. If I recall correctly Johannsen hit 51 aces vs Agassi in four sets -- and lost. I still say Pim-Pim was the best server I've ever seen -- on the two days a year he's healthy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/24/s...smid=url-share
        Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Great serving is not something that happens 2 days a year.
        Britain's John Feaver hit 42 aces (a record that stood for many years) against John Newcombe in their 1976 Wimbledon encounter yet still went on to lose. Feaver had a lovely service motion. What was even more impressive is that he hit those 42 aces with a wooden racket...which is infinitely more impressive than doing it with a modern day bat. And for anyone who doesn't believe me, pick up an old Dunlop Maxply and try serving a few aces yourself.
        Last edited by stotty; 10-08-2021, 12:33 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

Britain's John Feaver hit 42 aces (a record that stood for many years) against John Newcombe in their 1976 Wimbledon encounter yet still went on to lose. Feaver had a lovely service motion. What was even more impressive is that he hit those 42 aces with a wooden racket...which is infinitely more impressive than doing it with a modern day bat. And for anyone who doesn't believe me, pick up an old Dunlop Maxply and try serving a few aces yourself.
          Well put -- and a great story. I vaguely recall (don't quote me) seeing long ago that a large majority of the highest ace matches were lost by the person hitting the aces.

Comment

Great serving is not something that happens 2 days a year.
            How true. But I was attempting a joke, since his shoulder injuries kept recurring. Great potential. Pim-Pim laid a straight sets beat down on Rafa, as I recall. Rafa said, "He's top 10 for sure." but nothing is sure in tennis.

Comment

• Great serving means using your serve to win big matches. Can we drop this?

Comment

Great serving means using your serve to win big matches. Can we drop this?
                Ok? Wasn't debating anything as far as I knew.

Comment

• OK then!

Comment

• John, Is there any way for you to know the number of views this website might be getting from either pro tour players or their coaches? I suspect the word on its quality is circulating and there are more pro lurkers than one might suspect.

Comment

• No way that I know of. Been a few over the years.

Comment

• Can you please help me understand in pratical terms what could Leilah change in terms of the hand position/raquet to have a type 3 fh? My specific question incides on noticing that at 10s of the video in the forum, she is in a outside position of the hand/racquet.. so if she had this configuration at the end of the backswing, in terms of outside position of the hand/racquet she would have the proper type 3 fh hand configuration? So maybe she is trying to emulate the type 3 fh that the guys do by bringing the raquet out at 10s, but loses it as she moves the racquet in afterwards..so a simple correction there, of bringing the racquet further back to the outside at the end of her backswing could have the desired type 3 fh effect. Another issue would then be the sequencing of the torso segments plus independent shoulder rotation to produce the forward force orientation required. Right? Thank you

Comment

• Yeah that's right. Look at the clip of Roger in the article and note the position of the racket head to the outside right of the hand. Worth a visit also to High Speed Archives to see this on dozens of other Roger forehands.

Comment

• Sorry I posted this in the wrong place " I was looking at Tyler's serve( in the Tour strokes) and there is a video where you show "Working from a new position, Tyler improved the timing of the entry of the racket into the backswing."
                            I would like to try this. Can you please tell me, how to get into this position please? ( I cant tell if the arm is externally rotated). Your help would be great.thank you"

I'm not able to film myself now, and would just like to know how to hold the racquet like you showed in Tyler's drill.. the drill you used to correct the timing of his trophy position and knee bend.
                            Can you please guide me on how to perform that drill? Thank you so much

Comment

• Without video there isn't much I can say. I have no idea what your wind up and knee bend look like or the timing between them. It not a question of "holding the racket," it's the position and timing of multiple complex elements.

Suggest you watch this: https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...zing_the_legs/ And all the other articles in the series.

Here is a good model also:

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...50fps.mp4&new=
                              Last edited by johnyandell; 12-09-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Hi John,
                                I appreciate you took the time to answer.. I understand that it's the position and timing of multiple complex elements.
                                I have seen Gordon's articles... I just want to try at home, the drill you gave, where he starts in the abbreviated serve positiion.. and what I'm asking is what is the configuration of the arm, in that position? In the abbreviated position is the arm externally rotated? Or neutral? Thank you
                                I just want to play with that for now
                                When possible I will send a video of my serve.
                                Thank you for helping me out

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3225 users online. 4 members and 3221 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X