X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony rx100 iv - Indoors

John -
    Very impressed with indoor picture quality, crystal clear. Used to Casio fh100 indoors, no comparison. Haven't figured out if 720 is an option.
    Sean

Comment

• So what are your record times?

Comment

• Sony rx100 iv

John -

Recording in: XAVC S HD / 1824 x 1026 / 60p 50m / 240fps / Quality Priority Setting / 2 second recordable duration

Sean

Comment

• So you not ready to record an entire Federer match for us yet...

Comment

• Serve model for the average shoulder?

Hi John,

Have a few more questions about the serve. I really like your analysis and agree that Fed has a model serve. The problem I have is that, much as I would like to visualize myself in or shadow his positions, I’m not going to come close without dislocating my shoulder. So, I tried to find a model with less flexibility, and came up with Nalbandian.

Comparing him to Fed, which differences are flaws in his technique, which are adaptations for his flexibility, and what can we learn from him?

In 1-Windup, Nalbandian seems to have a more abbreviated windup, with his forearm pointing more in front of his body. Is this because he needs to get his elbow higher and in front for his racquet drop?

In 2-Backswing past Trophy, Nalbandian’s elbow is higher than Fed’s-is this the position at trophy pose for a less flexible person? After trophy pose, Fed can continue to externally rotate his shoulder, so the forearm and racquet move as a unit, but Nalbandian’s forearm appears to stop, so the racquet independently moves downward and his wrist starts to lay back.

In 3-Lowest Racquet Position, Nalbandian’s back is arched (ouch), and he appears to have pushed his legs early-is this a flaw or an adaptation to compensate for a less externally rotated shoulder? Here is where I get confused about the forearm position, because Nalbandian’s actually appears more angled, but I think this might be because his elbow is higher and his torso is arched and angled.

In 4-Racquet Drop, Nalbandian’s elbow seems higher and more forward, which you have indicated would be the position for a less flexible person. The racquet also is not as perpendicular to the torso, but I wonder if this is all that Nalbandian can achieve.

In 5-Upward Swing, Nalbandian seems more open/facing the net, especially in the hips, with his back leg swung around more.

In 6-Completion of Upward Swing, Fed has that nice complete internal shoulder rotation. Nalbandian does seem to be able to rotate as much (or maybe tried to hit this 1st serve flatter) and his wrist is breaking forward more. His torso also looks more tilted to the left, and his hips and shoulders seem more open/facing the net.

So what do you think? Which aspects of Nalbandian's serve should one emulate? Obviously, I’d rather have Fed’s serve than Nalbandian’s, but perhaps Nalbandian’s might be all that can be achieved without a Plastic-man shoulder? Or is there a better model for the inflexible (who amongst the pros has the most inflexible shoulder—or perhaps it’s survival of the fittest and only those with very flexible shoulders can make it on the tour)?

Comment

• Nalbandian vs Fed

Sorry, pics didn't upload, and there is a limit of 5. Here's the pics for my post.
              Attached Files

Comment

• pv,
                Nice pictures. I think you are over thinking it. Even though there are pro models they are not models in the sense you can clone them.
                I am not sure that windup Nalbandian uses helps him or would help anyone else.
                He does have a higher elbow position but from that view you posted anyway he appears to have a deeper drop than Fed.
                What I would do is experiment with the more circular windup and the wind mill drill as explained in the serve series. the key is the racket drop. How high and how far forward does your elbow need to be to get the racket to fall along your right side?
                Model that position and now experiment with the windup to see how to get there or as close as your shoulder allows. I was working with an 81 year old guy the other day--he went from no drop to about half way to the drop and got a huge gain. It's a question of approximation. Remember many player like Roddick and Pete have somewhatdeeper drops than Roger.
                Here is the link to the article:

If you want to look at another guy with more of a ciruclar wind up check out Mark Philippoussis.
                Last edited by johnyandell; 08-05-2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Serve - "scarecrow finish"

John -

What are your thoughts on the elbow rolling back (scarecrow finish) after internal shoulder rotation, elbow extension, allowing the racquet head to accelerate in front of the hand? The best models would I guess be Pete Sampras, Taylor Dent, Andy Roddick & Pancho Gonzales.

Sean

Comment

• Sean,
                    Can you post a link to a clip in the archives?

Comment

• John,

What is the difference supposed to be between the ultimate fundamentals series and the teaching systems series? Will there be a forehand teaching system series?

Thanks,
                      Eaglesburg

Comment

• Fundamentals is hitting just the first 2 or 3 key points. I am working on an extended series of articles for later this year similar to the one on the serve.

Thanks for the great words on TW btw. The guy that was mentioning "leaning back"? What was that about. Was it on the same forehand clip I have?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                          Fundamentals is hitting just the first 2 or 3 key points. I am working on an extended series of articles for later this year similar to the one on the serve.

Thanks for the great words on TW btw. The guy that was mentioning "leaning back"? What was that about. Was it on the same forehand clip I have?
                          Ok got it. Thanks!

Your welcome! You earned it! The lean is on the clip I sent you. When I finish on my forehand many times my right leg swings around but my weight stays on my left leg so it appears that my upper body is tilted backwards.

Comment

• OK I will look at that also. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same clips.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                              OK I will look at that also. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same clips.
                              The guy on tw was referencing a previous video I posted, but the newer video I sent to you has it too.

Comment

• Ok it's related to other things as the article will discuss. Yes the Eagle's forehand is going to be in Your Strokes...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3992 users online. 4 members and 3988 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X