Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the forehand I hate the way you have started taking the racket back with the face so square and high. But yeah you are right about the shoulder turn. Extension is better. and that counts for a lot.

On the serve, the racket drop looks fine. You are footfaulting...maybe not most of the time I hope...but the biggest problem is that the contact is over your head not at the front edge of the face. That's mainly a toss thing but also a feel thing that you get used to...loss of pace for sure and can't be great for your shoulder.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 06-12-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      On the forehand I hate the way you have started taking the racket back with the face so square and high. But yeah you are right about the shoulder turn. Extension is better. and that counts for a lot.

On the serve, the racket drop looks fine. You are footfaulting...maybe not most of the time I hope...but the biggest problem is that the contact is over your head not at the front edge of the face. That's mainly a toss thing but also a feel thing that you get used to...loss of pace for sure and can't be great for your shoulder.
      Thanks John.

I'll work on it. But could you clarify what up mean when describing my racket face as too "square and high" in the forehand take back? I thought if anything the height of my take back has gotten lower.

Also is my weight transfer something I need to be working on or not really?
      Last edited by eaglesburg; 06-12-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Look that the tip of your racket is way over your head at the top of the take back.

If you coil well, have the right stance, have a good forward swing, so called weight transfer usually just takes care of itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Look that the tip of your racket is way over your head at the top of the take back.

If you coil well, have the right stance, have a good forward swing, so called weight transfer usually just takes care of itself.
          Ok.

Could you take a look at my backhand too in the thread I made?

Comment

• Ok

Comment

• Two-handed grips...the top hand.

John, is there on article or section of an article that deals with grips for the two-hander? I want to know what acceptable variations there are with regard to the top hand.

I am coaching a girl whose top hand (non-dominant) is in a semi western grip. The bottom hand is continental. The top hand it seems causes the racket face to close significantly during the backswing and most of the forward swing. I wonder if any top female players have succeeded with this kind of grip configuration.
              Last edited by stotty; 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

• hey john i have some quick feedback for you on thew site. i think speak for most people if not everyone. the videos are definitely the best to learn and understand for me, even better then pictures. i think you will agree as i know your big on seeing things in your minds eye. Love the site!
                another note it would be cool to see more doubles info like strategy and things
                thanks

Comment

• Jeremy,

Thanks for the comment!

You speak for a lot of people. But a lot of people, believe it or not still, love the written word--that includes me. (I know because I hear from them as well.) We are moving more toward a balance. But not every coach is suited to the video medium, so the word is unlikely to die on Tennisplayer.

Did you check out all the doubles stuff? Including in the patterns archive? Allen Fox, Louis Cayer, Previdi's Bryans? I am always open to finding new sources of great info.

Comment

• John I don't know if you have heard of Feisal Hassan, he has a great doubles mind. You can check out his stuff on FYB.com. I have learned a ton from him about doubles

Comment

• Know him pretty well. Good suggestion. I am going to see him in october.

Comment

• Feisal Hassan

John -

I have to agree with jeremy93, I've been following Feisal's doubles work for awhile (have seen his seminars a few times). His work on doubles is the best out there, he would be a great addition to the site and would create a lot of discussion.

Sean

Comment

• I know Feisal really well. I work with him on some USPTA committees. Great guy and has a collection of doubles strategies and seminars. Agree would be a nice addition.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

• OK he used to write for Tennisone, so I am guessing he may be available.

Comment

• John, the late Mark Papas wrote this. http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/e...wristsnap.html

He is about the only one to hold this view.

What do you say to these comments (since he mentions you in the article)... Thanks
                              Last edited by gzhpcu; 07-14-2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1835 users online. 4 members and 1831 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X