This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stotty,
    I would never say your serve is inferior! It's so frickin' precise and crisp. I have a theory that the lateral pinpoint is the vestige of the old days when you had to keep one foot on the ground and serve and volley predominated. Of course you brought the back foot around.
    If it was truly superior though even for that I don't think you would have seen all the great s and v players go left foot landing: the only exception being Becker. My own opinion is that in general it reduces the potential for leg thrust and body turn. Note Jerzy lands on the left foot.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      Stotty,
      I would never say your serve is inferior! It's so frickin' precise and crisp. I have a theory that the lateral pinpoint is the vestige of the old days when you had to keep one foot on the ground and serve and volley predominated. Of course you brought the back foot around.
      If it was truly superior though even for that I don't think you would have seen all the great s and v players go left foot landing: the only exception being Becker. My own opinion is that in general it reduces the potential for leg thrust and body turn. Note Jerzy lands on the left foot.
      Interesting. I never drove up much even when I was young, and I land on the right foot because I was always on my way to the net. I was thinking more "forwards" than "upwards".The theory that lateral pinpoint is a progression from "foot on the ground" might be a good one. I had no coaching when I was young so instead I copied. I copied Nastase who was also lateral pinpoint and landed on his right foot. He never drove up much either. Back then it was all about being fluid and having a classic motion. Serves are uglier these days and there is less emphasis on beauty. Players "muscle" the serve much more and focus on hitting key positions. No one seems to care much about weight transfer and fluidness...at least not in my view.

Personally I would take Federer's motion above all of the muscular servers on tour. Nasty's wasn't bad either.

I saw Benoit Paire at Wimbledon who has a lovely motion. He barely comes off the ground yet can hit bazooka first serves.

Last edited by stotty; 08-04-2016, 02:28 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

• If I had your serve I doubt I would change it!

Comment

• i am told 6 people have written on my subscription
          i cant find where to read them ...help please

Comment

• Written on your subscription? Not sure what you are asking Larry?

Comment

• Originally posted by llll View Post
              i am told 6 people have written on my subscription
              i cant find where to read them ...help please
              I think I know what you mean.

I think this is where you have contributed to a thread you then get notified if anyone else contributes. The notifications aren't necessarily to you personally and this is where it is confusing. It seems once you start contributing to a thread you get these notifications. You just then go to the thread and look for new posts.
              Stotty

Comment

• Probably correct Stotty...

Comment

• I cannot automatically input my signature Stotty after each post anymore.I try to set it in my account but it won't let me. I think this might be a problem unique to me because of the way account is set up for LTA members. It's not a big deal but no doubt Maniche might solve it in a jiffy.
                  Stotty

Comment

• Stotty Sent him a request!

Comment

• Is a rotary toss just as effective at creating body rotation on the serve as the stance (Federer's type stance)? Admittedly if the feet are aligned one behind the other (Becker) then you have to twist the torso more, but other than that, a rotary toss is another way to do the job, correct or not?

Stotty
                      Last edited by stotty; 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM.
                      Stotty

Comment

• Effective is a tricky term...I will always err on the side of simplicity...but what creates what?

Comment

• Do you have plans to expand patterns archive? It is amazing resource.

Comment

• I love it too. We have some older footage we may put up but the problem is the current ATP filming restrictions...until that is eased there is no way to develop new footage.

Comment

• The old stuff would be great!

Comment

• OK let me look into it!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2387 users online. 6 members and 2381 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X