This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

Interesting. I never drove up much even when I was young, and I land on the right foot because I was always on my way to the net. I was thinking more "forwards" than "upwards".The theory that lateral pinpoint is a progression from "foot on the ground" might be a good one. I had no coaching when I was young so instead I copied. I copied Nastase who was also lateral pinpoint and landed on his right foot. He never drove up much either. Back then it was all about being fluid and having a classic motion. Serves are uglier these days and there is less emphasis on beauty. Players "muscle" the serve much more and focus on hitting key positions. No one seems to care much about weight transfer and fluidness...at least not in my view.

Personally I would take Federer's motion above all of the muscular servers on tour. Nasty's wasn't bad either.

I saw Benoit Paire at Wimbledon who has a lovely motion. He barely comes off the ground yet can hit bazooka first serves.
    Wawrinka seems to have the kind of motion to which you speak. Certainly not much emphasis on deep leg thrust, and he looks likes a very relaxed motion to me.

Comment

• How do I upload a video into my post?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

• Hi John, do you have any plans in the near future to release more doubles specific high speed footage? (A bit like the footage you already have in patterns but in high speed). I'm especially interested in serve returns on the ad and deuce sides at an angle relatively close to court level.

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
          How do I upload a video into my post?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Good question. I'd like to know how to do this too?
          Stotty

Comment

• So something changed and you guys can't do it now? I will check...

Comment

• In the pattern archive Nadal Novak 2011 doesn't play at all.

Comment

• CPrompt It's possible. The issue now is the access. If we find opportunities to film doubles in practice we will but those are few and far between.

Comment

• Nadal Novak in patterns is still not functional. Just bringing to your attention again. thanks

Comment

• Thanks!

Comment

• Apologies if hip to shoulder angle/ separation, immediately prior to forward movement on the FH or BH has already been discussed ad nauseum, but I feel like this is an efficient way to slowly increase power if timing can be tamed. I increased ball velocity, while maintaining control, by at least 25%.(gained so much power that I blew a lumbar disc-too late in life to implement!). Can you point to a clip that best represents a large angle? Since this is such a last second stretch prior to forward movement, it is hard to see. I wish someone would rig a waist and chest strap with embedded laser as a cheap way to help visualize the separation angle- still 2D, but better than the cost/time factor to try to digitize it.

Comment

• The expression "hip to shoulder angle/separation," unfortunately, could mean almost anything, although I know you have something very specific in mind and believe in your 25 per cent increase.

Comment

• Doc,
                          I think you are thinking about this the wrong way. Yes the great players have it but they certainly don't know it or try to create it. I hope that had nothing to do with your injury. Get a full turn and left arm stretch and set up in a semi-open stance. (See some of the preparation articles in Advanced Tennis). That will maximize you power and that angle. The tricky thing with these biomechanical constructs even when true is cause and effect.

Comment

• John, I cannot get the frame by frame videos working in this article https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...protocols.html

Is it my end or yours that's the problem?

Stotty
                            Stotty

Comment

• Stotty,
                              Another great find by you! First one works for me not the bottom two though. Jeff is on it.
                              JY

Comment

• Taking pronation as a phase, when exactly does that phase start and finish?

Stotty
                                Last edited by stotty; 09-20-2016, 02:50 PM.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7750 users online. 3 members and 7747 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X