This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stotty,
    There is no such thing as pronation on the serve. Pronation is the rotation of the forearm from the elbow. The rotation you are thinking of his the rotation of the upper arm in the shoulder. That's from the drop to the extension as shown in this article. Calling it pronation is ok as a teaching term. Brian Gordon found though that it simply didn't exist in the serve.

Comment

• Thanks John. My tendency for biomechanical, left brain thinking overrides the right brain art form found in those with talent. No wonder I have to do "paint by numbers"!

Comment

• Doc,
        If you haven't you might enjoy working through my forehand series in teaching systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Stotty,
          There is no such thing as pronation on the serve. Pronation is the rotation of the forearm from the elbow. The rotation you are thinking of his the rotation of the upper arm in the shoulder. That's from the drop to the extension as shown in this article. Calling it pronation is ok as a teaching term. Brian Gordon found though that it simply didn't exist in the serve.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ell/the_serve/
          Thanks John. I get there is no such thing as pronation, though I doubt the term will fall out of the coaching lexicon any time soon.

I was studying part 2 of the Bruce Elliot article in the archives where he explains pronation is the movement of the forearm, and that pronation plays the role of positioning the racket (racket tip to the left at full extension) for impact. This is what I have always taken pronation to be myself. A course I went to recently had it down as from contact through to hand/arm rotation, so different.

I like your take on things in the video article. It's a better way to look at things, actually. Everything in a smooth serve in so interrelated anyway when you think about.

I am coaching twins (boys) aged 9 at the moment. Both have identical strokes more or less, except on the serve. One has a beautiful motion; the other's is a mess. I don't what went wrong at the start as I wasn't there. I wonder if I can rectify the faulty twin's serve so he can have a serve like his brother? Maybe I will post them on the forum...

Stotty
          Last edited by stotty; 09-21-2016, 02:40 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

• Stotty,
            Sure. But really for me if I can't go frame by frame I feel there is no way to figure out the reality.

Comment

• Am just a little troubled by a new screen encroaching into the space one uses to write a post. It has a button that says "Post Reply." Is this just my new computer or does it affect everybody? Thanks. There are other options for replying down below, it seems to me: "Post Reply" there too and "Quote."

Comment

• I don't see it.Just the one below.

Comment

• John -

More of your articles on Youtube. Rick Macci's ATP Forehand and Two Handed Backhands are up, posted by Sports for All & Tennis Coach, FYI

Comment

• Thanks! Couldn't find them though...got the url?
                    Last edited by johnyandell; 09-25-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• When I searched Rick Macci, clicked on Developing a ATP Forehand Part 2. The ATP Backhand showed up as well on the right side.

Comment

• Thanks!

Comment

• John, did you ever consider coming up with a tennisplayer app? (I am finally back!)

Comment

• A long story. More on that later perhaps. It would be a huge challenge for a media intense site like Tennisplayer. And would be limited to the phone. Our real next goal is a responsive mobile friendly site. Then maybe an app for side by side...
                            And yes through the efforts of Manish our programmer the waiting is over! Welcome back...

Comment

• I was thinking more in the direction of an iPad than a phone...

Comment

• Well the responsive site will scale to the ipad. The fact is over 50% of our traffic is on the phone. Worldwide that number is higher and only going up.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2996 users online. 10 members and 2986 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X