No announcement yet.

Slice Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what your setup position is with your hands but if the problem is a lack of power try this. Before you begin your motion make sure that there is
    almost ZERO tension in your hand, wrist and forearm. Let the full weight of the racket be supported by your hand or fingers and hold the racket with the least amount of tension that is physically possible. See if this doesn't help you get
    more of a "whip" effect and hence more power.

Comment

Another method to get ya' there

Hit a flat serve and notice the angle in which the racket attacks the ball (dead center of a clock) and then finishes (usually around 12 o'clock)--I know this is not what actually happens but that is the feeling you get on a flat serve. The feeling is that you are hitting the back of the ball and finishing with the racket going over the top of the ball.

Now hit that same flat serve and instead of finishing at 12 o'clock, try finishing at 1 o'clock. That should keep your serve at almost the exact same approach angle as your flat serve, with the properly directed pronation occurring right as you approach the ball.

Check the spin and if it doesn't have enough of a slice component to meet your needs, work your way towards 2 o'clock. If you get all the way down to 3 o'clock, you are going to have a very difficult time getting any net clearance.

I'd note, however, that adding a topspin component is much easier than adding slice when trying to play with greater margin on a second serve.

Hope that helps a little.

CC

Comment

[QUOTE=gzhpcu;11201]What do you think of this John?

Look at the slow motion video from Jim McClellan

[URL="http://www.essentialtennisinstruction.com/2010/07/14/want-sidespin-hit-the-side-of-the-ball-think-english/"]

Wow in my life i have never been able to a slice serve worth a damn! And i just played a couple sets, and just did what the gye said... and hit 4 slice aces in the duce court... they were almost hitting the side fence!

I allways had a huge twist. but couldnt figure out for the life of me, how to slice that dang ball... cant wait to hit a hundred or so tomorow... yea baby!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2854 users online. 13 members and 2841 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X