No announcement yet.

A changing of the guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found Rafa and Murray/Djokovic every bit as enthralling as Borg and McEnroe or Rosewall and Laver. There is no point being a "prisoner of your own generation" about these things. Each generation of tennis has been fabulous in it's own way. The wonder of today's tennis is that players have the ability to hit the ball absolutely flat out and control it. The Nadal versus Djokovic match was stunning for it's baseline court coverage and sheer power.

And at the end of the day, as most coaches know, there is no substitute for power. Short of a genius like McEnroe or Nastase coming along, the touch game is all but finished...so enjoy the game today for what it is. Borg, McEnroe, Laver and Rosewall are all in awe of today's game and openly and unashamedly say so...and why not, the game has never been played better.
    Stotty

Comment

I wouldnt say it is a full changing of the gaurd ok Novak has a unbelievable win/loss record this year however lets see what happens in the next 2 slams and if he is unstoppable there i will agree.
      Licnenced coach you make a interesting point in saying there is no substitute for power. I agree there isnt however unless you teach your students to have a rally ball that can construct the point they are no better then the local guy that smacks it and makes 50 unforced errors a set. Coaches that teach players just to T of on every ball make it hard for the player when he is 14-16 trying to make a go of tennis.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8848 users online. 11 members and 8837 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X